New Update Microsoft Edge Developers build info

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Good catch. I was already testing that and after disabling hard acceleration, I'm seeing less black windows and when it appears it's for a split second so not as noticeable as my gif above. Dropped frames are still a thing on YouTube but it's not much noticeable anyway. But pretty sure both issues are connected. It's having some issues with rendering. I haven't used any Chromium browsers regularly for the last 3 years so not sure yet if it's a chromium related issue or Edge exclusive only but I think it's the latter one.

Actually, I got that idea from Brave only showing black screen. There's another suggestion you might try if you check the link.There have been other reports, mostly re: videos, on Brave but not as many overall as on Edge.

I'm a regular in the Brave Community in the hope that they'll improve core features, which have some issues. Maybe I shouldn't hold my breath?🤔

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Actually, I got that idea from Brave only showing black screen. There's another suggestion you might try if you check the link.There have been other reports, mostly re: videos, on Brave but not as many overall as on Edge.

I'm a regular in the Brave Community in the hope that they'll improve core features, which have some issues. Maybe I shouldn't hold my breath?🤔

Tell them to visit MT lol joking...

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

Thanks. Looks like this one is different as he changed his gpu and that's a whole black screen and nothing.
Btw, after 3 years I even installed Chrome today to check if my problem happens on Chrome too. Turns out it does there too but to a less extent. So, chromium has issues with my CPU/GPU. Also tried Vivaldi and Brave and did some personal speed tests too. Vivaldi is the slowest of all on my PC and it was very easy to notice from page loading to even opening a new browser window. Brave and Chrome performed similarly and Edge is slightly faster than Chrome. It always finishes loading page faster than others. Btw, this should vary system to system depending on the PC configuration, extensions, flags modification and of course internet connection. I was extremely picky in my own testing and talking about very little margin here that no one would notice in real time including me. Anyway, very happy with Edge's performance. Kudos to the team.
About your question about Brave, I don't know since I don't follow their development but it's easy to guess that their team is surely not as big as Edge and Chrome and even Firefox, so fixing bugs, adding features may take them longer compared to others. But their user base is growing. I think I read a news last night and their CEO Brandon Aich said that now they have 13 million active users.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft is testing automatic Edge roll-out with Windows 10 Insiders:
Microsoft’s Chromium-based Edge browser now seems to reliable enough to be shipped with Windows 10 as the company has started to roll out the browser to Windows 10 users via KB4559309 update, thus replacing the classic Edge browser.

The Windows 10 KB4559309 update is only available to Insiders Release Preview Ring running Windows 10 May 2020 update(Version 2004), meaning the browser is being automatically made available to a handful of users. Of course, if you’re an Insider on the RP Ring and also have Microsoft’s new browser installed on your PC, you won’t notice the change.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Dev channel update to 84.0.508.0 is live:
Hello Insiders! Today we’re releasing build 84.0.508.0 to the Dev channel. This week, we’ve got some detailed steps on how to nickname payment cards you’ve saved to your Edge profile: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/give-nicknames-to-your-credit-cards-in-microsoft-edg.... As for all of the new features and fixes this week:

Added features:
  • Added the ability to attach text notes to specific items in a Collection, as well as the ability to change the background color for general notes.
  • Added extra warnings when downloading inherently dangerous file types like DLLs.

Top Feedback Summary for May 12:
Hey, Insiders! This week is incredibly light with no changes to the list.

With no updates this week, we’d like to take the time to thank you all. We are constantly in awe of how excited you all are to share your thoughts, suggestions, and complaints with us. It makes us think of how we build things in different ways, and that will make all of us better. Thanks so much to all of you are submitting feedback and seeing the changes you suggest going live.

Have a suggestion or notice something acting a bit differently than what you’re used to seeing? Please submit that feedback through the browser!

Lastly, if you have thoughts on something that is on this list and it has a discussion thread, remember to jump into that and offer suggestions! While these threads are still open and on this list, we definitely want to continue to see your thoughts in there.

We’ll see you all with our update next week!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Everything new from Microsoft Edge at Build 2020:

Neowin article on the upcoming Edge features:

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Dev channel update to 84.0.516.1 is live:
Hello Insiders! Today we’re releasing build 84.0.516.1 to the Dev channel. In community news, we’ve got another AMA coming up! It’s happening Thursday over on Reddit, see for all the details. We’ve also got a discussion going around all the different ways you get back to websites you’ve been to before right here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/discussion-getting-back-to-websites-important-to-.... Finally, we’ve got a preview of everything we’re going to talk about at Build 2020! Whether you’re a web developer, an IT manager, or a student, we’ve got something for you: Everything new from Microsoft Edge at Build 2020 - Microsoft Edge Blog. In product news:

Added features:
  • Added UI to help enable media casting if users attempt to use it while it’s disabled. Note that casting is currently only supported via ChromeCast devices.
  • Added support for quieter notifications in edge://settings/content/notifications.
  • Improved the UI when picking a certificate to use for website authentication.
  • Added a Website Permissions Settings page for when a website wants to access serial ports.

Top Feedback Summary for May 19:
Greetings, Insiders! Welcome to Build week! There’s a lot happening on the team this week, including our third Reddit AMA. We hope you can join us in r/MicrosoftEdge on Thursday to chat with the team.

We have a couple of updates this week, including marking an item as Addressed. We’ve been working hard internally to improve this, but we believe to have a fix in place for Edge cannot find devices to cast media. Here’s how you can test out the fix:
  1. Update or install Edge version 84.0.512.0 or greater.
  2. Go to any site, right click, and select Cast media to device.
    1. Note: some sites override the default right-click menu. On such sites, press Alt+F > More tools > Cast media to device.
  3. The Cast tab dialog will appear prompting you to restart the browser. Select Restart.
  4. After the browser restarts, casting will be turned on after a few seconds.
Let us know how this works for you! Does this work well, is there something that can be done better? We want to know!

We’re also really excited to provide an update to Highlighter tool for PDF files. We’ve now got it scheduled to be in Canary come July, so we’ve moved it from Planned to Planned for July! Once we have more details around this item, you’ll see them here.

That’s it for this week! Keep an eye out on Twitter under the hashtag #MSBuild for all the news we’re sharing over the next couple of days. And remember to keep that feedback coming!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft Edge Immersive Reader Gets Translate Feature:
Immersive Reader in Microsoft Edge 84 Dev and Canary builds has got the ability to translate pages into different languages.

Immersive Reader feature in new Microsoft Edge, also available in Legacy Edge, Microsoft OneNote, and Microsoft Word improve the reading experience online.

The feature in the Edge browser can be accessed by clicking on the icon in the address bar or by using the shortcut F9. Edge also allows us to open selected text in Immersive Reader via the new option – “Open in Immersive Reader” -present in the Page context menu.

Microsoft recently added Picture Dictionary to IR behind a flag in pre-release channels. The flag when enabled appears under Reading Preferences, toggle it, and select or double click a word to see a picture.

Picture Dictionary lets you view the visual definition of words and helps users who learn new languages.

Microsoft Edge offers a Translate option for Immersive Reader in the Reading Preferences. This allows people to read pages in their native language.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Dev channel update to 84.0.522.5 is live:
Hello Insiders! Today we’re releasing build 84.0.522.5 to the Dev channel. We expect this to be the final build for major version 84, give or take a few small patches past .5. In community news, we’re excited to share an overview of our surf game to celebrate its arrival in Stable after Stable’s recent update to major version 83: Introducing the new surf game in Microsoft Edge - Microsoft Edge Blog. The surf game was originally the final part of the hidden journey to unveil our new logo last November, and now is a fun game you can play if you ever find yourself offline (or anytime!) We also posted about the improvements we’ve been making to spellcheck: Introducing an improved spellcheck experience in Microsoft Edge - Microsoft Edge Blog.

In product news, we’re excited to announce that Read Aloud is now available in PDFs! We put together an overview of it here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/microsoft-edge-read-aloud-now-with-pdf-support/m-p/1.... We also have a small preview of what to expect from Sidebar Search here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/introducing-sidebar-search-in-microsoft-edge/m-p/140.... In other news:

Added features:
  • Added support for Read Aloud in PDFs.
  • Added support for full page translation in Immersive Reader.
  • Added the ability for text saved to a Collection to take you back to the location on the webpage it came from.
  • Added back support for the Chromium “Force Dark Mode for Web Contents” flag.
  • Enabled Shy UI on Mac.
  • Added support for the F6 key to change focus on Mac.

Top Feedback Summary for May 28:
Hello, Insiders! We have a pretty quiet, short week for us. Those of us in Redmond enjoyed a three-day weekend thanks to Memorial Day!

Last week, we pushed 83 into our Stable channel! This brought changes like profile switching and the ability to have the Share button on the toolbar, both items that were based on user feedback and appeared in this list. Additionally, it brought the Surf game to Stable!

If you missed it, our Director of Product Marketing talked about how we’re making the web more accessible. In the post, Divya talks about things coming soon to our Insider channels, like Picture Dictionary.

And while this isn’t an update to one of the items on this list at this time, Maryam posted a thread about the new sidebar search option. You should expect to see this roll out to Dev and Canary very soon!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Dev channel update to 85.0.531.1 is live:
Hello Insiders! Today we’re releasing build 85.0.531.1 to the Dev channel. It’s a small week this week since it’s the first one for major version 85. Everything noteworthy it contains is:

Added features:
  • Added a setting to enable preloading of certain webpages for faster searches and browsing.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
While the roadmap page lists the feature as rolling out with a release completion set for July 2020, support for the Duo emulator can currently be enabled on the Canary, Dev, and Beta branches of both Edge and Chrome. The developer tools page provides the option to emulate the Surface Duo as well as the Galaxy fold.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Dev channel update to 85.0.538.0 is live:
Hello Insiders! Today we’re releasing build 85.0.538.0 to the Dev channel. There’s not much to share this week, so here’s everything that’s notable:

Added features:
  • Added more languages that are supported for translating page content.
  • Added support for the TLS Cipher Suite Deny List management policy. Updated Administrative Templates to come later.
  • Added the Win HTTP Proxy Resolver Enabled management policy to control how Microsoft Edge interacts with the Windows proxy resolver. Note that this policy is already deprecated, and Administrative Templates will come later.

Top Feedback Summary for June 10:
Greetings, Insiders! We have several updates to provide you, so let’s just jump into it!

First, we’re adding a new item this week! Add option to remove previous search terms from the New Tab Page’s search box auto-suggestion list is currently Under Review. We’ve heard from users like yourselves that you are looking for the search bar on the new tab page to have the option to clear previous search terms. The team is reviewing this, and we’ll provide updates as we get them.

We’re really excited to announce that one item is moving to Addressed, Support read aloud of PDF files. Fawkes posted an article from the team about how to try out the feature in our Dev and Canary channels. Have more feedback about this feature? Please drop a note in that thread or submit feedback via the in-app feedback tool. Thanks to everyone who submitted feedback in the past about this so the team can understand where you’re coming from when you use the read aloud feature!

Additionally, we’re ready to move Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge from In Discussion to Planned. We encourage you to review the new sidebar search option that we recently implemented. Please give us your thoughts on this feature over in the thread Maryam posted a couple weeks ago.

Lastly, we are moving Mouse cursor sometimes disappears from In Discussion to Planned for June. We’ve recently implemented improvements that we feel cover a lot of the issues users have reported seeing, however we encourage you to submit feedback via the browser if you still notice issues with your mouse cursor disappearing. It’s important to note that your mouse cursor should disappear if you are watching a video or if you are using a trackpad. Head over to the discussion thread to let Clay and team know if you’re seeing this still.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Dev channel update to 85.0.545.0 is live:
Hello Insiders! Today we’re releasing build 85.0.545.0 to the Dev channel. We’ve got quite a few things to mention this week:

As for everything new in the browser:

Added features:

• Added the ability to import data from Edge Legacy on demand.

Get this week's Twitter recap from some of our engineers:
Happy Monday! I wanted to let you know that we have posted the latest updates in This Just In from the @MSEdgeDev Twitter handle. This recaps posts by some of our engineers who are active on Twitter. You should swing by and read them if you have a chance. Thanks - Elliot

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft is bringing back the option to block Media Autoplay on websites in the new Microsoft Edge browser via a flag in the Canary version.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
‘Sidebar Search’ now Available in Microsoft Edge Canary:
The latest Microsoft Edge Canary allows you to search in Sidebar from the context menu.

Microsoft regrets “Ask Cortana” in Microsoft Edge legacy hasn’t fulfilled the user needs, that’s why a much better Sidebar Search has been introduced in the new Microsoft Edge with the addition of new features.

Microsoft has recently announced it will roll out Sidebar Search feature to dev and Canary channels of Edge browser. The feature is now available in Edge Canary 85.0.554.0 or later.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.