Does TuneUp Utilities 2011 slow down PCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanF1

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Optimization tools have long moved from executing maintenance tasks on-demand to having components managing the resource usage in real-time. Turbo Mode, Live Optimization, Live Tuner - almost every optimization software now has the real-time tools to keep our system in optimal condition. TuneUp 2011 went as far as introducing Program Deactivator, which utilizes Programs-on-Demand technology to start "deactivated" programs on demand.

Just as is the case with the security software, what sort of impact, if any, does a maintenance software have on PC performance? Interesting article on the performance impact of TuneUp Utilities 2011.

TuneUp Tests on TuneUp Utilities 2011

I know it's been posted a while ago, but it was an interesting read for me, especially after suspecting TUU 2011 of having some negative impact on a netbook's performance [although in my case Turbo Mode, Live Optimization and Program Deactivator were all activated].

Note: the only TuneUp functionality enabled during this test was the Live Optimization [TuneUp Utilities Service].

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I did felt that TuneUp 2011 does have a noticeable system impact back when I was using XP, Haven't tried it on 7 yet,

NathanF1

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
BoXX28 said:
I did felt that TuneUp 2011 does have a noticeable system impact back when I was using XP, Haven't tried it on 7 yet,

It definitely feels heavier than TUU 2010, which felt a tad heavier than TUU 2009... Haven't used it on XP, but feels sluggish and more unresponsive than its predecessors on Vista and 7.
It is understandable that they want to have clear points of distinction from their competitors, but introducing real-time system monitoring and live optimization is bound to have some negative impact...

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Yes TuneUp keeps getting more heavier on my system, the 2009 was much lighter than 2010 and 2011 versions.

I turn off all Automatic Maintenance, disable Live Optimization and set "TuneUp Utilities Service" and "TuneUp Theme Extension" services to manual because it slows down my system. On default settings Auto Maintenance and Live Optimization is enabled. I also never use 1-Click Maintenance, since I rather do everything manually.

I only use TuneUp when I need it and manually close its services with Task Manager that way it doesn't slow down my system.

I have tried TuneUp Utilities 2011 on three different systems and it made them all noticeably slower.

Thanks.:D

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Well, If TuneUp would be going to make their software lighter, I just might buy it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
IMO, anything extra installed on your computer that requires to run on boot, will make your computer slower.

I haven't used TUU, since I don't see the need to run these types of software.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
it install a service, so i dont like it.

So how do you suppose it to run and optimise your system in the background?:sleepy:

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I am so sensitive to slowdowns that I only have an AV running in the background. I do not even use a firewall, not even XP's joke of a firewall. I am not saying this is a good idea for other users. I simply like my system as light as possible.

D

Deleted member 178

an old IT Pro jedi master said: unused RAM is wasted RAM.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
That is a good thing. ;) 13mb is a drop in the bucket as long as TuneUp Utilities does not interfere with any other needed programs running in the background.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Even though it uses 13 MB of RAM, What makes it heavy is the CPU usage and the I/O Writes, RAM usage doesn't matter as long as you're using a huge amount of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.