Does Windows Firewall/Defender has Antispam and Antiphishing protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Please let me know whether windows firewall\ windows defender in windows 8 has Anti-spam and Anti phishing protection? I'm planning to move to ESET NOD 32 AV from ESET SS.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Internet Explorer has Phishing protection.
Windows Defender is an Antivirus + Anti-spyware.
Windows Firewall is a Firewall for inbound and outbound protection.

Anti-Phishing can be found in many web browsers as well as 3rd party software or browser extensions.
Anti-Spam is usually a component of an Internet Security suite.

If you use Outlook (desktop), Thunderbird or another desktop-based email client, then you may want to install a Spam filter. Though if you use web-mail (Outlook.com, Gmail, Yahoo Mail) then the spam filters are in the options of your email provider.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Does windows Mail app( Metro ) has the filtering preferences?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No, because it's done through the webmail options. Mail app imports email using POP, IMAP or Exchange.

upload_2014-4-8_14-2-34.png

upload_2014-4-8_14-0-30.png

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/pop-email-accounts

This should answer your question, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...tegrated/6cf819b4-1c1c-4c0a-84c8-4a598565d23d
All the settings are done through the main email page not in the app. Example if you are using Hotmail you may go to Hotmail on the web and set up or configure the spam filter there and whatever you set there will carry over to the Mail app.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
does using a 3rd party spam filter helps me? If so which would be a better software for that. I had heard that Mailwasher is up to mark.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
that was older window mail ver 6.0 which is replaced by window live mail. Can't say which version it's . Why don't u ask in ESET forum about it ? if i get any information for u regarding this then i'll inform u :)

btw, @Huracan already give u answer " This should answer your question, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...tegrated/6cf819b4-1c1c-4c0a-84c8-4a598565d23d". it's better to use another mail app since it don't have any spam filter or calendar enhancement like stuff.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
No no, there is a difference between Windows Live Mail (from Windows Live Essentials), Microsoft Outlook (from Office) and Windows Mail App (Windows 8/8.1)

ESET Smart Security provides spam filter for desktop applications like MS Outlook, Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird etc. No support to Mail App in Windows 8. Like no other has the support for it, I think...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't think you understand. The Mail app in Windows 8 gets your email contents from your webmail account (ie. Hotmail), which does have spam filters in the settings.

In the past I've used the desktop version of Outlook 2007 and received a ton of spam mail.

btw, @Huracan already give u answer " This should answer your question, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...tegrated/6cf819b4-1c1c-4c0a-84c8-4a598565d23d". it's better to use another mail app since it don't have any spam filter or calendar enhancement like stuff.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I don't think you understand. The Mail app in Windows 8 gets your email contents from your webmail account (ie. Hotmail), which does have spam filters in the settings.

In the past I've used the desktop version of Outlook 2007 and received a ton of spam mail.

I already understand that coz i read that already. Gmail also have spam filters settings. but what if someone not use hotmail, gmail, aol, yahoo etc? that's why i told him to choose another good mail application which supports antispam component thnx :)

Reactions: Venustus

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I haven't heard an online web mail service that doesn't have a good spam filter, could you provide some examples?

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I haven't heard an online web mail service that doesn't have a good spam filter, could you provide some examples?
Not every mail service provider gives u 100% bulletproof antispam service. Smart spammers can still penetrates spam filter, if u search google u can see a lot complaints regarding poor spam filter of gmail , yahoo & other mail service in past & present. Also yahoo spam filter is weaker then Gmail, i read about it in some post. ever heard of Zimbara? some peoples complaints about their poor spam filter.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Of course, but users can set filters to exclusive and use spam filters by their email service. It won't be a complete solution, but can prevent spam from reaching your "Inbox".

Outlook.com
upload_2014-4-8_20-8-9.png

Side note: I've been lucky to not receive much spam. If you receive tons of spam, think about creating a new email account and slowly transfer over to your new email account. Ensure you've updated your email address for your online accounts, and stores.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
If you only use web-base email like most home users then you don't need anti-spam.
I didn't even know there was home users that still use email clients. EMail clients are not as secure as online web email since they download file attachments, spam and copies to your system. With web email, you only have to manually download attachments and copies are not downloaded. Gmail for example allows you to open documents without downloading them which is more secure and offers excellent spam protection.

Most security suites that include Anti-phishing, does not provide good detection. The best Anti-phishing detection is common sense (pay attention to your browser's address bar to make sure you are on the correct website) but you can add browser add-ons like WOT, Webutation, Netcraft Toolbar, Norton WebSafe, etc. which can provide better Anti-phishing protection than what is provided by security suites.

Anti-spam and Anti-phishing protection are two features that most home users will never need as a part of security protection since there many alternatives which work better.

Thanks. :D

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
If you only use web-base email like most home users then you don't need anti-spam.
I didn't even know there was home users that still use email clients. EMail clients are not as secure as online web email since they download file attachments, spam and copies to your system. With web email, you only have to manually download attachments and copies are not downloaded. Gmail for example allows you to open documents without downloading them which is more secure and offers excellent spam protection.

Most security suites that include Anti-phishing, does not provide good detection. The best Anti-phishing detection is common sense (pay attention to your browser's address bar to make sure you are on the correct website) but you can add browser add-ons like WOT, Webutation, Netcraft Toolbar, Norton WebSafe, etc. which can provide better Anti-phishing protection than what is provided by security suites.

Anti-spam and Anti-phishing protection are two features that most home users will never need as a part of security protection since there many alternatives which work better.

Thanks. :D

Totally agree,your name should be (BIGBITS) not littlebits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.