Battle Emsisoft Anti-Malware 12 or G DATA Antivirus 2017?

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Here's an MT thread (with video review) by the awesome reviewer @safe1st for 'Emsisoft VS Gdata'.
Of course you should take it with a pinch of salt as they say. But if you want a balanced review, the thread will help.

I'll just add a point - I've read on multiple forums that GData scans are quite slow.
* Not to forget that both sport a Bitdefender engine.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Ransomware Protection has been available for some time now, initially as standalone beta builds, but now are included in most Antivirus or Internet Security packages 2016/17.

To recover from a Ransomware attack is to have System and Data backups on-hand, don't rely on your Antivirus to protect you if you run suspicious executable, without checking it's authenticity.

@nsm0220 uses G DATA, but haven't seen him online in a long time.

Last edited:
M

MalwareBlockerYT

I would highly recommend Emsisoft over Gdata any day of the week & that's never going to change unless Gdata suddenly manages to overtake Emsisoft in all aspects of the AV. Emsisoft has a nicer GUI, is faster, has one of the best if not the best Behaviour Blocker. It also has extremely good signatures, the company are full of amazing trustworthy & good people & the protection components all work well - the Behaviour Blocker, Surf Protection, Firewall, File Guard are all fantastic.

Honestly in my opinion the top 5 AVs are:

1) Emsisoft
2) Bitdefender
3) Kaspersky
4) ESET
5) MalwareBytes V3 - this may surprise you but I have tested it several times & every time it amazes me how good the protection is.
5) There are also a few other AVs that could get space No. 5 though...

I wouldn't personally recommend Gdata when you can get all of these other AVs which I would consider as "better" overall applications for several reasons.

Anyone can verify this through their own testing - GData's behavior blocker will block some ransomware and Emsisoft's will block most ransomware.

For a single example, GData's behavior blocker will not stop encryption by an undetected Cerber ransomware. Emsisoft blocks Cerber.

It seems GData's primary ransomware protection is their newly integrated back-up storage.

Those are my observations and my comments are not an endorsement or criticism of any product. They are just matter-of-fact statements.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Both products have very good detection capabilities including BB component.

However everything goes on the stability and performance wise on a system where Emsisoft is lighter than Gdata.

Gdata needs to trim down the resource usage issue even though the engines incorporated is not hunger.

giants8058

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2016
Emsisoft for me. Lighter, better behavior blocker, great support and privacy stance..As for Ransomware, Emsisoft..Ransomware was named after their CTO/researcher Fabian Wosar (Fabiansomware) out of spite because he is consistently cracking their encryption.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Great products.The two offer excellent protection. If GDATA was as light as Emsisoft, perhaps i would have preferred it over Emsisoft.
Emsisoft has a formidable BB, light, not expensive and one of the best customer care you can get among all other brands. The only thing that i don't like with Emsisoft is the amount of bugs with every major updates. Sometimes they are brutal. Perhaps its linked to their perfectionist and fast paced way of working. Anyway, for this round i would choose Emsisoft, but GDATA is as good as Emsisoft in terms of protection i think.;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.