Advice Request The best experimental flags for Microsoft Edge (edge://flags)

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 85179
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Thread author
This was integrated by default not long after the introduction of Edge Chromium so the flag was superfluous quite some time ago.
Good to know!

Also i found this new flag:
Application Guard Prelaunch
If enabled, Microsoft Edge Application Guard will be prelaunched in the background when recently used. – Windows
#edge-wdag-prelaunch

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Thread author
Tip: DON'T enable this flag if you watch videos in the new Chromium Edge

For a few weeks, I had a bug where I couldn't play any video content in MSEdge, and thought it was just because I was on the canary channel. I thought the bug would resolve itself, but after a while, I realized that something must be wrong as I was the only one experiencing the bug.

After thinking about it some more, and getting really fed-up that I couldn't watch videos of any sort (from Reddit, YouTube, Twitter, etc), I decided to look at the flags I had enabled to see if any of them were causing the issue, and low and behold, disabling this one did the trick.

If you like to enable flags to test new features: DON'T ENABLE THIS ONE! Something about it ruins Edge's ability to play video content, and just shows a black screen instead of the video.

If you know what it does, or you're testing the flag, power to you! Otherwise, just stay away from it. ;)

Enjoy the new Edge experience! I'm excited to see these new vertical tabs.... Seems like an interesting idea....
#edge-mf-clear-playback-win10

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
edge://flags/#cross-origin-opener-policy
Also available in Brave release channel.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Thread author
I reset #same-site-by-default-cookies because that's now default with Edge 86 (y)

SameSite=Lax Cookies By Default. To improve web security and privacy, cookies will now default to SameSite=Lax handling by default. This means that cookies will only be sent in a first-party context and will be omitted for requests sent to third-parties. This change can cause compatibility impact on websites that require cookies for third-party resources to function correctly. To permit such cookies, web developers can mark cookies which should be set from and sent to third-party contexts by adding explicit SameSite=none and Secure attributes when the cookie is set. Enterprises that wish to exempt certain sites from this change can do so using the LegacySameSiteCookieBehaviorEnabledForDomainList policy, or can opt-out of the change across all sites using the LegacySameSiteCookieBehaviorEnabled policy.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Sorry just being lazy, are any of these setting now default?

#Anonymize local IPs exposed by WebRTC.
#extension-content-verification (strict)
#reduced-referrer-granularity
#disallow-doc-written-script-loads
#enable-mark-http-as (unsecure)
#enable-lazy-image-loading
#enable-lazy-frame-loading
#strict-origin-isolation
#enable-heavy-ad-intervention
#raw-clipboard (disabled)

Thanks in advance (@knowledgable members of this forum :) )

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Thread author
#Anonymize local IPs exposed by WebRTC
Not available anymore

available but not needed

available, unsure about if it is good or not

#extension-content-verification (strict)
#disallow-doc-written-script-loads
#enable-mark-http-as (unsecure)
#enable-lazy-frame-loading
#strict-origin-isolation
#enable-heavy-ad-intervention
available and still important

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Thanks new list of enabled flags

Extension
  • Extension Content Verification (strict)
  • CORS for content scripts
  • Force empty CORB and CORS allowlist
  • Load Media Router Component Extension (disabled)
Security
  • Strict-Origin-Isolation
  • Block scripts loaded via document.write
Privacy
  • Heavy Ad Intervention
  • Heavy ad privacy mitigations

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
available but not needed
Any explanation on why #reduced-referrer-granularity is not needed anymore?
Heavy ad privacy mitigations
Looks like according to Edge it's on by default.
1.PNG

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.