Battle Email Protection - Bitdefender Total Security vs Norton 360 Deluxe. Which is superior?

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
How about other attachments like pdf, word, excel etc files? Preview but not downloaded? Do they constitute as threats? I thought BDTS or Norton should scan during the preview stage and if deem a threat should remove the attachment from the email?
Your browser stands between the attachment and your system. The browser is also hardened (specially if you stay on top of the updates for it) and in addition, Bitdefender Active Threat Control (behavioural analysis) with its IDS will block suspicious actions by it. Chances of having an email sent that contains exploit and this exploit bypassing all layers of defence are very very narrow.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Your browser stands between the attachment and your system. The browser is also hardened (specially if you stay on top of the updates for it) and in addition, Bitdefender Active Threat Control (behavioural analysis) with its IDS will block suspicious actions by it. Chances of having an email sent that contains exploit and this exploit bypassing all layers of defence are very very narrow.

So you are saying I don't require Thunderbird for email protection?

Reactions: Trident

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
So you are saying I don't require Thunderbird for email protection?
No, the only thing you need to do is make sure your browser is constantly updated. Any attempts to exploit wholes in your browser (through email and websites) will be unsuccessful. Memory manipulations will be further monitored by Bitdefender and exploits are unlikely to be successful.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
No, the only thing you need to do is make sure your browser is constantly updated. Any attempts to exploit wholes in your browser (through email and websites) will be unsuccessful. Memory manipulations will be further monitored by Bitdefender and exploits are unlikely to be successful.

Can I ask whether you are using BDTS? I have one question below on BDTS. If you know the answer can you post over there? Thanks

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
They had 99.9% catch rate with 0 false positives for 22 consecutive years.

I am unable to verify both of these solutions performance or compare them
Maybe they are talking about VirusBulletin spam tests which seems to accurately represent this number.
It's a dedicated email security program, so of course not the same as home AV products.

• +Reputation
Reactions: Trident

Jengo

Level 6
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
@HarborFront i know you used Avast Premium before, in Premium there is Email Guardian, did you ever use this ?
You can protect every mail account available.

1684924747724.png

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Email Guardian flags emails from Microsoft as suspicious whilst leaving a solid dose of junk untouched. I am not sure that such component has any value.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I think email protection is not necessary if we use web based mail like gmail
Sorry but I don't use gmail
Gmail was just an example, it’s the same as using Outlook.com. Using a web-based email, like Gmail or Outlook, doesn’t require a separate AV module for scanning emails and attachments. Google Safe Browsing and Microsoft Defender SmartScreen will protect the users from unsafe attachments, before the download.

Off-topic — desktop email clients add an unnecessary risk.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I have hotmail and outlook web-based emails. Can advise which is superior in terms of protection for attachments and ease of use? Or do I need to use Thunderbird desktop email client?

For Summary

Norton: Email Antivirus Scan creates a gateway between incoming (usually IMAP) and outgoing (SMTP) mail servers. This prevents malicious items from downloading as they can be scanned before they install. Norton also offers an AntiSpam tool which integrates with Windows Mail and Microsoft Outlook. POP3 scanning is still supported, so this is a good option for email clients using legacy mail servers.

Bitdefender: Bitdefender places a strong emphasis on email security. It offers consumer products such as its Antispam filter as well as server-side tools like Bdconsole for the enterprise mail server. Emails are also scanned as part of Bitdefender’s real-time protection scanning mode, which blocks viruses based on suspicious patterns of behavior.

For Details

From Norton

From Bitdefender

Both Norton and Bitdefender are leading antivirus software in the market and offer a strong focus on email security. In terms of email attachment protection, both software offer similar features such as email scanning in real-time and integrating with popular email clients like Outlook.

However, Norton offers an additional AntiSpam tool that filters out unwanted emails and integrates with Windows Mail and Microsoft Outlook. Additionally, Norton supports legacy mail servers and POP3 scanning.

On the other hand, Bitdefender places a strong emphasis on email security and offers consumer products like Antispam filters and server-side tools like Bdconsole for enterprise mail servers. Bitdefender scans emails as part of its real-time protection scanning mode which blocks viruses based on suspicious patterns of behavior.

Overall, both software offer robust email protection, but Norton seems to offer a slight edge in terms of anti-spam features and support for legacy mail servers. As for using a desktop email client like Thunderbird, it is always recommended to use antivirus software regardless of the type of email client.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Both Norton and Bitdefender are leading antivirus software in the market and offer a strong focus on email security. In terms of email attachment protection, both software offer similar features such as email scanning in real-time and integrating with popular email clients like Outlook.

However, Norton offers an additional AntiSpam tool that filters out unwanted emails and integrates with Windows Mail and Microsoft Outlook. Additionally, Norton supports legacy mail servers and POP3 scanning.

On the other hand, Bitdefender places a strong emphasis on email security and offers consumer products like Antispam filters and server-side tools like Bdconsole for enterprise mail servers. Bitdefender scans emails as part of its real-time protection scanning mode which blocks viruses based on suspicious patterns of behavior.

Overall, both software offer robust email protection, but Norton seems to offer a slight edge in terms of anti-spam features and support for legacy mail servers. As for using a desktop email client like Thunderbird, it is always recommended to use antivirus software regardless of the type of email client.

Can comment on these 2 articles in removing threat found during scanning email? Which is better and easier in removing threat?

Reactions: Jonny Quest

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.