DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
DRACUS' GOLDEN RULE
"Make sure you always have at least one clean, full system backup image created using your preferred system backup application, so that you can restore your system to its exact state, as it was when you created that system image."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

COMMENTS:

I am using a custom configuration for COMODO Firewall.

I have made modifications to various Windows 10 objects in order to disable most functionality related to Microsoft's atrocious data mining policy and blocked many hostnames related to Windows 10 data mining functions. (e.g. blocked the Vortex hostnames globally on my machine using COMODO Firewall)
It might not be possible to fully disable Telemetry in non-Enterprise versions of Windows 10, but at least I can try making it more difficult for Microsoft to collect random information about me (statistical usage data or otherwise)

I am not running and will not be running any signature-based antivirus/anti-malware software. In my opinion, it is redundant nowadays and any average users and above who practice safe computing habits have no need for such software.

I have considered setting UAC back to the default level of protection, and while I realize its kernel-level protection capabilities, in the end I found that I had no real need for it, and so I kept it turned off. (same applies to Windows SmartScreen)

I consider Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition as one of the best backup applications - if I ever were to choose an alternative, that would be Macrium Reflect Free.

Regarding UAC/SmartScreen: I simply find these security features redundant for my case, given my browsing/computing habits, and I am confident with this decision. (I only use this main PC for gaming, VFX, coding, and browsing known safe sites).
Through my extensive experience of these features since Windows Vista, I can safely say that I personally gain from using them, as much as I lose from not using them: Nothing considerable.

I have a dedicated PC for software testing, downloading, and browsing sites of unknown reputation, and I perform tests in virtual machine installed on this dedicated PC.

Last edited:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Thanks for sharing!

Lets say that I've heard different opinions about UAC.
Some people think that it is a useless feature because is not able to guarantee the safety as it may be bypassed and this is the typical attitude of the theorist researcher, who compares pure problems and concepts :)

Although a deep part of me agrees with this kind of attitude, I don' t feel to share this point of view: we're talking about technology and applied science (computer and operating systems), not of pure science. And how do you see the User Account Control who has seen evolve the security model of Windows operating systems from some years until now? It is a turning point, a fundamental innovation that seeks to change the operating system and the entire ecosystem that relies on the Windows platform towards the realization of a software model that can apply in the ideal way the concept of “least privilege” to protect users.
It is not possible to understand the value of User Account Control if you do not consider the departure point, the arrival point and the system where it is necessary to move.
This evolutionary path is clear, aim at the application of the principle of “least privilege”.
Windows has always required too many privileges to make the activity more or less administrative with the result that applications and users have preferred the easy way of operating with administrative privileges (even when not strictly necessary) so as to avoid the hardships imposed by attempting to use the “least privilege”. The key point is the impact analysis: it would have been too easy to go from X to Y by writing the operating system from scratch, the real challenge is to evolve what you have by creating less discomfort as possible to the whole of the immense library of applications that have been made over time.
UAC seeks to make so that users should not need administrative privileges, without having reason, and that anyone who writes applications can do it using credentials from the limited privileges, all of this while safeguarding, to the extent possible, all existing applications and by limiting the issues of application compatibility through virtualization of legacy applications. It is clear that in this path of migration of the architecture you already get concrete benefits of security and malware protection: in front of the security model offered by the UAC, even those who write malware has to adapt more sophisticated codes. If we add this aspect to the value introduced from the other security features introduced in Windows10 we get the effect of the effective protection offered by the principle already mentioned of the "defense in depth": if the result is to have reduced the attack surface and therefore have better protection, we can say that the UAC is a useful security feature.

My humble advice: do not disable UAC, use it in the best way with its full potential.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Thanks for sharing!

Lets say that I've heard different opinions about UAC.
Some people think that it is a useless feature because is not able to guarantee the safety as it may be bypassed and this is the typical attitude of the theorist researcher, who compares pure problems and concepts :)

Although a deep part of me agrees with this kind of attitude, I don' t feel to share this point of view: we're talking about technology and applied science (computer and operating systems), not of pure science. And how do you see the User Account Control who has seen evolve the security model of Windows operating systems from some years until now? It is a turning point, a fundamental innovation that seeks to change the operating system and the entire ecosystem that relies on the Windows platform towards the realization of a software model that can apply in the ideal way the concept of “least privilege” to protect users.
It is not possible to understand the value of User Account Control if you do not consider the departure point, the arrival point and the system where it is necessary to move.
This evolutionary path is clear, aim at the application of the principle of “least privilege”.
Windows has always required too many privileges to make the activity more or less administrative with the result that applications and users have preferred the easy way of operating with administrative privileges (even when not strictly necessary) so as to avoid the hardships imposed by attempting to use the “least privilege”. The key point is the impact analysis: it would have been too easy to go from X to Y by writing the operating system from scratch, the real challenge is to evolve what you have by creating less discomfort as possible to the whole of the immense library of applications that have been made over time.
UAC seeks to make so that users should not need administrative privileges, without having reason, and that anyone who writes applications can do it using credentials from the limited privileges, all of this while safeguarding, to the extent possible, all existing applications and by limiting the issues of application compatibility through virtualization of legacy applications. It is clear that in this path of migration of the architecture you already get concrete benefits of security and malware protection: in front of the security model offered by the UAC, even those who write malware has to adapt more sophisticated codes. If we add this aspect to the value introduced from the other security features introduced in Windows10 we get the effect of the effective protection offered by the principle already mentioned of the "defense in depth": if the result is to have reduced the attack surface and therefore have better protection, we can say that the UAC is a useful security feature.

My humble advice: do not disable UAC, use it in the best way with its full potential.
Excellent read. Thanks for the feedback.

In no way do I shun or condemn UAC or other built-in Windows 10 features, I just like to go with a more minimalist approach, and make sure to keep on all Windows features that are absolutely required for its most basic, barebone function.

Through years of explicitly not using any such built-in Windows features (pretty much ever since they were first introduced in Windows Vista), I can say that I gain from using them, as much as I lose from not using them: Nothing considerable. :D

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Excellent read. Thanks for the feedback.

In no way do I shun or condemn UAC or other built-in Windows 10 features, I just like to go with a more minimalist approach, and make sure to keep on all Windows features that are absolutely required for its most basic, barebone function.

Through years of explicitly not using any such built-in Windows features (pretty much ever since they were first introduced in Windows Vista), I can say that I gain from using them, as much as I lose from not using them: Nothing considerable. :D
Thank you, I love your minimalist approach and I understand your point of view, I agree with that :)

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Why Sandbox OFF?
When sandbox is off, is substituted by HIPS alerts, which I prefer. Most of the times it bugs me when something is auto-sandboxed, since I all I run on my system is verified 100% safe by other means (testing in my test machine or just in a VM).
I manually sandbox random things now and then though, so I guess the sandbox still has some use.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Tiny end-of-the-month update. :D

DISABLED Windows Defender (performance-wise, Windows Defender obstructed many CPU-intensive tasks - mainly rendering, and some CPU-intensive RTS games such as Company of Heroes 2)

ADDED Google Chrome (uBlock Origin, "appcontainer" flag enabled)

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Tiny end-of-the-month update. :D

DISABLED Windows Defender (performance-wise, Windows Defender obstructed many CPU-intensive tasks - mainly rendering, and some CPU-intensive RTS games such as Company of Heroes 2)

ADDED Google Chrome (uBlock Origin, "appcontainer" flag enabled)
If i can ask was WD scanning the game and using cpu cycles hence the obstruction or the game had issues while WD was not showing any signs that it was scanning it?

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
If i can ask was WD scanning the game and using cpu cycles hence the obstruction or the game had issues while WD was not showing any signs that it was scanning it?
I had ensured I disabled any scheduled scans with WD, so it wasn't them, for sure.

As for whether WD was scanning the game while the latter was running... I cannot say for sure, other than the "WD on" - "WD off" comparisons solved some occasional micro-stuttering during heavy scenes of frantic looking-around (in Arma 3, at least).

Perhaps it was too rushed of a decision to turn it off, then again, I do not have the patience to test performance issues with my security software anymore, and apparently, disabling WD fixed the problem (for now, I guess/hope).

Proper testing would be required, I guess. Still, this is probably not a definitive decision, so I'm leaving this as a pending matter.

Reactions: SHvFl

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I had ensured I disabled any scheduled scans with WD, so it wasn't them, for sure.

As for whether WD was scanning the game while the latter was running... I cannot say for sure, other than the "WD on" - "WD off" comparisons solved some occasional micro-stuttering during heavy scenes of frantic looking-around (in Arma 3, at least).

Perhaps it was too rushed of a decision to turn it off, then again, I do not have the patience to test performance issues with my security software anymore, and apparently, disabling WD fixed the problem (for now, I guess/hope).

Proper testing would be required, I guess. Still, this is probably not a definitive decision, so I'm leaving this as a pending matter.
Yeah, i don't see you needing WD in general with CF on.

Reactions: DracusNarcrym
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.