Don't Look at Your Phone Screen

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Copy and Paste to open in Reader mode: read://https_www.dailymail.co.uk/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fsciencetech%2Farticle-8377011%2FStaring-phone-screen-bed-make-depressed.html for new Microsoft Edge.

Staring at your smartphone or tablet screen when you should be sleeping could be making you DEPRESSED, scientists claim
  • Blue LED light from smartphones, tablets and laptops can harm the eye's retina
  • Scientists have identified a neural 'depressive' pathway triggered by blue light
  • About two hours of blue light at night for weeks can cause depressive behaviour
  • Lab trials suggest blocking brain signals triggered by light can alter this however
The research team found that mice exposed to blue light for two hours a night over a few weeks started showing depressive-like behaviour.

But by blocking brain signals that are triggered by blue light at night, the mice no longer showed behavioural changes.

The neural pathway responsible for this phenomenon may provide insight into how exposure to excessive light at night time affects humans.

Source [Paywall]: A circadian rhythm-gated subcortical pathway for nighttime-light-induced depressive-like behaviors in mice

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Prefer f.lux myself. Allowing it to slowly change the colour over time instead of suddenly jumping into Orangeville feels more natural.
Have you tried it in combination with Bedtime mode? It makes everything greyscale to help you "wind down" according to Google. Can be found in the Android Settings > Digital well-being & parental controls.

Reactions: show-Zi

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Have you tried it in combination with Bedtime mode? It makes everything greyscale to help you "wind down" according to Google. Can be found in the Android Settings > Digital well-being & parental controls.
I'm aware of it but I don't use it. My phone has a built-in blue light filter which I prefer.
Should've mentioned I only use Flux on desktop as the Android version requires root. 😖

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.