Does the latest version of Emsisoft Internet Security still have BSOD issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

If so this is what you need to do to eliminate the BSOD problem with EIS9

HotFix for Microsoft Windows (KB2958399)

http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows 7/Windows Server2008 R2 SP1/sp2/Fix499765/7600/free/474557_intl_x64_zip.exe

What was the BSOD Error Message? Was it IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ?

If it was, then exterminator20's suggestion is the correct one for W7 SP1. On the Emsi support forum this is the solution in 90 % of cases - but you really should post your issue on the Emsi support forum.

The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD is most commonly caused by Microsoft's netio.sys driver and is not caused by EIS.

Microsoft confirmed this issue a while back and has provided the Hot Fix, but does not include it with Windows Updates.

If you are missing this Hot Fix make sure you install the correct version for your system: x86 or x86-64.

If you get a BSOD immediately after the required installation reboot then that is an entirely different issue. Recently, Emsi made some changes to its drivers but they have been very stable in closed-beta testing.

EIS BSODs are not widespread, but are rather most commonly centered around either an existing install or incomplete uninstall of VirtualBox - or caused by Microsoft's netio.sys driver.

A few BSOD's have been caused by obscure 3rd party drivers, reported to Emsi via its support forum, and fixes applied...typically within days.

With the vast amount of software out there everyone needs to keep in mind that incompatibilities can creep up at any time...and cause a BSOD.

If anyone has won an EIS license then why not download EIS and evaluate it on your system using the 30-day trial.

Asking whether or not EIS will cause a BSOD on your specific system is a waste of time as no one knows; it might or it might not - and EIS' reputation for causing BSODs is not warranted. Emsisoft has received virtually all of the blame for Microsoft's screw-ups with some of its drivers...just like so many other AV vendors have been unjustly blamed because of Windows issues.

I don't understand why there is a fear of BSODs. If you configure your system to save mini-dumps then you can post your issue on the Emsi support forum with the dumps. It is extremely likely that Emsi staff will determine what happened, why and then provide you with a fix.

H

hjlbx

mo
No, I am running Windows 8.1 update 2, no virtual box and get the BSOD upon the initial reboot after the install. I tried to install the hotfix, but it stated it's not for this system.

The MS Hot Fix is for W7 SP1 systems only.

Are you sure Kaspersky was completely removed? ... this could be a problem if it was not.

What was the BSOD Error Code/Message?

Was it "DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS" !

If that was the message then what you have going on is most likely an Emsi driver issue. As I stated in my previous post they have recently made some changes. When that revision was first made I experienced a BSOD, submitted the mini-dump and a fix was made to the driver. Since then it has been stable...but that doesn't mean it cannot happen on your specific system.

In any case, without submitting a mini-dump to Emsi so they can get to the bottom of it using the symbol files it is kinda pointless.

I can assure you that if your submit your issue on the Emsi support forum you will get an answer from Development - and not some back-room cubicle help desk staff...no offense or disrespect intended.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I removed Kaspersky via the control pannel, rebooted then ran the removal tool. The BSOD happened straight after the initial reboot. I don't know, never looked to see the error message as I really don't understand them.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
If you are on Windows 8.1 and you are getting the BSOD on reboot there is probably leftover items from Kaspersky uninstall on your system.Even if you think KIS is completely uninstalled there will be leftover items.There would be no reason for EIS to cause a BSOD on Windows 8.1 without having or never having Oracle VirtualBox installed on your system.
This is obviously a conflict with something else and I would assume that being Kaspersky not being completely uninstalled.

I would do the following:

Reinstall Kaspersky or restore to a previous restore point

Follow the link provided by @illumination and use the Kaspersky removal tool
http://support.kaspersky.com/common/service.aspx?el=1464#block1

After complete uninstall and reboot try installing EIS 9 again

Kaspersky will always keep certain items in the registry particularly licensing details etc. If you do not untick this on regular uninstall these will be kept on your system

H

hjlbx

Hello Tony Cole,

Nice avatar !!

A BSOD on W8.1 system is rare, but it has been reported during the required reboot during EIS installation.

From the Emsisoft support forum, you will find the written memory dump either in the Minidump sub-directory of your Windows directory in case you enabled small dumps or in the file "memory.dmp" in your Windows directory for all other dump types.

Emsi support forum:

http://support.emsisoft.com/forum/70-emsisoft-internet-security/

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I will give it a try, not too sure whether to install EIS, or just keep to Kaspersky - are they both as good, in-terms-of protection?

H

hjlbx

Hello Tony Cole,

I can understand why you might be hesitant with the BSOD issue in your case.

Both Kaspersky or Emsisoft offer excellent protection.

Kaspersky Internet Security has more features.

Overall EIS is easier to learn and use...but that is only my opinion. I used to use Comodo Internet Security but dropped it when I found EIS.

My system is W8.1 AMD A8-6410 which is a low-end processor. EIS performs very well on my system; good performance and protection.

As you are having trouble installing EIS you will have to decide if you want to post the issue on the Emsisoft support forum.

If you re-install EIS and a BSOD occurs again, keep note of the Error Message that appears. You might want to have pencil and paper ready to jot it down quickly as it appears for only a short time. Even if you get a partial fragment of the Error Message I might be able to give you more info.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Tony Cole

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I like EIS on my Windows 8.1 installations.Since I use VirtualBox on my windows 7 installations the BSOD became an issue after the December update.I use KIS as well as ESET on different PC's.I prefer KIS on a machine that is higher end in terms of hardware,KIS provides excellent protection.I think you will be happy with EIS on Windows 8.1 also.Emsisoft offers excellent protection also and their customer support is second to none.It is worth giving EIS a try but you cannot go wrong with Kaspersky.

Reactions: Tony Cole
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.