Advice Request Emsisoft and Windows Firewall: Your questions, answered

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Are you satisfied by the answers?

• Yes

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
From (very) humble beginnings in a Windows XP Service Pack update, the Windows Firewall has evolved into a capable security tool. Today, its performance is on par with – if not better than – any modern third-party desktop firewall on the market.

In light of this, and after a lot of careful consideration, the Emsisoft team made a very conscious decision to rely on the Windows Firewall moving forward, which ultimately led to us merging Emsisoft Internet Security with Emsisoft Anti-Malware. This will allow us to concentrate our efforts on building a bulletproof product while using our Behavior Blocker technology to further strengthen the already rock-solid Windows Firewall.

To put it simply, using Windows Firewall in conjunction with Emsisoft Anti-Malware will provide better protection for our users, and that is our number one objective above all else.

Since our announcement of the Emsisoft Internet Security and Emsisoft Anti-Malware merger, we have received a lot of positive feedback. However, we also got a lot of questions. We want to take the time to answer the most frequently asked questions in a bit more detail:

Read more here

All you need to know :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Its such a pity Emsisoft Internet Security will be no more in a few more days. After having tested different AV and security suites and braving myself in the malware vault for a brief period, EIS was everything I had been looking for and more. Before I tested EIS, I have what some would call layer protection ( pretty much different av and secuity installed on my PC ) and at one point I have 8 different secuity suites on my PC and while it had minimal performance hit, maintaining 8 different security program is quite a chore, Thats when EIS came into my PC, and it completely replaced all the security apps I had. It was magic, it was lovely, and I was fully protected when testing and analysing malware (i was only a helper, penguin did all the analysing) and I had found something that fits my needs perfectly and more.

TL ; DR - Emsisoft Internet Security, Truly a great security suite and I will miss it.

Edit : I will be salty with Emsisoft for a few days :p:giggle::ROFLMAO: until I accept EAM

2nd Edit: @Umbra Unfortunately I am not satisfied by the answers, its not easy letting go of EIS. If someone is not fond of EIS or EAM, its easy to move on to other security suites. Add umbra to "salt list".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I installed Binisoft WFC (not really needed it, but want to see how it is those days), and find it still good, even if i already blocked all outbound connections attempts on Windows FW, WFC allows me to create Allow rules on one click (instead of 20sec) and select on which profiles to put them. So i didn't see much differences with EIS in term of outbound control monitoring.

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I installed Binisoft WFC (not really needed it, but want to see how it is those days), and find it still good, even if i already blocked all outbound connections attempts on Windows FW, WFC allows me to create Allow rules on one click (instead of 20sec) and select on which profiles to put them. So i didn't see much differences with EIS in term of outbound control monitoring.

I do agree with you on WFC and other firewalls and that there aren't much differences. Its just the simplicity and unification of an all in one suite that is pleasing and user friendly.

You would have to excuse me, I understand that how I felt and written has been expressed by many on the emsisoft forums and other media sites by those who doesn't prefer the merge. I will continue to use EAM as you know Thank You for the 50% more licensing time.

I will continue being a loyal Emsisoft user and wish that they would extend their programs to Apple computers, the test results on Malware Vault and my own personal experience with it has made me a believer. With that said, its with EIS, EAM would have some big shoes to fill.

TL ; DR Umbra is still on Salt List :LOL: and not too excited testing EAM with TinyWall FW in a few days. Gonna bug @Parsh for some firewall recommendations, i know he "STILL" runs crazy amounts of layered protection.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
I actually understand that many third-party firewall are not really a thing, and Windows FW is good for most users. Personally, I prefer EAM, but in my point of view, Emsisoft is removing an important option from its customers and that is not a good strategy. Some may eventually migrate to other software vendors.

Thread author
I actually understand that many third-party firewall are not really a thing, and Windows FW is good for most users. Personally, I prefer EAM, but in my point of view, Emsisoft is removing an important option from its customers and that is not a good strategy. Some may eventually migrate to other software vendors.

Most of Emsisoft's customers barely know what a firewall is or that Windows has a firewall.

The stuff that is said on these forums is paranoid and geek opinions.

From what I understand, EAM sales were always the vast majority of Emsisoft's sales; EIS sales comprised only a small percentage of Emsisoft's overall sales.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
Most of Emsisoft's customers barely know what a firewall is or that Windows has a firewall.
On a side note, most people that I know never heard about Emsisoft. Since I joined MT, I noticed that Emsisoft is highly regarded here, so I imagined (not a fact, just my impression) that Emsisoft was mostly for geeks.

Thread author
On a side note, most people that I know never heard about Emsisoft. Since I joined MT, I noticed that Emsisoft is highly regarded here, so I imagined (not a fact, just my impression) that Emsisoft was mostly for geeks.

You can ask @Umbra to confirm, but I am pretty sure the average Emsisoft paying customer is age 50 or older - not exactly security geeks - more or less people that think what they are going to eat for supper is more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.