Battle Emsisoft Anti-Malware 12 OR Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium?

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Hi, i want to know what you would choose between those two products in terms of protection only. I think these two are great products, which are different in their approach with dealing with malwares and other nasty stuffs.

Emsisoft Anti-malware is more traditional with a Dual signature engine,and behavioural detection(trained also to stop Ransomwares) and web protection.

Malwarebytes 3.0 focuses more on Pro-active protection(behavioural protection), system and app hardening(exploit protection),has web and ransomware protection also, and focuses less on signatures compared to Emsisoft.

So, what would you choose between those two products to protect your system(without combining them).
As examples:
Why you think one approach is better than the other and vice/versa?
Perhaps due to how you use your PC, why you would prefer one product on the other.
How one product or the other could offer better protection, depending on your personal opinion?

Please, no product bashing ;)

Thanks.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
They are designed to deal with all kinds of threats. Their methods are different.
Like for example, cloud antiviruses or security softwares use the cloud more than other products(who still use cloud tech but not to the same extent), but the goal is still to protect against all internet threats. Different products, methods, but same goals.:)

Go on Emsisoft and/or Malwarebytes Forums and ask them if the competitor product is the same kind of product as their. Maybe you'll understand if they tell you directly.

You cannot compare Antivirus and Antimalware side to side, simple as that.

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
The fact that Emsisoft uses the term "anti-malware" correctly and Malwarebytes did not in the past, answers the question in which company to put your faith. Another term Malwarebytes doesn't seem to understand is "next-generation". Apparently next-generation means you put together three products: one that's alright but slightly behind the competition, one that's years behind the competition and, finally, one that doesn't work at all.

And since Malwarebytes say their product is now not only a replacement for existing solutions but also superior, hence "next-generation", it is more than fair to compare them.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
So basically you choose to compare the products based on how they are advertised, rather than compare on how they work and what they do. Some people should look up how Antivirus and Antimalware products works more before posting I guess.

Not going to waste time arguing on this any longer.

Reactions: ant_gamal

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
So basically you choose to compare the products based on how they are advertised, rather than compare on how they work and what they do. Some people should look up how Antivirus and Antimalware products works more before posting I guess.

Not going to waste time arguing on this any longer.

If the comparison annoys you, you can post your extensive analysis and your certified professional testing methods, for us all to see ;)
Everyone commenting on that post till now have understood the meaning, except @Aura only.
@FleischmannTV, summarised it all, so well.
If the way the products are advertised does not please you, then, go and pick a fight with Emsisoft or Malwarebytes. I'm not a qualified expert or have a laboratory to tell Malwarebytes and Emsisoft how there product work. So it is logical to base a post on how they advertise their products.These two fit well for a comparison. So each comment with it's personal experience about the two products.
Some prefer Emsisoft others Malwarebytes, i'm fine with that, giving us a little insight about the feelings of people and their preferences. :)

Last edited:

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
This isn't even a competition. I rather pick the stable product(Emsisoft) over the beta(Malwarebytes 3.0)

Emsisoft has spent years fine-tuning their product. While Malwarebytes hasn't had the time do that yet.
I understand your point.:) Malwarebytes 3.0 is new and need more time for fine tuning their product. Perhaps the reason why many are complaining about its resource usage issues. On the other side Emsisoft has been extensively tested and fine tuned. It also has a good amount of very good results in independent test such as AVTEST.org.

But there is something very interesting with Malwarebytes 3.0. The fact that it is a bit of an ''hybrid'' product, it is very difficult to test. There is a good explanation on that in that article of PC Mag:

Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium

Malwarebytes also advises how Malwarebytes 3.0 should be tested for its anti-exploit capabilities:

https://malwarebytes.app.box.com/s/ct1xck9f7hphaeuj9nbhq9xxt4ayd6tk

ng4ever

Level 16
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
I have one question does Emsisoft Anti-Malware have a lifetime license ? I am guessing no :(

What the biggest difference between Emsisoft Anti-Malware free and paid please ?

Reactions: Svoll

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
So basically you choose to compare the products based on how they are advertised, rather than compare on how they work and what they do.

I compared them by how they are advertised, by how they work and how that advertising is disingenuous in regards as to how Malwarebytes works. Emsisoft works, Malwarebytes doesn't, whereas Malwarebytes advertise their product as superior next-generation even though the hastily scrambled together combination of defunct tools is still years behind what Emsisoft did years ago.

Some people should look up how Antivirus and Antimalware products works more before posting I guess

Maybe some people should look up how these products really work instead of reiterating the company's marketing statements.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
You test products regularly,i'm sure ypu know what you are talking about;)

Problem is, I see many programs score well one time, and not so great another... especially with zero day malwares.

Avast is king, then its not.
Avira blocked it ALL, then another time, it let 3 infections pass.
AVG fails, then better then even Avast at zero day.

Etc... I just pick what works the smoothest on the PC now.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Problem is, I see many programs score well one time, and not so great another... especially with zero day malwares.

This is a very good point but a lot of the major AVs do well in most of the tests - yes they fail/fall occasionally but when I do tests they mostly get about the same result. It really depends on how many people use False Positives in their tests - I am now verifying all of the malware & have been for a few videos - this means that only malware will be in the samples folder. False Positives really mess up the detection rate in a test so you've got to make sure that there are none!

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
The fact is that an antivirus program should ideally (as the name says) protect your computer from viruses, but viruses are just one of the many categories of malware.
But in reality, the most common antivirus programs now protect against viruses and also, more generally, against other types of malware.

So why are they called antivirus?

The reason is business, of course.
Everyone has heard of viruses, and many average users think that all the computer's infections are caused only by viruses, because they don't know the more correct term "malware", and then they don't know that viruses are just one category of malware. Accordingly, when the average user looks for a program to protect the computer, he wants typically an antivirus program.

The term antivirus then has more business power of the term antimalware and for this, security vendors prefer to continue to define their products as antivirus, even if they should be more correctly defined as antimalware.

Now, considering that Malwarebytes 3.0 is an "all-in-one" product like Emsisoft, then a comparison is reasonable in my opinion.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014

Kinda ecclectic and most practical, approach! ;)

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
The fact is that an antivirus program should ideally (as the name says) protect your computer from viruses, but viruses are just one of the many categories of malware.
But in reality, the most common antivirus programs now protect against viruses and also, more generally, against other types of malware.

So why are they called antivirus?

The reason is business, of course.
Everyone has heard of viruses, and many average users think that all the computer's infections are caused only by viruses, because they don't know the more correct term "malware", and then they don't know that viruses are just one category of malware. Accordingly, when the average user looks for a program to protect the computer, he wants typically an antivirus program.

The term antivirus then has more business power of the term antimalware and for this, security vendors prefer to continue to define their products as antivirus, even if they should be more correctly defined as antimalware.

Now, considering that Malwarebytes 3.0 is an "all-in-one" product like Emsisoft, then a comparison is reasonable in my opinion.

Very nice point of view on the use of the ''Antivirus'' and ''Anti-malware'' label to define a product.:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.