Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Email-Delivers-Resume-and-CryptoWall-3-0-483481-2.jpg

A new resume-themed malicious email campaign spotted by security researchers aims at delivering version 3.0 of CryptoWall ransomware, recording success against some antivirus solutions.

Distributing crypto-malware this way is not uncommon, but cybercriminals make constant efforts to evade detection.

Ransomware delivered after several redirects
For this campaign, the threat actor sends the message making it look like it is a reply to a previous email sent by the victim. Attached to it is a ZIP archive containing an HTML document

The file redirects to a compromised WordPress website containing an iFrame with a redirect to a Google Drive cloud storage account serving the a malware downloader, which poses as a PDF but is in fact an executable file (SCR) associated with screensavers.

The infection chain is pretty intricate for a campaign of this kind and relies on multiple layers of obfuscation that are likely to fool multiple antivirus solutions.

Nick Biasini from Cisco’s TALOS security intelligence and research group analyzed the infection chain and said that a large number of the recipients were tricked and attempted to download the malware downloader from the compromised WordPress website.

Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Email-Delivers-Resume-and-CryptoWall-3-0-483481.shtml

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I have nightmares about Crypto Ransomware, I now have 3 external HDD's with all my stuff on, online really is a dangerous place to be, and as many have predicted is going to get a lot worse.

P.S. has anyone else tried CryptoMonitor, I have the Pro version and it looks very good?

Reactions: Blackhawk

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Email web based can handle those unsolicited / spam messages so you've already have a first line of defense, however still a risk for such user who want to check though.

Blackhawk

Level 3
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
Yeah this Crypto stuff is out of hand. I think we all know nothing tops safe surfing and using your head when receiving odd emails like the one above. A good backup plan is a must. Some programs that address Crypto...

CryptoPrevent, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, HitmanPro CryptoGuard, Bitdefender CryptoWall Vaccine, and CryptoMonitor. Any others?

Last edited:
Reactions: Moose

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Salutations,

With love to see tests with the different Prevent,Exploit, Monitor and Guard against the Crypto stuff! The outcome may surprise you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.