DuckDuckGo may be selling our searches to Google!?!

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Sorry but this looks like some very bad advertisement...
Annotation 2019-08-06 234114.png

DuckDuckGo have been profiting from searches for a very long time. And likely other things as well.

It is public knowledge that DuckDuckGo collect and sell data acquired from their users. However, they use a different design to companies like Google, which does keep you safer in terms of tracking (especially by third-parties).

Either way, they still profit from you as do Google, Microsoft and others... and the misconception is that they "do not" collect information and profit off of you.

The whole privacy paranoia parade boys theme has got to stop. If you want privacy, throw your computer out the window and terminate your ISP package. It doesn't matter what search engine provider you use if you're running Windows 10, using an Android phone and love Amazon Prime.

oneeye

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Sorry but this looks like some very bad advertisement...
View attachment 218668
Perhaps, but I do want to know what those cookies are for? Yippy could be open to liable, so I'm inclined to believe there's something there. One business can't just make up stuff about competitors.

DuckDuckGo have been profiting from searches for a very long time. And likely other things as well.

It is public knowledge that DuckDuckGo collect and sell data acquired from their users. However, they use a different design to companies like Google, which does keep you safer in terms of tracking (especially by third-parties).

Either way, they still profit from you as do Google, Microsoft and others... and the misconception is that they "do not" collect information and profit off of you.

The whole privacy paranoia parade boys theme has got to stop. If you want privacy, throw your computer out the window and terminate your ISP package. It doesn't matter what search engine provider you use if you're running Windows 10, using an Android phone and love Amazon Prime.
Ok, thanks for the reality check! Your right about "throwing out the computer" because privacy online is a joke.

I was talking about a fast food restaurant earlier. I opened Google and it suggested "Is there a <name> in France". Well then.

Your average smartphone has trigger words. Such data is translated to something else and sent back to the servers - it can be translated back from the safe data to the original data. Or an encrypted copy of everything you said in plain audio is uploaded.

Whatever.

The only people that can force corporations to adhere to privacy is the government or you with your wallets or service usage. Everyone financially supports these corporations... so stop until they change or live with it.

News flash: I don't actually live in France. I am just abroad temporarily. And had previously been mentioning France combined with location tracking abilities = a system knew what I was going to search when it had nothing to do with previous searches before I had written the first few words.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Duckduckgo was never private. Anyone that did even trivial research on the founder of it knew that.

I was talking about a fast food restaurant earlier. I opened Google and it suggested "Is there a <name> in France". Well then.

Your average smartphone has trigger words. Such data is translated to something else and sent back to the servers - it can be translated back from the safe data to the original data. Or an encrypted copy of everything you said in plain audio is uploaded.

Technically that isn't how it works. The data streams would be too long to transcribe full audio.

Facebook, Google, or whoever themselves never get the raw audio, the app/service merely transcodes it into tiny code bits like a tag cloud and can't be reversed back into raw audio but the transcribed code is compressed and hidden behind service pushes as tiny code snippets. However there can be many thousands of trigger words in the tag cloud that can present a very nearly complete snapshot of the activity without actually having any raw audio at all.

Your best defense is one of these (if your device still has a microphone/headphone jack) as it is a hardware shutoff for their spying API's.

mblock.PNG

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
The fact it's got a whole separate paragraph at the bottom of the page promoting a competitor's search engine - as @pablozi said - makes the whole article look like an advertisement for Yippy, which I believe it is. Add in the fact that Godfather Politics constantly regurgitates conspiracy theories and misleading stories makes me even more sceptical.

Whether it's true or not I can't say but If you believe it then you can choose to not use DDG, and if you don't believe it you're free to continue using their service.

Technically that isn't how it works. The data streams would be too long to transcribe full audio.
I've seen Android malware written in Java doing it before, so it is possible.

The idea you proposed would be much more efficient.

However, companies like Google have already been outed for listening to the audio, which means they have concepts which allows the data to be translated back.

An educated guess would be that Google and other companies use more than just one concept and choose the appropriate ones for different scenarios. For example, a concept that would allow Google to later play back audio from the AI speech recognition features but more privacy when it is waiting for trigger words silently in general.

Last edited by a moderator:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
However, companies like Google have already been outed for listening to the audio, which means they have concepts which allows the data to be translated back.
Correct!

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
The fact it's got a whole separate paragraph at the bottom of the page promoting a competitor's search engine - as @pablozi said - makes the whole article look like an advertisement for Yippy, which I believe it is. Add in the fact that Godfather Politics constantly regurgitates conspiracy theories and misleading stories makes me even more sceptical.

Whether it's true or not I can't say but If you believe it then you can choose to not use DDG, and if you don't believe it you're free to continue using their service.

Unless there is any actual evidence to the claims, this is just a BS advertisement.

Reactions: enaph

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.