Download Ninja 1.0.3.0 (With Media Downloads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
Hi all,

I've just released version 1.0.3.0 of Download Ninja that includes media downloads. There is currently no browser integration for media downloads (I'll look at that next) but its still easy to download a file.

Media downloads are supported from over 200 websites including:
  • Youtube
  • Daily Motion
  • Vimeo
  • CNN
  • SoundCloud
To download a video/audio track just add the link to DN and at the bottom of the add download window you will see a new button that says "Scan this URL for Media".

dn-scan-media.png

Click on that button and DN will load a list of available media downloads from that page and display them in a combo box.. then just select the one you want and click on either Quick Download or if you want more download options click on Detailed Add...

dn-scan-media-2.png

As well as media downloads I have also added these fixes/enhancements:

v1.0.3.0 (July 4 2014)

Enhancements
  • Firefox plugin released
  • Add better error reporting for unhandled exceptions
  • Added additional screen when adding a download
  • Added referer to request
  • Added correct management of cookies between http redirections
  • Added cancel button on download check
  • Added media grabber v1 (youtube, daily motion, 200+ websites)
  • Added download summary window
  • General improvements
Fixes
  • Fixed issue with ‘Start Minimized’ crash
  • Fixed issue with log not being populated if start minimized selected
  • Fixed blank default download folder in XP
  • Fixed issue where destination filenames can contain invalid chars + associated crashes
  • Fixed bug where Max downloads was not set at startup
  • General bug fixes

Those with the app installed should get an auto-update notification at next startup or you can download it here:

Download Latest Download Ninja or see Download Ninja Change Log

Mike

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Can we perform an over the top installation? Or a fresh installation required?

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
Can we perform an over the top installation? Or a fresh installation required?

You can download and install over the top.. the installer removes the previous version (not configs) so you don't need to worry about uninstalling first.

Reactions: Ink

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
Thanks, downloaded.
During installation, never had this the first time around.
- Windows 8.1 Update x64
View attachment 14679

This is the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redist Package (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5582)

As I mentioned in a previous thread the video site parsing is provided by Youtube-DL (http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/) which is a small command line program that does a great job of parsing video websites and is very widely respected.

That program requires that the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 package is installed on the machine to work.

Mike

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
So media come in ah :cool:? What i expect for this download manager is that it should be better than paid versions:D, and of all better than IDM;)

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
First of all Download Ninja itself does not Install Chrome Extension, I need to Install it manually from chrome store.
& Even I tried to Download TeamViewer 9 from www.filehippo.com , DN detected it but does show an error, I need to right click than click on Download with DN than it works.

In DN Extension, You should add a option to scan the current webpage for media, which would be better.

Reactions: Rahadian Putra

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
Hello everyone!

Thanks for the update, media grabbing feature seems to work fine! ^^

Although, I have a little trouble with URL detection from clipboard. Here is how to reproduce it:

1. Download some exe file from a website (for instance: wxw.example.com/example.exe). Show an alert when an URL is detected from the clipboard is enabled, but not automatically.
  2. Find an URL containing a media and copy it to clipboard (wxw.anotherexample.com/mediaexample.flv). The alert with the right URL is shown, I left click on it but...
  3. The URL pasted in URL field in new download window is for example.exe, not mediaexample.flv!

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
Sorry for the double-post, it is to inform people that they should avoid Youtube 1080p videos, they wouldn't have any audio from downloaded files :s

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
First of all Download Ninja itself does not Install Chrome Extension, I need to Install it manually from chrome store.
& Even I tried to Download TeamViewer 9 from www.filehippo.com , DN detected it but does show an error, I need to right click than click on Download with DN than it works.

What was the error? I just tried that download myself both with extension and without, seems OK.

In DN Extension, You should add a option to scan the current webpage for media, which would be better.

I have mixed thoughts about this. I realise that other download managers automatically install extensions but my personal opinion is that I don't like it when they do that. I'd like to install it manually for the browsers I want.

Secondly is that the browsers also don't want you to automatically install extensions and activity try to stop third party programs from doing it.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions about this.. should an installer attempt to install a browser extension directly (forcing the browser to close etc) or should it just send the user to a browser plugin page?

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
Hello everyone!

Thanks for the update, media grabbing feature seems to work fine! ^^

Although, I have a little trouble with URL detection from clipboard. Here is how to reproduce it:

1. Download some exe file from a website (for instance: wxw.example.com/example.exe). Show an alert when an URL is detected from the clipboard is enabled, but not automatically.
  2. Find an URL containing a media and copy it to clipboard (wxw.anotherexample.com/mediaexample.flv). The alert with the right URL is shown, I left click on it but...
  3. The URL pasted in URL field in new download window is for example.exe, not mediaexample.flv!

thanks for pointing this out.. fixed in next release

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
Sorry for the double-post, it is to inform people that they should avoid Youtube 1080p videos, they wouldn't have any audio from downloaded files :s

yeah it seems Youtube has a lot of video only videos for some reason.. I've made a change in the app to show more info:

dn-scan-media-3.png

Will release a new version sometime over this weekend once I've made some changes to allow media scanning from within the extensions. :D

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
yeah it seems Youtube has a lot of video only videos for some reason.. I've made a change in the app to show more info:

dn-scan-media-3.png

Will release a new version sometime over this weekend once I've made some changes to allow media scanning from within the extensions. :D

As for Youtube, it is "normal", EagleGet has the same trouble. IDM can do it correctly, but I think it is because it downloads both video and audio data then merge them into one video file at the end of the download.

Thank you very much for your quick answer and bugfixing work! :D

Reactions: MikeD

MikeD

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2014
I was wondering if that might be the way they are going.

One single audio track with multiple video tracks so they don't duplicate the audio on each video track.

If that is the case DN will def have to look at merging video+audio before long :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'd be interested to hear your opinions about this.. should an installer attempt to install a browser extension directly (forcing the browser to close etc) or should it just send the user to a browser plugin page?

I'd say keep it optional / opt-in.

I dislike software that install browser extensions, because the user doesn't get to approve the Permissions beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.