Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have a Windows 10 installation in a Macrium Reflect system image, and I want to make a second Windows installation from it, to be used in a dual-boot setup.
I can restore it onto a separate partition -- but how do I make it boot, using Windows bootloader (not Grub)?

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Restore to the desired partition and follow these steps. It should work. I have never used it though. You would need a second license for the new Win10 install though.
This would be much simpler with a new Win 10. Custom install a new Win10 vis USB/cd and it takes care of everything.
But seriously why though?

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

i see no point of dual win10 installations, you have users accounts for that or VM; unless you have a specific use that requires a virgin system. not saying good luck with the every 6 months upgrades that may mess it all LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
At home I use a desktop computer. I want to take a laptop along with me when I travel in a month, and I want it to have my own personal Windows installation on it, yet I don't want to delete the family's Windows installation. So the dual boot solution sounded to me the easiest way to do it. I assume that running Macrium Reflect boot repair should be able to add it as a boot entry. I would do the same thing on the desktop computer, so the family can have their Windows installation to use, while I am away.
But before I try this crazy and perhaps dumb idea, I need to get a bigger SSD...

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

This is what user accounts are made for, you keep the integrity of the OS while many people can use it and set their account differently.
Some programs can be installed for all users or limited ones depends where it is installed.
Adding a dual boot is just a pain, for the few benefit it affords in your case.
You just have to create a admin account to set general restrictions and security measures while using your own SUA.
What you plan to do is silly, I did what you plan to do a long time ago on Win7 because I wanted to use a separate gaming system. But it afforded no real benefits. At that time, no 6 months rolling updates like Win10 does now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.