New Update Microsoft Edge Developers build info

L

Local Host

I know the Edge on Android is already based on chromium, but the Android version uses adblock as buildin adblocker ( not M$ internal based on Discinnect).

The only infi I can find on the new Edge chromium for Desktop is that there are no plans to port it to mobile. The new desktop Edge chromium is available for Windows and iOS. Since iOS is based on Linux (only with more security restrictions), it should not be to difficult to port the new Edge to Linux and Android too (Android is also based on Linux).

From mantainance perspective it is easier and cheaper to maintain one software code base, so it would make sense to publish an Android version which is based on the new (desktop) Edge chromium. For marketing purposes a Linux version would probably make sense to (cross platform compatibility and user experience).

So are there MT members active on Insider comnunity with som news or gossips relating to Android and Linux versions?
Not only is the built-in adblocker on Android lacking customization (and bad in terms of ad-blocking), but the Android version is already based on the same Chromium code.

A Linux version wouldn't also affect cross-platform nor user experience in any positive way, Edge is already cross platform and is on par with other browsers in terms of user experience.

Edge on Android already has the major feature it needs, which is sync with Desktop version, Microsoft should focus on finishing Edge on Desktop before anything else.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I said that I know that Edge for Android is based on chrome, but its adblocker is based on AdBlock while the deesktop version is based on Disconnect.

Having two different code base requires more maintenance manpower.

I mentioned user experience of Edge compared to itself. Same user interface cross platform is like code reuse something is considered (at least in Holland) good programming practice.

L

Local Host

I said that I know that Edge for Android is based on chrome, but its adblocker is based on AdBlock while the deesktop version is based on Disconnect.

Having two different code base requires more maintenance manpower.

I mentioned user experience of Edge compared to itself. Same user interface cross platform is like code reuse something is considered (at least in Holland) good programming practice.
Disconnect is not an ad-blocker, nor is Microsoft supplying any in-built Adblocker for Edge (Desktop).

Which the development team already stated (in which I agree with), ad-blockers shouldn't be built-in,
Finally, we occasionally hear requests for a built in ad blocking experiences in Edge. For most users, we find that extensions (combined with strong defaults around tracking prevention) are the best option here because you can choose from a variety of experiences and defaults.
There's no advanced coding involved when it comes to user interface, and code reuse is the lazy way to port software across multiple platforms, good practice is to use the proper APIs supplied by each OS.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
There's no advanced coding involved when it comes to user interface, and code reuse is the lazy way to port software across multiple platforms
That is sheer and utter nonsense (according to Monty Python and Dutch IT standards)

Good practice is to use the proper APIs supplied by each OS.
Using the proper API for its purpose is always right, because that is why API's are designed and build for.

You enjoy kicking in open doors? Well I know a few also, the earth is round and it circles around the sun or my prediction is that Hamilton will be the Formula1 champion of 2019.

Disconnect is not an ad-blocker, nor is Microsoft supplying any in-built Adblocker for Edge.
Totally correct, Disconnect is anti-tracking and Microsoft labels it as privacy/tracking protection in the DESKTOP version of Edge but ... when you know a little of advertising you would know that by blocking the most common tracking networks, you also block most of the advertising networks.

Do you know that Microsoft labels it in the MOBILE Android version of EDGE as adblocking? Just install Edge for Android and open the settings to check for yourself.

I think you intended and quoted the desktop version, but Edge (as you mentioned) includes all Edges (no pun intended), so you response is only half true.

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Okay, Googled and I found some info on Edge Chromium for Linux

I run a dual boot (Windows 10 Pro and Linux Manjaro). Because Microsoft killed its mobile platform, they made Outlook available for free on Android. Other advantage Windows10 has thaat I can see TV (Ziggo Go) and Netflix using the Windows Apps. But these Apps are also available on Andoid. So I am thinking to install Anbox snap in my Manjaro Linux and side load Outlook, Ziggo Go and Netflix from APKpure.com.

Nice thing about Anbox is that it runs in a seperate container. I have no idea on the useability impact of this increased security feature (container), so I will test it out during Christmas holiday. EDIT: will use free Office Online or free Linux alternatives to Office.

Keep you posted.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Dev channel update to 80.0.355.1 is live:
Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 80.0.355.1 to the Dev channel! Even more exciting, Collections are now enabled by default for all Canary and Dev channel users, as well as Collections sync! This blog post has the details: Get started with Collections in Microsoft Edge - Microsoft Edge Blog. Please note that some users who have manually modified their sync settings in the past may not have Collections sync enabled and will need to turn it on themselves.

Before we get to all the most noteworthy changes, it’s worth mentioning something that hasn’t changed: favorites sync is still disabled for most people in order to prevent some crashes and favorites duplication. However, if you’re currently syncing with Edge mobile, your favorites sync hasn’t been disabled, so if you’re experiencing Edge crashing shortly after startup, it’s likely that your favorites sync is still enabled.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Here's an update on Favorites Sync feature:

"Hey everyone, welcome to the weekly top feedback summary. We actually have no news to report this week. The list below is unchanged from last week.

We’re not taking a break however . . . progress continues on our planned items. We will begin testing a fix for the favorites sync issue very soon. We are also actively working on discussion posts for a number of topics currently in “Under Review” status below.

Thanks for all your great feedback and for taking this journey with us. Check back next week for the latest."

Unfortunately full syncing is farther back on the calendar. Check here to see more Full updated list of feedback

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 80.0.361.5 to the Dev channel!
This is the final build for major version 80, which means it’s also our next Beta channel candidate.
This is also the final Dev channel update for the year; we don’t expect to publish anything more until January.
However, we couldn’t leave you without some holiday treats, so here are all of the feature rollouts that have been recently completed for the Canary and Dev channels:
Top feedback summary for December 17:
Just got a stable channel update to 79.0.309.54.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Can someone do me a favor, please? See if you can get the Micro Center website to open in Edge.dev? Not happening here: tried resetting all flags, clearing browsing data, reinstalling, flushing dns, changing dns, running network troubleshooter, nothing works. :mad: Opens just fine in Edge.old. :mad:

Micro Center
Open without any problems in Edge version 79.0.309.54 (Official build) (64-bits).

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
This really helps, Gandalf_The_Grey.

After trying again and even searching in the registry, I gave up and installed Edge.beta. There, the site opens. This is what I get with Edge.dev:

edge micro.PNG

Good thing we have three Edges to choose among. If anyone knows a reason/fix for one website not opening in Edge.dev, I'd like to hear. (y)

Edit: just saw your post, oldschool. Hmmm as the error page says. :unsure:

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

After trying again and even searching in the registry, I gave up and installed Edge.beta. There, the site opens. This is what I get with Edge.dev:

Good thing we have three Edges to choose among. If anyone knows a reason/fix for one website not opening in Edge.dev, I'd like to hear. (y)

I couldn't find one. It's the only site I've had blocked in Edge Dev.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Report it to MS. They are still listening to feedback.

cliffspab

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
I was interested in activating the DNS over HTTPS (DoH) feature, for some reason I can't see it in flags (I've seen screenshots of a "secure DNS lookups flag). Does anyone know why that might be?

I'm using O&O Shutup which seems to have set the browser to "managed by your organisation" - might that be a reason?

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.