DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
DRACUS' GOLDEN RULE
"Make sure you always have at least one clean, full system backup image created using your preferred system backup application, so that you can restore your system to its exact state, as it was when you created that system image."
MY CUSTOM COMODO FIREWALL CONFIGURATION
(ignore the "Antivirus" settings since they only apply to COMODO Internet Security, not COMODO Firewall)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

COMMENT(S):

I have made modifications to various Windows 10 objects in order to disable most functionality related to Microsoft's atrocious data mining policy and blocked many hostnames related to Windows 10 data mining functions. (e.g. blocked the Vortex hostnames globally on my machine using COMODO Firewall)
It might not be possible to fully disable Telemetry in non-Enterprise versions of Windows 10, but at least I can try making it more difficult for Microsoft to collect random information about me (statistical usage data or otherwise)

I am not running and will not be running any signature-based antivirus/anti-malware software. In my opinion, it is redundant nowadays and any average users and above who practice safe computing habits have no need for such software.

I have considered setting UAC back to the default level of protection, and while I realize its kernel-level protection capabilities, in the end I found that I had no real need for it, and so I kept it turned off. (same applies to Windows SmartScreen)

I consider Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition as one of the best backup applications, and in the future I might be switching to it, from Acronis True Image, which is my current backup application.

Regarding UAC/SmartScreen: I simply find these security features redundant for my case, given my safe browsing/computing habits. (I only use this main PC for gaming, VFX, coding, and browsing known safe sites).

I have a dedicated PC for software testing, downloading, and browsing sites of unknown reputation, and I perform tests in virtual machine installed on this PC.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The setup I have on both my main desktop and my laptop. (the setup I have on my testing machine is too secure to be practically usable, so it differs from the one I use on my main machine)

Just the necessities, of course.

First thread in MalwareTips too. Didn't even check out the Introductions forum (yet). D:

Suggestions and feedback are welcome!

First thread on MalwareTips hype!

LsNJRHh.gif

[Captain Haddock from The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn - hilarious guy]

Last edited:

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
> What about on demand scanner as a backup? Just encase?
> Any bugs with Comodo?
> Are you using Comodo Sandbox? On your browsers? Any problems?
> Start-up time? Your thoughts?
> Are you using cruelsister setup on Comodo?

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello @DracusNarcrym, you've a very thorough first thread posted both orderly & with flare!:):)
I admire your system's combination of Window 10 (Their Newest O.S.) with COMODO'S Internet Security (The classic enthusiast's custom fortress)! I do think very highly of it's entire package,:cool: and have found it has granted new life to our little used XP system.:p

CCleaner is an excellent safe tool I make use of daily, ..and sometimes even more!:rolleyes:
I've recently re-discovered a marvelous free software, Privazer Free PC cleaner
which is also available in a portable version. In fact I'm scanning with it whilst I type these words!o_O It is also safe, as well as being approved by a number of "The Wise Oracles" here on MT whom have other jobs which disallow their merely sitting about in their Temple of Online Security High upon Mt. Olympus!:p:D With different priority settings Privazer can work whilst you do other things on your system as I am now!;) I do recommend un-checking the box for "Registrys" the cleaning of which I believe unnecessary as I've only (consciously:confused:) done it before with CCleaner,:D although if you prefer, Privazer does back up registrys as a fail safe. It is truly an amazing tool.

I'd liked the Adblock Plus subscriptions you'd chosen which we share in common, I have a slightly longer list while using uBlock Origin, although it uses very low system resources, and is developed by the original developer of uBlock himself.
You can read more about it here: uBlock Origin

Thanks for sharing, and letting me share with you!:):)

PS I liked Captain Haddock!!:p

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Now that should solve everything, Comodo's components are full of interesting that you can tweak as many possible outcomes just be sure that don't always to obsess and continue your productive tasks. ;)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
You obviously know what you are doing and seem to have most everything covered.What works for you on your system is the best config! Thanks for sharing it :)
You could consider one or two more on demand scanners but not a necessity.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Thank you very much, everyone, for replying! I appreciate your thoughts very much! :p

I'm afraid I did not mention a crucial part of my configuration (on-demand scanners), which is COMODO Cleaning Essentials. I know it does not have any different signatures than COMODO Internet Security, however the tools it offers make a great difference when countering infections or when doing that regular paranoid "better-safe-than-sorry" check.

I also added Eraser and KeePass to the privacy list. KeePass I use daily, almost hourly, I can't believe I did not add it in the first place. As far as Eraser goes, I use it rarely, but I have it just in case I have important files to securely delete. I did not realize I had it until I looked at the Windows Context Menu entry for it. :D

Maybe just add a couple of on demand scanners otherwise it looks like a good setup to me. :)

Thanks for sharing. ;)
You obviously know what you are doing and seem to have most everything covered.What works for you on your system is the best config! Thanks for sharing it :)
You could consider one or two more on demand scanners but not a necessity.
Thanks for the feedback guys! I have indeed thought about adding additional custom scanners, and coincidentally as I dug through my old "Tools" folders I found a legacy version of Emsisoft Emergency Kit, which I have already updated as of the date this reply was posted.
Thanks again for pointing that out guys! Also which other on-demand scanners would you recommend?

> What about on demand scanner as a backup? Just encase?
> Any bugs with Comodo?
> Are you using Comodo Sandbox? On your browsers? Any problems?
> Start-up time? Your thoughts?
> Are you using cruelsister setup on Comodo?
Hello @DracusNarcrym, you've a very thorough first thread posted both orderly & with flare!:):)
I admire your system's combination of Window 10 (Their Newest O.S.) with COMODO'S Internet Security (The classic enthusiast's custom fortress)! I do think very highly of it's entire package,:cool: and have found it has granted new life to our little used XP system.:p

CCleaner is an excellent safe tool I make use of daily, ..and sometimes even more!:rolleyes:
I've recently re-discovered a marvelous free software, Privazer Free PC cleaner
which is also available in a portable version. In fact I'm scanning with it whilst I type these words!o_O It is also safe, as well as being approved by a number of "The Wise Oracles" here on MT whom have other jobs which disallow their merely sitting about in their Temple of Online Security High upon Mt. Olympus!:p:D With different priority settings Privazer can work whilst you do other things on your system as I am now!;) I do recommend un-checking the box for "Registrys" the cleaning of which I believe unnecessary as I've only (consciously:confused:) done it before with CCleaner,:D although if you prefer, Privazer does back up registrys as a fail safe. It is truly an amazing tool.

I'd liked the Adblock Plus subscriptions you'd chosen which we share in common, I have a slightly longer list while using uBlock Origin, although it uses very low system resources, and is developed by the original developer of uBlock himself.
You can read more about it here: uBlock Origin

Thanks for sharing, and letting me share with you!:):)

PS I liked Captain Haddock!!:p
Now that should solve everything, Comodo's components are full of interesting that you can tweak as many possible outcomes just be sure that don't always to obsess and continue your productive tasks. ;)
I have not had any bugs or problems with COMODO Internet Security, I have configured it for maximum control where necessary (some tweaks in HIPS and network Firewall), I don't really use Auto Sandbox but I do run unknown "portable" executables in it or sometimes my browsers, just in case. I also rarely use Virtual Kiosk for some transactions. Although my COMODO IS config is entirely personal customizations, I will check out cruelsister's config recommendations, I saw the thread around the forums, they sound effective!
One thing though, I do miss the "Purge" function for the "Trusted Files" list in CIS. There are a lot of obsolete entries there and it's near impossible to remove them manually. I know there must be a reason why it's been removed, however it does feel like a missing feature for COMODO IS, as far as I'm concerned.
Start up times are extremely short for my desktop PC (high-end CGI/gaming PC) as I have fast-clocked RAM and my OS is installed on a 256GB SSD, so I would say around 10-15secs or so, but that estimate may be inaccurate since I have never really calculated it. In my latpop it varies from 30secs to 1min or so, again not entirely sure.
Also, I just added PrivaZer portable to my on-demand cleaning utilities! It's absolutely fantastic, thanks for the suggestion!

Lastly, I'm updating some information about my browsers and adding some new pieces of software to the list.

Sorry for the long reply, I'm just really grateful for you guys responding and I gave it my best, hahah! :D

P.S. This post might be edited multiple times to correct any mistakes. :p

Last edited:

yashiscool

Level 2
Verified
Jan 10, 2013
Excellent Config.. I have almost the same config except that I have additionally put cfosSpeed for encrypting network packets, Traffic Shaping and optimization.

I suppose you must be having at least 8 GB RAM with that kind of config cuz I have 12GB RAM with a similar config. :)

Last edited:

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Excellent Config.. I have almost the same config except that I have additionally put cfosSpeed for encrypting network packets, Traffic Shaping and optimization.

I suppose you must be having at least 8 GB RAM with that kind of config cuz I have 12GB RAM with a similar config. :)
Thanks for the good feedback, and the suggestion! I will definitely look into it!

Also, small update: I added BitDefender TrafficLight to my Firefox/Waterfox addons, although I have disabled it as I use Adblock Plus' Malware Domains filter list and the MbAM Malicious Website Protection module instead.
So far, any potential malicious link (mostly some suspicious image hosting sites on forums) have been successfully blocked by MbAM.

S

Sr. Normal

Very strong config. :)

I really like to see how have combined the different elements: Comodo, Malwarebytes ... The only thing I would change would COMODO Cleaning Essentials by EEK, considering that you use Comodo IS, I would look for a different demand scanner and EEK is my favorite.

I really like your config. Thanks for sharing it :)

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

The setup I have on both my main desktop and my laptop.

Just the necessities, of course.

First thread in MalwareTips too. Didn't even check out the Introductions forum. D:

Suggestions and feedback is welcome!

First thread on MalwareTips hype!

tumblr_mf4echFXce1rso6yqo1_400.gif

[Captain Haddock from The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn - hilarious guy]
You should turn UAC on :)

Reactions: Logethica

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Very strong config. :)

I really like to see how have combined the different elements: Comodo, Malwarebytes ... The only thing I would change would COMODO Cleaning Essentials by EEK, considering that you use Comodo IS, I would look for a different demand scanner and EEK is my favorite.

I really like your config. Thanks for sharing it :)
Thanks a lot man! Emsisoft Emergency Kit is already included in my antimalware toolkit! :D
You should turn UAC on :)
I really have no current need for it since I use COMODO HIPS as a substitute. It might be that UAC works on a kernel-level, but still I feel that it is not required for my current setup. Thanks a lot for the suggestion though! It has become more of a habit for having it turned off, and ever since I first used Windows 7 I have not had the need for it. :p

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
[UPDATE] Sunday, 6th December 2015

ADDED: AES Crypt, Daum PotPlayer x64
REMOVED: N/A
CHANGED/UPDATED: N/A

COMMENTS: PotPlayer was recommended to me by other members in a thread here on MalwareTips. I tested it and found its features plentiful and useful, and as such I decided to add it to my non-security software config.
I also added AES Crypt as an additional alternative encryption application (of course I'm not going to be using all of my encryption software at once - I just have them installed as alternatives, and I currently use 7-Zip for encrypting my files).
Thanks to all members who contributed to this thread and recommended PotPlayer to me! I really appreciate your suggestions! :p

Last edited:

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
You may also what to look into the following:

demonsaw - Believe in the Right to Share!
CopyMik 2.8 Beta Build 3 (Freeware)

Feedback and opinions greatly appreciated!
Just in case, I over look something?;)
CopyMik seems like a versatile utility, so far I have been using ACDSee for the complex renaming, but I've never seen a tool that can perform all of these functions at once - encrypting/decrypting, complex renaming/copying, and the like!
demonsaw seems like an amazing and powerful concept... I can't wait till it becomes more popular among users so that we can all benefit from enhanced, near-maximum protection of our privacy!

Thank you, @Moose, for your suggestions! I have already started using CopyMik to sort out some images and documents before I upload them to MEGA, and I will definitely be using demonsaw in the future!

A

Alkajak

1. How do you feel about Opera over Firefox? Been using Firefox over Chrome for a long time, but I recently tried Opera and fell in love with it. I'm a little bit more used to Firefox at the moment, but I can see Opera has amazing performance too, I even feel it has a slight edge over Firefox right now.

2. With the above said, have you tried the newest unreleased version of Firefox 64bit? Here's a link from Illumination's thread. I would put the 64bit Firefox performance at the same level as Opera. 32bit Firefox is a bit sluggish in comparison.
Firefox 64bit

Reactions: Logethica

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
1. How do you feel about Opera over Firefox? Been using Firefox over Chrome for a long time, but I recently tried Opera and fell in love with it. I'm a little bit more used to Firefox at the moment, but I can see Opera has amazing performance too, I even feel it has a slight edge over Firefox right now.

2. With the above said, have you tried the newest unreleased version of Firefox 64bit? Here's a link from Illumination's thread.
Firefox 64bit
1. I have tried Opera, in the past, when it was simply an ordinary browser with little market share. Back then I have to say, it was as ordinary as Firefox was. It's most presented feature, Speed Dial, did not really impress me, and it hasn't impressed me now, as I do not have any personal use for it. As far as speed is concerned, I really don't believe that any browser is much faster than the other. They are all pretty much the same. Opera is nice and all, but for some reason, I still like Firefox. Sepcifically, the Cyberfox variant of Firefox.

2. I have finally found a x64 variant of Firefox that I like: Cyberfox. I used to use Waterfox, but that goes a long time un-updated due to various errors with its compiler every time a new update is released (Waterfox generally has delayed updates). I use Cyberfox Intel Version x64 Portable and is working beautifully. I don't think I will be switching to a new browser anytime soon. :D As for the pure Firefox x64 build, I will give it a try, but still, I believe I have settled with Cyberfox for the moment. :p

Thanks a lot @Alkajak for the information and the suggestions! I surely appreciate them and will be looking into them in the near future! :p

L

LabZero

Very good and well implemented setup.:)

About PrivaZer, you can consider the installable version that offers the opportunity to program the data erasure process, so keeping your system automatically clean.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.