Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I took advantage of the 50% off sale to purchase EAM.

Could someone tell me where and what indicates that EAM has fortified the Windows Firewall?

I cannot find anything in the GUI that indicates that this protection is active and/or working.

Thanks.

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
Is part of the behaviour blocker and as far I know you will see a notification if you change the "auto-resolve" mode to notify in the same module of the behaviour blocker, this is only trigged when a suspicious soft try to do changes on the firewall

D

Deleted member 178

I took advantage of the 50% off sale to purchase EAM.

Could someone tell me where and what indicates that EAM has fortified the Windows Firewall?

I cannot find anything in the GUI that indicates that this protection is active and/or working.

Thanks.
If a malicious file is trying to temper with Windows Firewall (like creating a rule), the behavior blocker of EAM will prevent the modification.
This is not a dedicated module, it is a new functionality of the behavior blocker.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
If a malicious file is trying to temper with Windows Firewall (like creating a rule), the behavior blocker of EAM will prevent the modification.
This is not a dedicated module, it is a new functionality of the behavior blocker.

So in other words, it is an automatic feature of the behavior blocker. One needs to assume that it works.

Knowing the reputation of EAM, I am sure it will but it would be nice in the GUI, if it is mentioned that Windows Firewall Fortification is active like the other protections are mentioned in the first box to the left.

Sometimes an omission is an assumption, that needs to be verified by some type of indication for the security of the average user like myself, imo.

See thumbnail below:

2017-11-26 00_47_53-Emsisoft Anti-Malware.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65228

So in other words, it is an automatic feature of the behavior blocker. One needs to assume that it works.
You can toggle between enabling/disabling it under protection settings for the Behavior Blocker; you can change rule-sets for existent programs to automatically block/ask for decision when they attempt to make modifications to Windows Firewall, too (via custom rule-sets, very simple to do with Emsisoft products).

It won't just be "enabled" but cannot be toggled between its active status without user consent. It may be enabled by default if you're on the latest version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware, but you can disable it if you'd like.

The below image is from a post on the Emsisoft blog.

emsisoft-firewall-fortification-options-730x521.png

Source: Emsisoft and Windows Firewall: Your questions, answered.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I would be willing to buy EAM for this feature alone, I would disable everything else anyway, but I expect zero performance impact, of course. :)

The only other option is Sphinx Firewall Control, which is too expensive and I do not really like it overall. I could get EAM for like $10, well worth it.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I think they first should indicate on the main page of EAM that Windows Firewall Protection is active along with the other protections, like I mentioned earlier. Just taking the word of a vendor is not the same as seeing a visual confirmation or indication.

Regarding products that alert you, there's Binisoft WFC, and Glasswire in addition to Sphinx that work with Windows Firewall.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Regarding products that alert you, there's Binisoft WFC, and Glasswire in addition to Sphinx that work with Windows Firewall.
Glasswire is too heavy and Binisoft is broken by design, besides they take over Windows Firewall making it impossible to create advanced rules. EAM's way is better.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.