Emsisoft Anti Malware + HitmanPro.Alert - Is this a good combo?

Discussion in 'HitmanPro (Sophos)' started by jrw666, Sep 8, 2017.

1. jrw666

jrw666 Level 1

Oct 24, 2016
    UK
    #1 jrw666, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2017
    I'm using Emsisoft AM. Is it worth installing HitmanPro.Alert as well?

shmu26, shukla44 and daljeet like this.
  2. Bleak

Bleak Level 2

Sep 5, 2017
    ::1
    Yes I think it's a good addition to your security, and covers other stuff that Emsisoft might miss.

Sunshine-boy, daljeet and jrw666 like this.
  3. RoboMan

RoboMan Level 17
    Content Creator

Jun 24, 2016
    USA
    Windows 10
    ESET
    From my point of view, Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a solid piece of software. I'd pair it up with VoodooShield and that would be it. I'm not a big fan of Hitman's products, but as far as i've seen there's not much .Alert can offer that Emsisoft does not. Maybe keystroke encryption...

4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome Level 19

May 7, 2016
    Student
    India
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    #4 Captain Awesome, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    EAM is a good protection and if you pair it up with Hitman Alert you can do that.I like to pair it with zemana antimalware.

shukla44, daljeet, davisd and 3 others like this.
  5. frogboy

frogboy Level 61
    Trusted

Jun 9, 2013
    Heavy Duty Mechanic.
    Western Australia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    EAM is good by itself but you could pair it with either VoodooShield or Zemana Antimalware both would be a good companion to have. :)

6. jrw666

jrw666 Level 1

Oct 24, 2016
    UK
    Thanks all. I did have Zemana installed, but read here that it has gone downhill recently and is not as good as it was? Also tried Voodooshield but kept forgetting to select install mode, got annoyed with it so uninstalled.

7. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome Level 19

May 7, 2016
    Student
    India
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Every security software has this problem as long as u pair it with EAM.It is efficient.

8. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Level 7
    Trusted

Jun 12, 2014
    Windows 10
    HitmanPro.Alert is a very conflict prone program, as it is not called "Alert" for no reason. Its main benefit is exploit protection, the necessity of which is highly questionable in my opinion. Just use Windows 10 with a modern browser like Edge or Chrome and keep everything updated, because nobody is going to waist a 0-day on you.

Dave Russo, shukla44, shmu26 and 6 others like this.
  9. terene

terene Level 9

Aug 10, 2012
    Romania
    Windows 7
    ESET
    If I want to pair EAM will be like this:
    EAM+AV+VD+ my brain(75% of this combo)
    My actual combo is EIS+VD+VPN normal internet navigation ---> +ZAM+Sandboxie+VD ( only when I do some "dangerous" research)
    And for protection like webcam, microphone... the best is protection is to be covered by a piece of tape :))

shukla44 and daljeet like this.
  10. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Yes, EAM is an anti-malware with exploit mitigation while HMPA is an anti-exploit, so both are recommended.

11. cutting_edgetech

Feb 14, 2013
    IT Security
    ESET
    Did Emsisoft add Exploit mitigation for fileless malware in memory? I haven't read anything about it.

shukla44, daljeet and frogboy like this.
  12. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    I know EAM scan the memory but i'm not sure about specifically mitigate fileless malware, i will ask to the dev lab.
    However, the BB will prevent code injection.
    Note that Fileless malware are quite rare and must be delivered/dropped (email, exe, etc...) in some ways first before being fileless , they don't popup on the system by magic, and those vectors are normally monitored by EAM.

shukla44 and Sunshine-boy like this.
  13. Lockdown

Lockdown From AppGuard
    Developer

Oct 24, 2016
    AppGuard LLC Virginia, U.S.
    Fabian stated it was being refined all the way back in 2014.

plat1098 and Sunshine-boy like this.
  14. Lockdown

Lockdown From AppGuard
    Developer

Oct 24, 2016
    Exploits of unpatched softs too. I doubt the method of entry onto the system would be the difference between thwarting or not thwarting file-less\in-memory-only attacks, but it would be prudent to ask for confirmation.

15. cutting_edgetech

Feb 14, 2013
    IT Security
    ESET
    Ok, Thanks. Let me know what you find out.
    Fileless malware is rapidly growing in popularity. It want be long before it is not that uncommon.

shukla44 likes this.
  16. cutting_edgetech

Feb 14, 2013
    IT Security
    ESET
    I thought I read something about Emsisoft changing their mind about adding exploit mitigation to EAM. I was thinking they considered it for a brief period, and didn't see the value in adding it. Don't quote me though, this was about 2 years ago.

17. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    @cutting_edgetech i was made aware by the dev team that EAM has mitigations mechanism against fileless malware but i don't have enough details yet. Stay tuned :)

18. cutting_edgetech

Feb 14, 2013
    IT Security
    ESET
    Thank you! I'm sure they want give out too much detail, but knowing what method they use is what I was wanting to know. For Example: certain modules in their BB may mitigate exploits at a later stage. It may not mitigate exploits as early in delivery as MBAE, or HMPA, but it still could minimize any damage caused. I'm just throwing that out there as a hypothetical. If they do use mitigation methods in memory then that would be nice to know.

19. Lockdown

Lockdown From AppGuard
    Developer

Oct 24, 2016
    A user needs to find out what the terminology means and in what context it is being used.

Just ask @Umbra and he will obtain the infos.

plat1098 likes this.
  20. cutting_edgetech

Feb 14, 2013
    IT Security
    ESET
    Well, I have not been provided with Emsisoft's answer yet. I can ask that if their answer is vague, or not clear.