New Update Microsoft Edge Developers build info

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Just so you know, here's a definitive reply to a post about how M$ folks deal with in-forum feature suggestions, bug reports, etc. vs. in-browser feedback:

josh_bodner (Microsoft) posted a new reply in Discussions on 02-14-2020 07:11 PM:

Re: Dev channel update to 81.0.416.3 is live

@HotCakeX the way we choose what to work on is completely manual, but the number of people requesting something (or if it's a bug, affected by something) is a major factor in prioritizing the work. And while it's great to have people chatting here about what they want in general, if there's a specific feature they're wanting or bug they're reporting, sending in-product feedback is the best way to make sure we get an accurate count.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
To deal with Meltdown and Spectre like attacks new cross origin API and data exchance protections are introduces by W3C to implement across browsers (see for instance CORP and CORS).

Probably these newer cross site protections don't combine well with the Windows OS enforced AppContainer rights restrictions. As a result Google is introducing the new Multi-origin trusted web activities (TWA). Keep an eye on the flags, you will see more cross-origin or CORP or CORS experiments in future related to these new cross-site-origin mitigation policies.

After AppContainer for renderer was removed a new Site Permission (allow file edit access) was introduced. Microsoft Edge chromium does not have this Site Permission, but has this file access mitigation combined with ask save-as for downloads (small difference with Edge and Chrome, when this setting is enabled, Edge also blocks save-as web-pages and Chrome does not).

AppContainer restricted file access and had some capabilities (e.g. internet access) which could be set or limited on demand. It looks that the new File Edit site permission has replaced the most important access right restriction of AppContainer.

The future is bright in terms of security ;) (privacy is a different ball game :unsure:)

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Anyone using v81 latest with Adguard for Desktop? if yes:

1- Do you see the adguard assistant (green adguard icon in a bubble) at the bottom right of your browser.

2- do you have entries in the filtering log (accessible via Adguard tray icon > Tool)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Edge roadmap reveals user requests – and work undone
Among other tweaks, Microsoft intends to roll out two syncing features – including one that link up browser add-ons between copies of Edge on multiple devices. User comments, however, reflect frustration at features that have not yet appeared.

I don't see it that way (fanboy alert). I find it refreshing to see a roadmap and I'm excited to test and participate in the making of a great browser.
Please don't rush it, do it good!

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Edge roadmap reveals user requests – and work undone
Among other tweaks, Microsoft intends to roll out two syncing features – including one that link up browser add-ons between copies of Edge on multiple devices. User comments, however, reflect frustration at features that have not yet appeared.

I don't see it that way (fanboy alert). I find it refreshing to see a roadmap and I'm excited to test and participate in the making of a great browser.
Please don't rush it, do it good!

I think that's the part a lot of people forget. Many people are too impatient and want everything now. IMHO I would rather wait longer and have something that works well, than have it now and it be half backed with a ton of bugs. MS already has done a lot with this browser in sort order, people just need to relax and let them do it properly.

I also think that many of these people don't understand how long some of this takes. Some things are quicker to implement, others not so much. They need to pace themselves and having a road map helps them with that. Plus it gives us users an idea of where they are now and what the future holds.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I don't believe extension sync is something really hard to implement. They probably want to do something special related to it, maybe multi-platform or things like that.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Ahh, I like clean a fast launching clean new tab page and this one is still under review :cry:

Under ReviewAdd an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page25 weeks

I have only one extension installed on Edge-chromium
1582234519814.png

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Question to @oldschool I remembered you used PrivacyPossum in the past. Are you still using it with Edge?

:I wanted to try out Privacy Possum, but accidentally installed Privacy Badger. :whistle: Enabled show "show domains that don't appear to be tracking you" so I can view what third-party requests are made (y) So new (second) question, have you ever tried Privacy Badger and did you like it?

Last edited:
L

Local Host

I think that's the part a lot of people forget. Many people are too impatient and want everything now. IMHO I would rather wait longer and have something that works well, than have it now and it be half backed with a ton of bugs. MS already has done a lot with this browser in sort order, people just need to relax and let them do it properly.

I also think that many of these people don't understand how long some of this takes. Some things are quicker to implement, others not so much. They need to pace themselves and having a road map helps them with that. Plus it gives us users an idea of where they are now and what the future holds.
I disagree, cause a good chunk of features were removed and limited by Microsoft itself, they not even up to discussion, not to mention they been asked for since day one.
  • Provide different options for sorting favorites,
  • Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website,
  • Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window,
  • Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page,
  • Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers,
  • Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page.
All of this is available on third-party browsers, including Chrome, you can't even automatically sort favorites by alphabet.

I won't even bother to mention the new tab page, cause that has been discussed multiple times already, to frustration levels.

The list goes on, but those are the features that I would like to see on Edge, not to mention Microsoft is known to be extremely slow with their development, in 4 years they weren't able to port all of the settings to the Settings APP (one of many examples).

What Microsoft accomplishes in years in terms of updating their software, I could do in months alone (or even weeks with a team their size).

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I disagree, cause a good chunk of features were removed and limited by Microsoft itself, they not even up to discussion, not to mention they been asked for since day one.
  • Provide different options for sorting favorites,
  • Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website,
  • Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window,
  • Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page,
  • Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers,
  • Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page.
All of this is available on third-party browsers, including Chrome, you can't even automatically sort favorites by alphabet.

I won't even bother to mention the new tab page, cause that has been discussed multiple times already, to frustration levels.

The list goes on, but those are the features that I would like to see on Edge, not to mention Microsoft is known to be extremely slow with their development, in 4 years they weren't able to port all of the settings to the Settings APP (one of many examples).

What Microsoft accomplishes in years in terms of updating their software, I could do in months alone (or even weeks with a team their size).

That is very true.

TBH I haven't followed the whole development very closely. Just here and there, so I haven't kept up with what people have been asking to be added. All I know is it works for me the way I want it to and it does everything I want, based on how I use my browser, but I can appreciate that everyone uses their browser differently, so some features that may not be appealing to me, are appealing to others.

In regards to changing the search provider in the search bar in a new tab, you can change the search provider for the address bar, so I think you can get around that one. I personally never use the search bar on the page, I always just use the address bar.

In any case, hopefully many of those features will be added in the near future. MS does seem to be listening, even if it seems like it's moving at snails pace for some things.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Dev channel update to 82.0.425.3 is live
Hello Insiders, today we’re releasing build 82.0.425.3 to the Dev Channel. As anticipated last week, this is the first build for major version 82. Because this is the first Dev Channel build in a new version, we don’t have too much new to talk about, although we do have another opportunity for you to talk to us next week. See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/edge-engineers-available-to-talk-with-you-on-feb-... for the details!

Additionally, we made some new blog posts about some of the performance improvements we’ve been working on: New optimizations boost performance in preview builds of Microsoft Edge - Microsoft Edge Blog, and some of the Mac manageability improvements we’ve been making: Simplifying Microsoft Edge configuration profiles for Jamf Pro - Microsoft Edge Blog. Also, one of our engineers made a detailed post about how the ability to choose a default profile to open links in works: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/select-a-default-profile-to-open-external-links-i.... And as some users have noticed, we’ve begun rolling out Extension sync in Canary, so look for that soon in Dev! Now, for what’s new:

Added feature:

• Added a management policy to allow the deletion of browsing data from Edge Legacy when it’s replaced by the installation of Edge’s Stable channel.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Extension Brings Internet Explorer Menu Bar to Microsoft Edge
Internet Explorer was the default browser for Windows for more than a decade and it was replaced by Edge on Windows 10. Edge has a modern look and is faster than Internet Explorer, but it doesn't come with Internet Explorer-like menu.

Fortunately, a developer has created a new extension for Microsoft Edge that restores Internet Explorer's menu bar, which gives you options like File, Edit, View, History, Bookmarks, Window, and Help menu right below the address bar.

Proper Menubar is a lightweight extension that also lets you cut and copy text, select all items, etc directly from the menu. The extension works for all websites and you can place the bar on the top or bottom of your screen.

"I understand the frustration that there is no menu bar on the web browser. That is why I as a web browser expert created this free Proper Menubar Microsoft Edge extension. So users can experience the real classic window menu design in his web browser. That from below the address bar and also in the extension icon as a vertical menu bar," wrote Stefan Van Damme, creator of the extension.

The menu created by the extension supports the ability to mute and unmute tabs, search keyword, customize the background, drop shadow, and open the link in the existing tab.

If you use Chromium Edge, you can download the extension from here. ProperMenu is also available for Chrome and Firefox.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Last edited:

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Anyone using v81 latest with Adguard for Desktop? if yes:

1- Do you see the adguard assistant (green adguard icon in a bubble) at the bottom right of your browser.

2- do you have entries in the filtering log (accessible via Adguard tray icon > Tool)
I have Adguard,my filtering log is empty

Reactions: oldschool
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I have Adguard,my filtering log is empty
Do you have a browser extension (like NoScript or similar) blocking scripts?
In my case scriptsafe failed to report it blocked Adguard scripts so it couldn't act properly. You can pinpoint this disfunction by the absence of the green adguard icon (aka the Assistant) located on bottom right of your webpage. Don't check it on MT, do it on other sites, for some reason it never show up with MT.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Is nice to see they finally "fixed" the favorites sorting, as for the media autoplay is not working as intended atm.
Still a young browser, i not so worried, and all those functions doesn't impact security, they make it less convenient but not unusable. I'm the meantime, using temporarily some extensions would fill the gap.

I use dev build, so I can get new/missing functionalities earlier.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.