Not open for further replies.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
source: DuckDuckGo's new browser extensions and applications launch - gHacks Tech News

Search engine DuckDuckGo launched updated browser extensions and mobile applications for all major platforms today.

The company notes that it has redesigned all products to include new features such as tracker blocking, smarter encryption and private search.

The browser extensions work all the same. They are available for Firefox, Chrome and Safari officially, but can also be installed in compatible web browsers such as Opera or Vivaldi.

Note: Installation of the add-on will change the web browser's default search engine to DuckDuckGo. Some browsers may display prompts about that while others may not. You may change the default search provider in the preferences however without loosing other functionality that the add-on provides.

The DuckDuckGo browser extension and mobile app will also now show you a Privacy Grade rating (A-F) when you visit a website. This rating lets you see at a glance how protected you are, dig into the details to see who we caught trying to track you, and learn how we enhanced the underlying website's privacy measures. The Privacy Grade is scored automatically based on the prevalence of hidden tracker networks, encryption availability, and website privacy practices.

DuckDuckGo browser extension
duckduckgo-firefox-addon.jpg

The browser extension, called DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials, adds a single icon to the browser's main toolbar. The icon displays a privacy rating for any site you visit with A indicating optimal privacy and F less than optimal privacy.

A click on the icon displays information and several options. You find a search bar at the top to run searches on DuckDuckGo.

Below that is a visual representation of the site's privacy grade and below that information about the security of the connection, found tracker networks and privacy policy. DuckDuckGo uses these three data sets to generate site privacy ratings.

• Encrypted Connection -- Determines whether the site uses HTTPS.
  • Tracker Networks -- The number of tracker networks found on the site, and how many have been blocked. You can click on the arrow next to it to display them all.
  • Privacy Practices -- Whether privacy practices have been analyzed by the third-party service TOS;dr.
The extension blocks trackers automatically by default. This means that (some) ads may not be loaded as well when the DuckDuckGo extension is active in a browser.

Poccie

Level 1
Verified
May 4, 2018
Yesterday i came across the DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials extension. I'm running it in a VM right now and it looks nice (quite noob user friendly!), works fast (FF Quantum) and it seems to do it's job next to ADguard extension.
The thing is, when searching MalwareTips / reddit / internet in general, i can't find many user experiences and it doesn't even get close to the attention that other extensions get.
I found one thread on MalwareTips with zero replies:
DuckDuckGo's new browser extensions and applications launch

Any thoughts about the extension from this community?

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
I use it for my Firefox browser on Linux. I like it overall, and it's basically just a https everywhere/tracker blocker extension rolled into one. (Also it changes your default search engine to Duckduckgo, and shows you the websites privacy reputation)

*I'm a really big fan of Duckduckgo, it's not as good as Google but they do respect privacy and I believe that is worth the difference.

Last edited:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
it doesn't even get close to the attention that other extensions get.

Too soon.

I love DuckDuckGo. I think it's every bit as good a search engine as Google. Google recently dropped their "Don't be evil" motto. I commend them for that, because they have become quite evil. Read about what they did to James Damore. I have severed all ties with them except my YouTube account. What a shame that YouTube fell into their clutches.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
The thing is, when searching MalwareTips / reddit / internet in general, i can't find many user experiences and it doesn't even get close to the attention that other extensions get.
Keep in mind that only a few tracker blockers get any substantial attention (Ghostery, Disconnect, Privacy Badger) and they've that had years to establish their reputation.

Poccie

Level 1
Verified
May 4, 2018
I'd use it if they even bothered to release it for Opera...

Isn't the Chrome extension compatible with Opera?
Until now i really like this extension. It works as expected unitl now and I like the way it shows what trackers have been blocked. I'm no expert on tracking blockers, but it seems on par with disconnect, Privacy Badger etc.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
No need in Opera to install an addon as it seams about choose DuckDuckGo as the default search engine. Scroll down and click on Add to Opera.

Privacy, simplified. — DuckDuckGo Browser Extension & Mobile App
g5lUrLxX_o.png

Not sure what happened but apparently DuckDuckGo decided to removed the " Add to Opera " button as can be seen if compare my first and second screenshot.
7xR1OL9J_o.png

At least the tip from @CyberTech is still available. (y)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.