Advice Request Eight reasons why Windows 8 Is NOT for you

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Because some don't like Win8:

Second in a series. To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question. With the public release of Windows 8 following closely around the corner, it's time to sit down and take a good look at what makes Windows 8 a worthwhile upgrade, which is why I've prepared a list of eight important Windows 8 features that shouldn't be the reason for everyone to upgrade to the latest desktop operating system from Microsoft.

Windows 8 is a mixed bag, and it's all because of its new UI -- and there's no escaping the fact that it will always be one of the most controversial features and one of the most debated "benefits" of adopting the latest version of the popular operating system. In all honestly, judging Windows 8 by its new interface alone is like judging a book by its cover, so let's dive a little deeper into the newly added features of Windows 8 and dissect the ones that do not make it a worthwhile upgrade for everyone.

If my colleague Wayne Williams has "Eight good reasons to upgrade to Windows 8", I have eight good reasons why you shouldn't upgrade. So without further ado...

Source

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
3. Microsoft account is required. Windows 8 provides two methods of authentication, one using a local account and the second relying on a Microsoft account. The only way to get access to complete Windows 8 functionality is to use the latter, basically forcing you to apply for a Microsoft account in order to benefit from all features. Want to use a Google account? Tough luck. Features like Windows Store only work with Microsoft account. If you do not have one or do not want to create one just for Windows 8 you're out of luck.

So explain this to me, because i seem to be missing something. When Microsoft does this, it's bad. but when Apple does the same thing, everything is just dandy?

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
To be honest, it's like they didn't even care about the quality of Windows 8 on PCs, and it may even seem to some people that they were purely creating Windows 8 to allow them to squeeze as much money as possible out of tablets, but we all know that Microsoft would never do that, right?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
elliotcroft said:
Windows 8 to allow them to squeeze as much money as possible out of tablets, but we all know that Microsoft would never do that, right?

Yes absolutely , we all know that micro$oft is a charity company :D

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
elliotcroft said:
Windows 8 to allow them to squeeze as much money as possible out of tablets, but we all know that Microsoft would never do that, right?

Yes absolutely , we all know that micro$oft is a charity company :D
In all honesty, I'm truly appalled with the focus Microsoft has given to tablets and not much else. The metro UI seems like it would be a nightmare for anyone using a keyboard and mouse and the 'Desktop Mode' is much less well done than the metro UI and cannot be solely relied on as they have removed the start menu so one is forced to go onto the metro UI to find anything, which means that the constant going back and forth is going to get quite tedious as I'm sure the delay is more than it was with the Start Menu. The Start Menu key was also a handy way of getting out of full screen applications without closing them completely, which will no longer be possible with Windows 8 since it'll just bring up the metro UI. This will also make gaming on Windows a lot less appealing, as an OS geared towards tablets is neither going to have the specs nor the number of buttons necessary for one to fully enjoy it.
I would say that I'm going to give Windows 8 a miss, but the new metro UI may be the new focal point of some applications, so it'll be completely impossible to use those on older versions of Windows. Anyone else think this was their plan all along?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
elliotcroft said:
Anyone else think this was their plan all along?

They developed Win8 at same time as Win7, I think loudly that they just waited for the release of their hardware products series.
Microsoft was always late for that kind of "tablet" products, so they try to kill 2 birds at same time with Win8.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
elliotcroft said:
Anyone else think this was their plan all along?

I don't know if that was their plan, but I think they're making a big mistake by trying to make a single OS for both tablets and desktops.

As I've said elsewhere on the forum, Windows 8 is a bit of a two-headed monster. A, "Jack of all trades, master of none". The whole Metro interface feels more like a gimmick tacked on to the OS, then a polished, usable product.

I've decided I'm going to give it a pass, even though the $40 introductory offer is an amazing deal. :(

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
This makes me more and more to stick with Windows 7.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
I suppose windows 7 will stay with most of the users for another 10 years just like XP. Unless Microsoft officially stops supporting Windows 7 as well or improve windows 8 and listen to users and give them what they want rather than impose what Microsoft feels right for the users

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
These are opinion not facts. Don't be a fool to believe this article.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
ZOU1 said:
I will be staying with XP until it explodes, whether MSFT supports it or not.

Dad's an XP fan he has the same thoughts as you, if it stops working and his only option is to switch to Windows 7 he will.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Agreed not many benifits on Windows 8. But leave the desktop edition. For an admin Windows Server 2012 will be his nightmare. First of all there two UI to navigate. Things which he could do simply would take much more time. And again the learning curve. MS should have kept Metro only for the Tablet OS. I also would not integrate my PC and authenticate it with live account. MS should have bought unity from canonical. Windows 8 then would have been a sucess. Even dual booting is a mess with the new bootloader. Again I bet IE11 only be there for windows 8 to force people to switch.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
I don't think the reason given avoid people to use windows 8.
Every product is criticize before it finally launch in market and give it performance.
The so called Experts tend to give advice on every product but the product chosen by smart customer only by their experiences but not by reviews :D

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Dad's an XP fan he has the same thoughts as you, if it stops working and his only option is to switch to Windows 7 he will.

Well tell your father that you know another throwback from the old school, besides him. haha

You would think that Microsoft could always offer an XP edition with a few perks from 7 and 8, but with basically the same interfaces as XP. That way you could always buy the latest brand new OS release, or the latest XP "classic" release.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I personally got used to Windows 8. But since it is beta, I have noticed some stability issues, decided to go back to Windows 7. I am trying to get used to it.

Note: Dont look at the Windows 8 in my signature. I am just lazy to change it. :p

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I always couldn't wait to try the next OS from Microsoft every since Windows 95. The worst one was Windows ME (the OS that like to crash for no apparent reason). Out of all of these Windows OS, Windows XP is still my favorite but since it will not support many of the latest features, my main system is Windows 7 which is my next pick. After looking at the images of Windows 8 and reading all of the news about it, I'm not even going to try it since it really doesn't offer anything I need. I even have a free upgrade offer because I just recently bought my new system.

But unless I could install it on a separate partition without messing up Windows 7, I will be passing on it.

I have used a Windows Mobile Phone before and hated it.

For those of you who are still holding on to Windows XP, I don't blame you one bit. I really wished Microsoft would have preserved XP, just about all of the features of Vista and Windows 7 could have been added as service packs but then Microsoft wouldn't have made money.

Once Microsoft drops support and Windows Updates for XP, I have read some third-party developers will start making unofficial patches. I will like to see how that goes.

Thanks.:D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thinking back, the leap from XP to Vista was huge. So huge that many thought it was a fail, but it lead to success with 7, and Windows 8 is an upgrade to that with a leap in the "tablet" market, so I can see why many do not like what MS are doing.

Compare that to Apple, their new OS has features from iOS.

Do you know who that may be?

Littlebits said:
I have read some third-party developers will start making unofficial patches.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
The worst one was Windows ME (the OS that like to crash for no apparent reason).

It's funny because I never had any problems with Windows ME. I kept reading about how horrible it was and that people were having horrible experiences, and I could only shrug my shoulders. I guess I just never did whatever was causing the problems. :blush:

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Once Microsoft drops support and Windows Updates for XP, I have read some third-party developers will start making unofficial patches. I will like to see how that goes.

Good point. That has crossed my mind recently. You never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.