Status
Not open for further replies.

MTUser

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Sep 11, 2014
Hi all!

What do you think I should use as a second opinion scanner?

Until now I use ESET + MBAM. I never used EMSISOFT but I always hear good things about it :p

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Why not both using MBAM and Emsisoft Emergency Kit? On demand scanners should help you to track down potential infections as possible with various tools available.

Emsisoft AM is a full blown AV but it can be experimental on other security products as combination just use at your own risk as possible.

Reactions: Venustus and MTUser

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
I dont think is necessary to use Mbam(real time) with Eset.Eset has the best signatures for malware and PUP detection so there is not so much left for Mbam to detect.
Mbam would be better to be used as second opinion scanner (on demand, no real time).
If you like to use Emsisoft as second opinion scanner then you need to use ''Emsisoft Emergency kit''.
Using Emsisoft antimalware with Eset for real time, will cause system slow down and conflicts.

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

EAM free just over-complicates things unnecessarily as a second opinion scanner.

EEK will be better - uses less resources, install/uninstall shouldn't cause issues, portable, same signatures as EAM free, clean-up is same as EAM free, overall less hassle.

ESET + MBAM is very good combo when used together.

Reach for another on-demand scanner only when you suspect infection or just to spot-check here and there.

Keep things simple.

MTUser

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Sep 11, 2014
I dont think is necessary to use Mbam(real time) with Eset.Eset has the best signatures for malware and PUP detection so there is not so much left for Mbam to detect.
Mbam would be better to be used as second opinion scanner (on demand, no real time).
If you like to use Emsisoft as second opinion scanner then you need to use ''Emsisoft Emergency kit''.
Using Emsisoft antimalware with Eset for real time, will cause system slow down and conflicts.

I said ESET+MBAM but I only use MBAM free without any real time protection. I only use his on demand scanner for a second opinion :)

Thank you guys I will look for the Emsisoft emergency kit (didn't know about that product) :)

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I didn't know there was a Emsisoft Anti-Malware Free edition? What does it do? Does it have AV capabilities? Can't really find much online.

D

Deleted member 21043

Why not both using MBAM and Emsisoft Emergency Kit?
I like this suggestion very much.

Maybe not "better", but I'd recommend using it on-demand also.

Potentially. Different outcome all the time for everyone.

D

Deleted member 21043

I didn't know there was a Emsisoft Anti-Malware Free edition? What does it do? Does it have AV capabilities? Can't really find much online.
There isn't one. You can get a trial of EAM (up-to 30 days) and there is the free on-demand scanner, though (EEK).

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015

I'd assume this is it. I've never heard of it myself. Looks like the "free" is just a trial. Apparently used to compliment your already installed AV. It's dated recently (6 days ago) but I haven't seen anything about this on Emsisoft's site.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/emsisoft_anti_malware_free_edition.html

Edit: Oh and I picked MBAM. Emsisoft Emergency Kit will detect more since it is using full on AV signatures from two engines though. I pick MBAM not only because I've used it longer, but because it's way smaller than EEK. It also has resistance against malware that tries to stop it, EEK doesn't.

Last edited:

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
There isn't one. You can get a trial of EAM (up-to 30 days) and there is the free on-demand scanner, though (EEK).

Yeah thats what I thought too but you guys have 2 poll options for EEK and EAM free?

I'd assume this is it. I've never heard of it myself. Looks like the "free" is just a trial. Apparently used to compliment your already installed AV. It's dated recently (6 days ago) but I haven't seen anything about this on Emsisoft's site.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/emsisoft_anti_malware_free_edition.html

Yeah I saw that too but it seems suspicious. I think the programme itself is called a2? Seems like just a scanner to me.

Reactions: OokamiCreed

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Yeah thats what I thought too but you guys have 2 poll options for EEK and EAM free?

Yeah I saw that too but it seems suspicious. I think the programme itself is called a2? Seems like just a scanner to me.

Agreed it does seem suspicious to some degree. a2 I think was a tool by Emsisoft for scanning purposes only. Think it was included with it's older EEK. I could be wrong. I've seen a2 before though. I'm sure someone here has way more information that I do on it.

Reactions: Atlas147

MTUser

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Sep 11, 2014
I added that option to the poll because I thought there was a free version like MBAM free

"Isn't Emsisoft Anti-Malware freeware?
Yes and no. By default Emsisoft Anti-Malware installs as a free fully functional 30 day trial version. After the trial period you can either choose to buy a full version license or switch to the limited freeware mode. The freeware mode still allows you to scan and clean infections, but it doesn't provide any real-time protection to guard against new infections. It's useful as a second opinion scanner but you should NEVER rely on the freeware mode as long term protection for your PC. Without suitable real-time protection, your PC is at risk of becoming infected very quickly."

Emsisoft FAQ

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I treat MBAM as its own thing since it doesn't really compete with anyone else. It catches more unwanted software than anything else in my experience (should be Anti-PUP heh).

I've never used Emsisoft products, so I can't comment.

I could suggest SecureAPlus for the free year (or 18 mos. at a giveaway site): TEN engines for your fix of false positives! :D

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
With free on-demand scanners, you don't really have to choose.

MBAM generally has it's own detection subset, so I treat that as its own thing not to be compared with everything else. I think that gap is narrowing the more these companies see that customers treat PUPs as malware no less. EEK seems like it is closing that gap, so interesting choices you made.

JD15

Level 1
Verified
Jul 12, 2015
I use both! Emsisoft's detection is slightly better yet their update is huge. Malwarebytes finds what Emsisoft may miss. Malwarebytes update is faster and detection clean up is much better. I would recommend using both scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.