Guide | How To Effectively Configure AdGuard AdBlocker on Chrome, Firefox, Opera

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Homepage - Adguard blocks popups and other types of ads
Chrome Web Store - Adguard AdBlocker for Google Chrome

Once installed, right-click the Adguard icon and select Options.

Options

upload_2014-5-4_22-24-11.png

Or access via the Extensions manager, Paste into omnibar chrome://extensions/ .

upload_2014-5-4_22-44-32.png

General Settings
  • Disable "Allow acceptable ads", if you want all Ads to be blocked without exceptions.
  • Disable "Activate most appropriate filters automatically", to have full control of your selected filters.

upload_2014-5-4_22-26-7.png

Ad Blocker
  • Enable "English filter", or others according to your language.
  • Enable "Spyware and Tracking filter", to block trackers
  • Enable "Social and Media filter", to block social networking activity on third-party sites such as, Like, Tweet and Share buttons

upload_2014-5-4_22-28-24.png

Browser Security
  • Enable "Phishing and Malware protection", for enhanced protection against socially engineered and malicious sites.
  • Disable "Help us in Browser security filters development", if you do wish anonymous data to be sent.

upload_2014-5-4_22-31-7.png

Miscellaneous
  • Disable "Show information on AdGuard full version", to hide the upsell. upload_2014-5-4_22-46-10.png
  • Disable "Send statistics for ad filters usage", to prevent usage reports being sent.

upload_2014-5-4_22-36-49.png

Add More Filters - Updated August 2016

upload_2016-8-21_0-21-5.png

• Click on "All Filters" to add more content blocking lists.
    • Enabled lists are shown in Italics.
    • Remember to Save changes after enabling the following filters.
upload_2016-8-21_0-47-24.png

• Expand "Adguard Filters"
    • Enable "Annoyance Filters" to block irritating webpage elements.
    • Enable "Mobile Ads filter" to block mobile Ad networks.
    • Enable "Safari filter" for Mac OS X users who use Safari web browser.
upload_2016-8-21_0-37-25.png

• Expand "EasyList" for EasyPrivacy and Fanboy lists.
  • Expand "Other" for all other lists available
    • Enable "Anti-Adblock Killer | Reek" to hide websites from asking you to disable your content blocker.
upload_2016-8-21_0-42-31.png

How do you have Adguard AdBlocker configured?
Do you know how to remove adguard.com from the whitelist?

If you have any tips or suggestions, feel free to share them here. :)

Spotted a mistake? Contact me via PM.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
You need to enable experimental filter if u want enjoy it's full feature against ads. Btw adguard extension is not so good. I prefer adguard
coz u have nice options like block element where u can use it to block ads or any pic/text in a page if adguard (default) can't block it.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Yeah i know that they r doing experiment with that filter means they r improving that filter but if u want to use that incomplete filter, then u can tick mark on that, maybe it can give u some benefit. Mine shows "Experimental filterVersion 1.0.12.97. Updated 6 may 2014 at 02:41 " :)

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Thanks a lot for the information Huracan :) I have a few questions though :

1. Which is the lightest one? AB/ABP or AdGuard?
2. Is Adguard plugin and AdGuard software different product? afaik AdGuard software is a paid product which AdGuard plugin free?
Adguard is lightest one compared to AB/ABP. and yes adguard extension & adguard (installer) is quite a bit different coz adguard provides more features then the extension one.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Thanks a lot for the information Huracan :) I have a few questions though :

1. Which is the lightest one? AB/ABP or AdGuard?
2. Is Adguard plugin and AdGuard software different product? afaik AdGuard software is a paid product which AdGuard plugin free?
I'm using Adguard right now. There is a blog post here: http://blog.adguard.com/en/adguard-news/a-free-lite-version-of-adguard-for-google-chrome.html that tells the difference. Or read the simplified version here:
1. Adguard Extension doesn't block ads, it only hides them, resulting in no decrease in page load, while Adguard full can block ads before the page is loaded
2. Adguard full has Adguard Helper, an icon that tells you WOT ratings with its color and clicking on it has a bunch of features. Adguard Extension doesn't.
3. Adguard full has full technical support (Help pages, Forum, and Email/PM), Adguard Extension only has Forum.
4. Adguard full does not slow down browser startup because it is in a seperate process, while Adguard Extension uses the Chrome/Firefox/Opera/Safari process.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Would I be able to disable Disconnect Me if I'm using the freeware extension of Adguard with Spyware Filter and Fanboys Enhanced Tracking List filter turned on? They seem like they might do the same thing as D-Me. I'm still trying all sorts of things to lighten my computer. The best was Bluhell with D-Me, but in the end Bluhell just missed too many things to keep it. Terrible shame, definitely by far the best for being the quickest of any combo so far. I thought uBlock origin was gonna be the best for an all in one, but the configuration was just too complicated for me in the end despite everyone saying it was easy. The config I ended up with was alot slower, and I couldn't ever tell if I had set it up properly anyways.
Yes.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

Muppet

Level 1
Nov 10, 2015
Thanks so much for this Adguard configuration tutorial. It's exactly what I needed.

Homepage - Adguard blocks popups and other types of ads Chrome Web Store - Adguard AdBlocker for Google Chrome Once installed, right-click the Adguard icon and select Options. Options View attachment 10675 Or access via the Extensions manager, Paste into omnibar chrome://extensions/ . View attachment 10680 General Settings
  • Disable "Allow acceptable ads", if you want all Ads to be blocked without exceptions.
  • Disable "Activate most appropriate filters automatically", to have full control of your selected filters.
View attachment 10676 Ad Blocker
  • Enable "English filter", or others according to your language.
  • Enable "Spyware and Tracking filter", to block trackers
  • Enable "Social and Media filter", to block social networking activity on third-party sites such as, Like, Tweet and Share buttons
View attachment 10677 Browser Security
  • Enable "Phishing and Malware protection", for enhanced protection against socially engineered and malicious sites.
  • Disable "Help us in Browser security filters development", if you do wish anonymous data to be sent.
View attachment 10678 Miscellaneous
  • Disable "Show information on AdGuard full version", to hide the upsell. View attachment 10681
  • Disable "Send statistics for ad filters usage", to prevent usage reports being sent.
View attachment 10679 How do you have Adguard AdBlocker configured? Do you know how to remove adguard.com from the whitelist? If you have any tips or suggestions, feel free to share them here. :) Spotted a mistake? Contact me via PM.

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Great article bro. Thank you very much ;)
I wonder to know which extension do you recommend in terms of protection and effectiveness? Adguard AdBlocker or uBlock Origin

Not to forget that uBlock Origin has another great extension called "uBlock Origin WebSocket"...
A companion extension to uBlock Origin: this gives uBlock Origin the ability to see and filter WebSocket connection attempts.
uBlock Origin WebSocket

harman

Level 1
Verified
Aug 31, 2016
In the 'Filtering Settings' , 'do not filter websites with EV certificates' is unchecked by default. I was wondering if this setting affects banking or similar websites (with SSL certificates) and whether I should turn this option on if I do not want adguard to filter traffic on banking websites.
Can anyone advice if I should turn this option on or whether I should let it remain unchecked. Also, should I disable HTTPS filtering?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: shukla44 and Muppet

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.