Dutch researchers find effective anti-body against corona virus

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Source: Wetenschappers Rotterdam en Utrecht claimen vondst antilichaam tegen corona

Not fake news, researchers of Erasmus Rotterdam Medical Center (Dutch National tropical disease and infection knowledge center) and University Hospital of Utrecht (Dutch neuro and micro biology knowledge center) claim to have found effective anti-body against corona virus. Anti-bodies prevent the spread of infection giving your body time to fight the virus.

Research has to be confirmed by peer scientists before it will be published. Testing on humans will take at least six months.

Here is the english text Unique discovery in Erasmus MC: antibody against corona - Erasmus Magazine

Last edited:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
It's too late for this season imo, but since chances are this will be a reoccurring thing in the following years, it'll help in the future. It'll be a part of general seasonal flu vaccines most likely.

I still think the drama is too strong with Covid19. Sure it's more severe than seasonal flu, but it's not like healthy people are just dropping dead from it. And those in risky groups with compromised or weakened immune system need to stay away even from most common seasonal flu because that one is already deadly for them. So, business as usual. Except with extra drama this time. It's kinda annoying. You turn on TV and all you hear is #####ing coronavirus this and coronavirus that. Numbers of infected and numbers of dead. And quarantines and more drama and toilet paper and robbed store shelves like there is an impending armageddon. People die in many thousands from seasonal flu and you hear absolutely NOTHING about it. It's basically the same thing with Covid19 and everyone is losing their #####. Like, come on.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Not a vaccin, to develop a vaccin preventing infection will take at least two years. Anti-bodies stop the spread of the virus once your are infected. Because it is a pandemic (which are known to return in cycles) scientist hope to have the anti-body as a medicine approved for the fall cycle this year (assuming summer and warm weather will slow down the spread of corona).

@Rezjor
You'r to late remark is a bit of topic. Thing about viruses is that they morph and adapt. To put it in digital perspective, with real world viruses you are not talking about zero day response, but one or two year response. China released the virus for official research less than three weeks ago, so you might call this a zero month response (which equals to a zero hour response in digital viruses).

You are right corona is just another flue like spanish flue, but when it grows to pandemic proportions, it effects everyone not only because it hits the economy, but also because corona patients use scarce medical resources.
So the operation of your relative will be postponed causing complications or your friend having had a car accident will die, all because there is no room on intensive care.

This video of a supply chain employee (sorry all in Dutch) has a message for all corona preppers fearing there is not enogh toilet paper.

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@ Antus67 Yes, but the underlying problem is that there not enough IC-facilities when it grows to pandemic proportions.

Do you know how many intensive care beds there are in Ohio, compared to number of people? In the Netherlands we are with 17 million people and have 1250 IC-beds. Compare that with region of Lombardi in North Italy (also roughly 17 million people) and over 8.000 people infected. In whole of Italy 18.000 people are infected, with over 1000 died. That are more dead causes than the yearly flu takes.

EDIT raised number of people affected in Lombardia because I dd not take into account the news was old (at march 6th 7000 people in whole Italy and half of total in Lombardia, now 18000 in whole italy, so doubled the numbers).

Last edited:

Antus67

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Nov 3, 2019
Yes, but the underlying fear is that there not enough IC-facilities. Do you know how many intensive care beds there are in Ohio, compared to number of people? In the Netherlands we are with 17 million people and have 1250 IC-beds. Compare that with region of Lombardi (also roughly 17 million people) and over 4000 people infected.
Point well taken Lenny appreciate your input

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Some welcome news, though lines for the vaccines are going to hit an all-time high, no doubt. Ironically, speaking of news, I am located in New York City. Two mornings ago, I turned on the TV to see no signs of the regular newscasters and the newsroom had changed.

Turns out the "local" New York City news was being broadcast from San Francisco, about 4100 km/2500 miles away. The NYC station is currently being disinfected. The lines at the supermarkets and dollar stores are crazy, yet one is supposed to exercise "social distancing." Hello, New York State now has the first drive-through testing center in the country.

Unless you're under a rock, this virus-thing must have affected you in some tangible, real way/s.

Media blowing things out of proportions? Maybe in some locations. In NYC, the opposite, routinely, there are calls to remain calm and receive news from only trusted sources, esp. online.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Steps are being implemented to curb this virus as we know and precautions are being implemened by all. I have a question IMHO do you believe the media is blowing this a bit out of proportion???

When you just look at basic numbers you see ##### doesn't make sense given how much panic everyone is making. Using news from 2020-03-12 (which I'd consider to be recent enough), there are some 1400 confirmed deaths in China due to Covid19. 1400 deaths in a country with population of almost 1.5 billion people (that's what, 1/5th of entire PLANET?). I bet more people die there in car accidents within just 1 month, than they have from Covid19 in the entire time of its existence. The outbreak began in city Wuhan with some 12 million people. That city alone has 6x the population of my entire country. Or 1/6 of ENTIRE Italy. Just the scale of people concentrated in relatively small spot and only 1400 deaths? Out of which I can guarantee you it's predominantly people with pre-existing conditions, same people that are just as severely affected by most common seasonal flu. But no one makes drama when 1500 people die in China from seasonal flu complications. It's just something that happens every year and no one gives a ##### about it, no one reports it, no one makes panic, no one stockpiles frigging toilet paper.

The fact is, infection is petty much inevitable. Just like with seasonal flu. It's just that no one is actively monitoring and reporting on that one. But we are for Covid19. It's why it looks so out of proportion. Constant bombardment in news about it opposed to seasonal flu that has basically zero coverage. Of course Covid19 feels like a freaking doomsday. Regular seasonal flu would as well if everyone reported on it constantly and count numbers of infected and dead. But we just don't do that. But if you look at known annual numbers about common flu, there are huge numbers of people infected and also huge numbers of dead given it's just a seasonal flu everyone is taking pretty much as something normal that just happens.

Again, avoiding close contact, regular washing of hands, coughing into shoulder or elbow instead of hand, not sharing food and utensils, self isolation is something that should be practiced at any point of being sick. It's a basic etiquette to stop spreading any kind of respiratory based diseases that are spread with coughing and contact. But that's as much as we can do. It's absurd to expect anything beyond that given we are species that can travel the whole planet in 1 day and travel across hubs like airports or shopping centers where hundred thousand people come in contact and move into other such hubs. You don't need to be a virologist to figure out the outcome.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@Rezjor

You totally miss the point. I don't see Slovenia building an emergency hospital with 1000 beds in 10 days nor locking down a city and a region like China did (a centralist government makes decision making a lot easier).

The figures you use are not actual (link), also using China as a whole for numbers in comparison does not add up (they kept it to a single city and surrounding region). You better use India also 1/5 of the world's population but zero deaths until now, so why sneeze in your elbow looking silly?

Point is 1/4 of the population is vulnerable (due to age or health conditions), they need tubes inserted (corona is a flu for healthy under 50 year old, but becomes a two week pneumonia for the vulnarable). Those vulnerable people need IC (tubes inserted so their reduced long functions provides them with enough oxygen). With IC treatment death toll stays below 3 to 4 percent. When IC's run out of capacity these death tolls will spike.

I posted a video of Dutch guy laughing at all the people buying toilet paper for armageddon. So it is my opinion media and people overreact, but you are in denial. Let's see how Slovenia manages today 57 cases no deaths, wish your country (being neighbor of North Italy) deals well with this threat.

MY TAKE: Corona is just another flu as long as the spread stays below Intensive care capacity, but .....when government and people fail to take effective measures (common sense like washing hands) it will become a problem.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019

:cry::cry::cry:
Thanks so my guestimate that Lombardia (same number of people as the Netherlands) represents half of Italy is sort of correct (9.820 out of total of 17.660). The Italian/Spanish/French way of greeting friends is an disadvantage compared to Northern Europe (Dutch, German, Scandinavian people tend to keep more distance than Southern European people when greeting each other).

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
This makes sense but what doesn't make sense to me is the other advice that we should bump elbows rather than shake hands, doesn't that mean that it is easier to transfer the virus via our elbows?!
No hands are a major form of transmitting bacteria and viruses (the folded hands Eastern way greeting of not touching each other in Buddhist and Hindustan dominated area's is probably related to higher people density and the fact that it is much healthier as Western style hand shake).

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
Thanks so my guestimate that Lombardia (same number of people as the Netherlands) represents half of Italy is sort of correct (9.820 out of total of 17.660). The Italian/Spanish/French way of greeting friends is an disadvantage compared to Northern Europe (Dutch, German, Scandinavian people tend to keep more distance than Southern European people when greeting each other).

At this time the Prime Minister's decree obliges us to:

• Keep a distance of 1 meter from other people.
  • By car only 2 people, if they do not belong to the same family, one in front and one behind.
  • Only one person at family is allowed to buy food in stores.

Those who do not comply with these rules can also be punished with a fine of 200 euros and arrest of up to 3 months:

P.S.
I was also stopped by the police.
I had to buy water in the shop closest to my home.
I, on the other hand, was too far away because we prefer to go to another shop.

Last edited:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
@Rezjor

You totally miss the point. I don't see Slovenia building an emergency hospital with 1000 beds in 10 days nor locking down a city and a region like China did (a centralist government makes decision making a lot easier).

The figures you use are not actual (link), also using China as a whole for numbers in comparison does not add up (they kept it to a single city and surrounding region). You better use India also 1/5 of the world's population but zero deaths until now, so why sneeze in your elbow looking silly?

Point is 1/4 of the population is vulnerable (due to age or health conditions), they need tubes inserted (corona is a flu for healthy under 50 year old, but becomes a two week pneumonia for the vulnarable). Those vulnerable people need IC (tubes inserted so their reduced long functions provides them with enough oxygen). With IC treatment death toll stays below 3 to 4 percent. When IC's run out of capacity these death tolls will spike.

I posted a video of Dutch guy laughing at all the people buying toilet paper for armageddon. So it is my opinion media and people overreact, but you are in denial. Let's see how Slovenia manages today 57 cases no deaths, wish your country (being neighbor of North Italy) deals well with this threat.

MY TAKE: Corona is just another flu as long as the spread stays below Intensive care capacity, but .....when government and people fail to take effective measures (common sense like washing hands) it will become a problem.

You cough on the inside of the elbow, so technically outside should be fine. I'd still avoid the contact entirely if there really isn't a need for it. And there really isn't need for it at these times. Watching all the politicians almost-handshaking is so cringe inducing. Because having a gentleman's nod is apparently too #####ing hard. I guess their handshake rituals are just a too difficult habit to drop all of a sudden.

People also overglorify China's "build whole hospital in few days" too much. Anyone who actually watched the video of construction, they literally stacked bunch of containers and called it a hospital. Sure, if it works, who cares, but it's not really what people portray it to be...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.