Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
1957504.jpg

Former U.S. National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden told German TV on Sunday about reports that U.S. government officials want to assassinate him for leaking secret documents about the NSA's collection of telephone records and emails.

In what German public broadcaster ARD said was Snowden's first television interview, Snowden also said he believes the NSA has monitored other top German government officials along with Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Snowden told ARD that he felt there are "significant threats" to his life but he said that he nevertheless sleeps well because he believes he did the right thing by informing the public about the NSA's activities.

cptredsox

Level 1
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
and amerika .. democracy ? .. every time i hear about those covert ops .. drone wars .. etc. .. i just think the USA are a wolf in sheep´s clothing .. and i prefer the wolves alone .. at least ya know what to expect

Reactions: ZeroDay

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
'Edward Snowden reveals that his life is in danger' - sure Russia is not very sure
sure Russia is not very sure

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Unfortunately our "democratic" way of life is diminishing worldwide!

John F Kennedy that great president spoke his mind about many things,he wanted to change America for the better by ending the Vietnam War,and generally favoured peace and democracy.By doing so he signed his own death warrant!
He tried to change the status quo and unfortunalely he paid the ultimate price.

Snowden has the guts to speak out and for this I applaud him!!

Edward Snowden,"I salute you".

I

illumination

Snowden is a two sided coin.. A hero to some, a traitor to others. He did not stop at just revealing Privacy breaches for common US folk, what he revealed has become hazardous to the security of the US. He revealed standard OP "operating Procedures" to other countries that also use surveillance. He jeopardized the US's ability to track terrorist as well as other countries with other then good intentions.

I can not place this man upon a list of great deeds. There are ways to do things, and the way he did this was just wrong in my eyes.

Reactions: Exterminator

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
However you feel about the US bottom line is Snowden compromised the security of the citizens of the US and quite possibly many other nations around the world.

Reactions: illumination

cptredsox

Level 1
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
there is a simple thing you need to consider .. the price you have to pay for this overall .. above over all security, with more security the loss of freedom is high, and no one is asking the US to do all this, they are doing this without permission or asking, placing themselves quite high above many other nations .. with high moral statements, they are violating every day. So if someone sells you a pile of ****, tells you its gold, but it still is **** .. so the "security" they bring helps their own goals and interests. and somebody needs to show the people whats going on, and that the NSA cant simply do anything they want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: aztony
I

illumination

there is a simple thing you need to consider .. the price you have to pay for this overall .. above over all security, with more security the loss of freedom is high, and no one is asking the US to do all this, they are doing this without permission or asking, placing themselves quite high above many other nations .. with high moral statements, they are violating every day. So if someone sells you a pile of ****, tells you its gold, but it still is **** .. so the "security" they bring helps their own goals and interests. and somebody needs to show the people whats going on, and that the NSA cant simply do anything they want.

Show me any other country, that has the capabilities to do these things, that does not do them. What makes others mad about the NSA, is they are good at what they do.

Now as far as freedoms go, what makes average joes, think the NSA considers them so important to spy on them, to waste resources on them. Times have changed, technology has made it easier for terrorist and criminals to communicate and move around. These communications, hidden/encrypted are harder to intercept. Around 9/11 when this happened, the whole country came down on the intelligence gathering community, for lack of answers/communication. So now the NSA have done what is necessary to gather intel, and everyone is up in arms over it, invasion of privacy.

The threats now days are not black and white, they do not operate by rules "which the NSA is supposed to do".. We still have agencies operating on 20 year old laws, if not older that in no way apply to the way technology has changed today. So, if you can tell me how they are supposed to do their jobs, of protecting the country, and keep up with the other countries, without upsetting some people, im sure they would be glad to listen..

Last edited by a moderator:

cptredsox

Level 1
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
Show me any other country, that has the capabilities to do these things, that does not do them.

that is the point i agree ;) ..

Now as far as freedoms go, what makes average joes, think the NSA considers them so important to spy on them, to waste resources on them. Times have changed, technology has made it easier for terrorist and criminals to communicate and move around. These communications, hidden/encrypted are harder to intercept. Around 9/11 when this happened, the whole country came down on the intelligence gathering community, for lack of answers/communication. So now the NSA have done what is necessary to gather intel, and everyone is up in arms over it, invasion of privacy.

so you are one of those the end justifies the means guys .. ok, and there is so much terror that needs to be stopped :rolleyes:

The threats now days are not black and white, they do not operate by rules "which the NSA is supposed to do".. We still have agencies operating on 20 year old laws, if not older that in no way apply to the way technology has changed today. So, if you can tell me how they are supposed to do their jobs, of protecting the country, and keep up with the other countries, without upsetting some people, im sure they would be glad to listen..

and why is the allmighty NSA allowed to do so ? .. "because it is necessary" ???

come on .. thats so cliche

Reactions: Gnosis

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I realize this is a heated debate but please refer to the Forum Rules.

Paying particular attention to

I. General Forum Rules:

4. Watch your language.
+ All posts must be made in English with proper spelling and punctuation.
+ Foul language is not tolerated. Do not try and avoid moderation by replacing letters, i.e with a *.
+ Be nice to each other. Profanity, insults, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts will not be tolerated

Mistakes happen when people feel passionate about a topic but lets try and abide by the rules and respect other members

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
I

illumination

so you are one of those the end justifies the means guys .. ok, and there is so much terror that needs to be stopped :rolleyes:

Had a guy say that the other day, he decided to show me a graph, that states, terrorism and or acts of have declined over a big period of time, as his proof that the NSA is not needed to do this intel.. :rolleyes: I said, maybe it is because they are doing their job, that there is this decline, ever think of this?

In all these debates i have had with people over this, one question i still get no response to is, can anyone out there show me solid proof that the NSA has gathered intel on them, from their phones to their emails, has anyone physically "SEEN" this proof of invasion of privacy, or do they just take it upon word it is happening, relying upon hearsay.

Am i one of those guys that loves my country, yes. Matter of fact, i served in the armed forces "to help protect some of those freedoms you speak of"..

cptredsox

Level 1
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
Had a guy say that the other day, he decided to show me a graph, that states, terrorism and or acts of have declined over a big period of time, as his proof that the NSA is not needed to do this intel.. :rolleyes: I said, maybe it is because they are doing their job, that there is this decline, ever think of this?

but you have to understand one point, i wont believe something only because they say so ;) ..

In all these debates i have had with people over this, one question i still get no response to is, can anyone out there show me solid proof that the NSA has gathered intel on them, from their phones to their emails, has anyone physically "SEEN" this proof of invasion of privacy, or do they just take it upon word it is happening, relying upon hearsay.

iam not complaining about myself .. i dont care if they spy on me because i have nothing to hide ;) .. but they still dont have the right to globally spy on People and do things not even permitted in the US itself .. they dont have the right to move in the grey area, they just do because they can and that is whats wrong.

Am i one of those guys that loves my country, yes. Matter of fact, i served in the armed forces "to help protect some of those freedoms you speak of"..

but you have to admit that love for your country and blindly eating everything they throw at you is a difference, you love your country if you question its motives, look at what they do and why, not blindly accepting everything

I

illumination

;) ..

but they still dont have the right to globally spy on People
You just admitted above that other countries do this as well, so why should the US not have the right to do so?

not blindly accepting everything

I blindly accept nothing, it is with an open mind, i look at everything, not one sided.
If i blindly accepted everything, i would follow the herd in this rant.

cptredsox

Level 1
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
You just admitted above that other countries do this as well, so why should the US not have the right to do so?

no one has the right ;) .. but right now we are talking about the US, and the US is barking louder than most others when it comes to the protection of freedom, human rights, moral aspects, etc. and they act very differently behind closed doors

I blindly accept nothing, it is with an open mind, i look at everything, not one sided.

well, in military you had to accept blindly

and prior to 9/11 there haven´t been that much attacks worth mentioning. what you miss here is, terror (on this scale) is only a topic since 9/11, and the us goverment created grey area´s everywhere which attack freedom

I

illumination

no one has the right ;) .. but right now we are talking about the US, and the US is barking louder than most others when it comes to the protection of freedom, human rights, moral aspects, etc. and they act very differently behind closed doors
No one has the right, but they all do it. Even though we are talking about the US, and the means justifying as you stated. Justification is, the US has the right to protect itself, and to do so on the same scale as everyone else.

If it is a personal problem with US, that is harbored, i would suggest stowing this, and with an open mind, realize that the US has to do for itself, what the other countries are doing in order to maintain.

well, in military you had to accept blindly
Even in the military i accepted nothing blindly. We receive orders, but also have rules and regulations, some of which include being able to challenge orders that are along the lines of not being right or overly dangerous.

and prior to 9/11 there haven´t been that much attacks worth mentioning. what you miss here is, terror (on this scale) is only a topic since 9/11, and the us goverment created grey area´s everywhere which attack freedom

So let me get this straight, the US was attacked physically, resulting in thousands of deaths, but yet the US created this area?

So you are saying, essentially that if the town you are living in, was attacked, and it locked certain areas down, resulting in things not being quite the same they were before the attack, you would be upset at the changes, instead of the being grateful the town was now trying to protect you and your loved ones from another incident?

cptredsox

Level 1
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
Justification is, the US has the right to protect itself, and to do so on the same scale as everyone else.

if this all was about the sheer protection of the US .. there would be no problem at all ;) .. but its way beyond that

If it is a personal problem with US, that is harbored, i would suggest stowing this, and with an open mind, realize that the US has to do for itself, what the other countries are doing in order to maintain.

iam not an anti american .. but i dont like many things the goverment does .. as i said above i simply find the measures taken for "protection" are way to high and missguiding, and i would go that way and say these measures are not only for protection ;) ..

So let me get this straight, the US was attacked physically, resulting in thousands of deaths, but yet the US created this area?

you get something wrong here, they are not publicly changing all those things .. they use grey area´s to do things not allowed

So you are saying, essentially that if the town you are living in, was attacked, and it locked certain areas down, resulting in things not being quite the same they were before the attack, you would be upset at the changes, instead of the being grateful the town was now trying to protect you and your loved ones from another incident?

we are not talking about one town only .. and the "changes" really vary, to put rights of people behind for security, spit on dignity, i think thats the point where something is wrong

but i think we wont get anywhere with this .. because you are not neutral on that point

I

illumination

Since it is apparent that this vehicle "debate" is hung upon it's frame, wheels spinning but gaining no traction, i will end this here.

You are entitled to your perspective the same as me, and i respect that. I also respect that we could have this debate without it turning nasty, "as a good debate" i enjoy.

It is with this, i will say thank you for providing, without becoming defensive, it was enjoyed!
Have a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.