Edward Snowden's Haven App BETA released (Guardian Project)

Discussion in 'Other Security for Android and iOS' started by Spawn, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Spawn

Spawn Administrator
    Staff Member Content Creator

Jan 8, 2011
    Official Website:
    https://guardianproject.github.io/haven/
    Build version:
    Beta releases may be unstable and contain unreported bugs
    Google Play Store URL:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.havenapp.main
    Source: Edward Snowden's Haven app uses your phone to detect intruders

Android: Haven: Keep Watch (BETA) - Android Apps on Google Play

Haven only saves images and sound when triggered by motion or volume, and stores everything locally on the device. You can position the device’s camera to capture visible motion, or set your phone somewhere discreet to just listen for noises. Get secure notifications of intrusion events instantly and access the logs remotely or anytime later.

The follow sensors are monitored for a measurable change, and then recorded to an event log on the device:
    • Accelerometer: phone’s motion and vibration
    • Camera: motion in the phone’s visible surroundings from front or back camera
    • Microphone: noises in the environment
    • Light: change in light from ambient light sensor
    • Power: detect device being unplugged or power loss

2. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 21

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    Wow, this app is brilliant, a sort of game changer and absolutely the sort of technology I love. The bad guys create things, the good guys turn those things back around onto the bad guys.

Cell phones are remarkable spy tools used against people. Now those very things they designed them to do are completely turned around into what appears to be a robust protection tool. Any old phone laying around is potentially a robust security and protection system. It doesn't get any better than this!

3. Omidreza.S

Omidreza.S Level 2

Dec 20, 2014
    Electrical engineer
    Shiraz
    Windows 8.1
    Doctor Web
    I never trust snowden!!!why?cuse if nsa not remove him from operation snowden still spy on user but for revenge he leak the information

4. boredog

boredog Level 8

Jul 5, 2016
    Retired
    usa
    Windows 10
    Malwarebytes
    I did not understand the install directions at all. Someone needs to post a better step by step for me please?

askalan likes this.
  5. askalan

askalan Level 9
    AV Tester

Jul 27, 2017
    Germany
    Linux
    Doctor Web
    You can download it in the Google Play Store. Just search for Haven: Keep Watch (BETA).

harlan4096 likes this.
  6. boredog

boredog Level 8

Jul 5, 2016
    Retired
    usa
    Windows 10
    Malwarebytes
    Yes I understand that part but the directions say to install F-Droid first, ect.

askalan likes this.
  7. askalan

askalan Level 9
    AV Tester

Jul 27, 2017
    Germany
    Linux
    Doctor Web
    F-Droid is just like the Google Play Store but privacy ortiented. If you want to get that app store then just go to Google Play Store and download this app first. Then you need to add this repository. You click on the three points above and then repositories (if you wannt to get Haven trough this app). Then you paste this link: "https://guardianproject.github.io/haven-nightly/fdroid/repo/". Then you can search for this app in F-Droid. Please note that F-Droid does make the same as Google Play Store.

Omidreza.S likes this.
  8. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    LOL at this useless app.

If i need infos in your device and i'm near enough to access it, i just stole it; and your phone too !
    Then i need 5mn to open the devices, take out the drives/memory cards and leave.

Snowden watches spy movies too much, as if people will JamesBond-ing on your devices using fancy tech and go out as if they were never there....seriously...

That is the only reasonable use of this app...

9. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Level 22

Aug 17, 2013
    Birmingham UK
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    I sometimes wonder if Snowden is a red Herring still working for the American government. I think it's an extremely long shot, but I do often wonder about it.

10. askalan

askalan Level 9
    AV Tester

Jul 27, 2017
    Germany
    Linux
    Doctor Web
    The app is open source :)

ZeroDay likes this.
  11. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Level 22

Aug 17, 2013
    Birmingham UK
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    I know that, I was referring to much more than the app.

askalan likes this.
  12. Spawn

Spawn Administrator
    Staff Member Content Creator

Jan 8, 2011
    I read an article about using a burner phone instead.
    For example, placing an Android burner phone on or nearby a device (ie. laptop with sensitive data), during a "break-in" the motion/noise will activate the sensors and the event will be logged. If you have an Android-powered device, you can bug your own home.
    See what Sensors are Packed on your Smartphone/Tablet?
    Did you forget you run real (dangerous) Malware on your Host PC? Talk about leaking information.

Oxygen likes this.
  13. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    yes it a way to do it.