Status
Not open for further replies.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
FYI anyone having these issues.
Looking over the Emsisoft forums noticed lots of people unhappy that Google services are being blocked by EAM's 'surf protection'.
Emsisoft suggest running an update which will download the corrected and updated database.

As i don't use the surf protection module i wouldn't have noticed this ;)

D

Deleted member 178

Yes i observed that, but since i set Surf Protection on "alert" only, i am able to avoid the issue.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I have tried EAM 6.5 awhile ago and didn't have any problems with the Google services... What Google products are blocked?Was this a FP?
Overall the EAM Surf guard is great , and can save you from a lot of infections however I do agree that sometimes it's to sensible that's why when I've used this product I have remove some of the categories from the Surf Protection options. :)

I

illumination

Jack said:
I have tried EAM 6.5 awhile ago and didn't have any problems with the Google services... What Google products are blocked?Was this a FP?
Overall the EAM Surf guard is great , and can save you from a lot of infections however I do agree that sometimes it's to sensible that's why when I've used this product I have remove some of the categories from the Surf Protection options. :)

I had it block Google's "encrypted search page" stopping Chrome from connecting for a minute, until i went into settings and changed the homepage to standard https google search.. I also had problems with hotmail, the surf guard blocking it from loading, but both issues are now resolved.. The surf protection is a bit sensitive, but i will take that over lax any day.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Does Surf Protection work of from black/white listed sites, or actively scans for malicious code ?

I

illumination

Earth said:
Does Surf Protection work of from black/white listed sites, or actively scans for malicious code ?

Surf protection basically consists of a database that contains addresses of dangerous websites. When you access a website, Emsisoft Anti-Malware checks if the address is already known for spreading malware, and gives you a warning instead of loading the site.
This function may sound simple at first, but there is a lot of work involved in always keeping the database up-to-date. At the end of March 2012, Emsisoft Anti-Malware knew of more than 126,000 potentially dangerous websites, and more are being added every day. These are categorized into phishing (52%), malware-spreading (31%), exploits (7%), advertising/tracking (6%), hijacking, warez, and fraud.
Tests show that the majority of these current threats are thus already warded off, as infected websites are still a main infection source. Surf protection is the first obstacle that keeps malware from entering your PC. In addition, it also protects you against fraudsters who are trying to get your money by means of fake websites (Phishing).

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Source: Christian Peters (Emsisoft Forum)

< Snip >
Because of lots of false alerts in the last weeks we changed the hostlist from the HPHosts project to the MDL (malwaredomainlist.com) project.
In this new list there are only known Malware Hosts.

< Snip >

HPHosts lists were to blame, i believe these lists are also used in Malwarebytes (same company?), remember using their HOSTS file once and it blocked far too much.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
The hp hosts is very bloated, it has lots of fp's in my experience...I think that is the only list EAM uses until now, please correct me if I'm wrong.

MVPS is way better for people that use hostsman

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.