jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
EagleGet - EG Download Accelerator, Free Universal Downloader

There has been some changes in it's installer: if I choose the free version (without ads) it's about "in exchange for safely sharing some of your device's idle resources for the benefit of others"? What's with that?

Also what's the Luminati SDK network that's been mentioned in the privacy policy? Also please read the TOS.
Privacy Policy - EagleGet

Morever a new feature that has been added is Shared VPN, but it requires to make me use the AD version. Similar shared VPN feature is also available for Ninja Download manager, at 3$.

The installer is reported clean by ESET for me.

GhOB772.png

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
VT results look clean though. And ESET normally captures this sort of thing. VirusTotal

I think the whole issue is with the Luminati SDK that's been used in it's new installer if you select Free (No ads) option. At the Luminati SDK website it says that no user information is collected except for the IP.

Luminati is the world's largest proxy network, having tens of millions of residential IPs based on other partners that embedded our SDK. The network is being used by Fortune 500 companies for brand protection, price comparison, ad verification and more.

As soon as I chose the Free version (use my idle resources) it tried to connect with Luminati SDK Network

This happened when I wanted to enable Shared VPN (Hola VPN) service in EagleGet. (which required me to switch)

ba3r4lb.png

Last edited:

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Something interesting I just experienced a few moments ago. And it possible it was due to Eagleget.

I got a notification in my authenticator app that someone was trying to access my account. I promptly blocked it. Searching for the IP that tried to established the connection I got 71.222.166.244

That IP seems to lead to Qwest Communication. I then tried to see what connections Eagleget had, and indeed one of them was to Qwest communication.

I'm no expert. And it's possible I'm wrong thinking Eagleget is involved. But I just wanted to share so that people that use it be on alert.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Although I love Eagleget, my next suggestion would be Xtreme Download Manager (open-source and better than uGet)
I agree but I don't really like any download manager besides EG and IDM. The others always disappoint me at some points

Now I tend to use google chrome's flags: parallel download
which is not perfect but okay. I use download manager much more rarely than in the past
DM is only for really large file

I will try to find EG portable for older version before they added ads and BT

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I find XDM to be the best free alternative for IDM right now. Reliability is almost as much as IDM. I don't like the developer adding media converter since it increased file size but its not a big deal.
Eagleget took some bad decisions. They removed floating download button like IDM and used Eagleget icon on toolbar instead. Eagleget never needed sniffer, grabber and BT too imo since floating download button was more convenient and worked better and we have many good BT clients out there.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I agree but I don't really like any download manager besides EG and IDM. The others always disappoint me at some points

which is not perfect but okay. I use download manager much more rarely than in the past

If you liked IDM & EG then you would find at home with XDM. Most of the feature requests had been implemented this year with multiple queues and easy streaming media downloads. I would categorize it in the same league as IDM & EG.

I find XDM to be the best free alternative for IDM right now. Reliability is almost as much as IDM. I don't like the developer adding media converter since it increased file size but its not a big deal.
Eagleget took some bad decisions. They removed floating download button like IDM and used Eagleget icon on toolbar instead. Eagleget never needed sniffer, grabber and BT too imo since floating download button was more convenient and worked better and we have many good BT clients out there.

Many members at EG Forums requested in the past to remove the download link button because it was getting in the way when viewing videos/browsing. Currently most extensions work with the model to show the stats on the extension itself (ublock, malwarebytes)

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Many members at EG Forums requested in the past to remove the download link button because it was getting in the way when viewing videos/browsing. Currently most extensions work with the model to show the stats on the extension itself (ublock, malwarebytes)
The floating button used to disappear when going fullscreen so wasn't an issue for me so was it an issue/bug on later versions? Since I didn't use EG regularly. If it was annoying while scrolling pages then the developers could've added an option to make download button smaller. I never have this issue with IDM.
Showing stats on extension for video downloader has a disadvantage for webpages with lots of media content. You wouldn't know what file you were looking for since many of these pages have several files with same names like videoabc.mp4

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
stay away from eagleget , it has affeliations with some p*rnsites and a scary service running in the background ( illuminati net service updater or something like that. ) better of buying a fairly cheap IDM lifetime license. or what @Sunshine-boy suggests , from time to time there will be a giveaway available for the pro version of ant download manager......

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Free Download Manager is a very good option, as it allows you to download torrents as well. Anyway, if you like to download videos, for me, the best option is Xtreme Download Manager.
Been using this for a while. My second option would be Ninja Downloader. Both are great, free, light options. Never had any issues.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
stay away from eagleget , it has affeliations with some p*rnsites and a scary service running in the background ( illuminati net service updater or something like that. ) better of buying a fairly cheap IDM lifetime license. or what @Sunshine-boy suggests , from time to time there will be a giveaway available for the pro version of ant download manager......
It does state upfront at the end of installation if you want to choose their Free version with a small ad or Ad-less version that uses processor resources. Choose the former and there won't be any trouble. Affiliations with p*rn sites, I wonder where you are getting that info from...

Reactions: Weebarra

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
For chrome try Chrono download manager

I use uget portable version and its really better than IDM. Only thing missing is integrated Hash checking like competitors.

Reactions: Weebarra
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.