EAM Windows Firewall Fortification

Discussion in 'Emsisoft' started by SearchLight, Nov 25, 2017.

1. SearchLight

SearchLight Level 3

Jul 3, 2017
    New Jersey
    Windows 10
    Malwarebytes
    I took advantage of the 50% off sale to purchase EAM.

Could someone tell me where and what indicates that EAM has fortified the Windows Firewall?

I cannot find anything in the GUI that indicates that this protection is active and/or working.

Thanks.

TairikuOkami and HarborFront like this.
  2. Huchim

Huchim Level 4

Oct 17, 2015
    México
    Windows 8.1
    Emsisoft
    Is part of the behaviour blocker and as far I know you will see a notification if you change the "auto-resolve" mode to notify in the same module of the behaviour blocker, this is only trigged when a suspicious soft try to do changes on the firewall

3. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    If a malicious file is trying to temper with Windows Firewall (like creating a rule), the behavior blocker of EAM will prevent the modification.
    This is not a dedicated module, it is a new functionality of the behavior blocker.

RoboMan, Trickster, plat1098 and 4 others like this.
  4. SearchLight

SearchLight Level 3

Jul 3, 2017
    New Jersey
    Windows 10
    Malwarebytes
    #4 SearchLight, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    So in other words, it is an automatic feature of the behavior blocker. One needs to assume that it works.

Knowing the reputation of EAM, I am sure it will but it would be nice in the GUI, if it is mentioned that Windows Firewall Fortification is active like the other protections are mentioned in the first box to the left.

Sometimes an omission is an assumption, that needs to be verified by some type of indication for the security of the average user like myself, imo.

See thumbnail below:

2017-11-26 00_47_53-Emsisoft Anti-Malware.png

5. Opcode

Opcode Level 18
    Content Creator

Aug 17, 2017
    Caille
    Windows 10
    You can toggle between enabling/disabling it under protection settings for the Behavior Blocker; you can change rule-sets for existent programs to automatically block/ask for decision when they attempt to make modifications to Windows Firewall, too (via custom rule-sets, very simple to do with Emsisoft products).

It won't just be "enabled" but cannot be toggled between its active status without user consent. It may be enabled by default if you're on the latest version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware, but you can disable it if you'd like.

The below image is from a post on the Emsisoft blog.

[​IMG]

Source: Emsisoft and Windows Firewall: Your questions, answered.

6. LahiruTarz

LahiruTarz Level 3

Jul 6, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Colombo
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    It would be great if they could implement some kind of alert mechanism when an app. tries to access internet. Windows Firewall does not come with an intuitive UI for this task.

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Level 8
    Content Creator

May 13, 2017
    Postal Worker
    Slovakia
    Windows 10
    I would be willing to buy EAM for this feature alone, I would disable everything else anyway, but I expect zero performance impact, of course. :)

The only other option is Sphinx Firewall Control, which is too expensive and I do not really like it overall. I could get EAM for like $10, well worth it.

bribon77, AussieKenDoll and shmu26 like this.
  8. SearchLight

SearchLight Level 3

Jul 3, 2017
    New Jersey
    Windows 10
    Malwarebytes
    I think they first should indicate on the main page of EAM that Windows Firewall Protection is active along with the other protections, like I mentioned earlier. Just taking the word of a vendor is not the same as seeing a visual confirmation or indication.

Regarding products that alert you, there's Binisoft WFC, and Glasswire in addition to Sphinx that work with Windows Firewall.

9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Level 8
    Content Creator

May 13, 2017
    Postal Worker
    Slovakia
    Windows 10
    Glasswire is too heavy and Binisoft is broken by design, besides they take over Windows Firewall making it impossible to create advanced rules. EAM's way is better.

Umbra likes this.