Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Emsisoft Anti-Malware & Emsisoft Internet Security 9.0.0.4799 released. This is maintenance release for improved usability, speed, detection and stability.
  • Improved GUI loading speed for other than en-us languages.
  • Improved license renewal behavior.
  • Improved functionality for all grid columns (auto-width, sorting).
  • Improved Behavior Blocker logging for application rules.
  • Improved behavior for Alert windows: no focused default button to avoid accidental confirmations.
  • Improved functionality for the Quarantine submission form (added ‘Back’ button’).
  • Improved column header sort indicators for all grids.
  • Improved functionality for detections from scan results: manual addition to the white list as ‘file’.
  • Improved “Add file” button on quarantine page now allows to add multiple files.
  • Improved stability and GUI enhancements.
  • Fixed a possible memory corruption.
  • Fixed an issue causing an ‘SQLLite 5′ error.
  • Fixed an issue with multiple confirmations in the factory defaults feature.
Emsisoft Internet Security:
additionally :
  • Improved Installer checks on required Microsoft patches and existence of Virtual Box.
  • Improved Firewall logging for application rules.
  • Improved Firewall application rule’s additions. (automatic).
  • Improved Firewall performance and stability.
  • Fixed a network blocking issue during raised Firewall Alert.
  • Fixed an issue where addition of a CIDR network rule caused a lockup.
  • Fixed a network shares being blocked issue.
Source

Emsisoft Internet Security 9.0.0.4799 hotfix update.
  • Fixed a possible BSOD when parsing IPv6 packets
Source

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Please be aware of the following with the release of this version:

Some have been experiencing the following issues after installing this latest update
  • BSOD's
  • Firewall not activated and no way to activate it.Reinstall fixes this problem but then the BSOD becomes a problem
  • This is related to TCP/(IPv6)
  • Also on installation it now shows incompatibilities with Oracle VirtualBox if you have it installed.You can uninstall Oracle VirtualBox or continue with the installation of EIS.I have not had any system incompatibilities with VB and EIS however remember if you uninstall VB you have to remove the VirtualBox Bridged Networking driver with a command prompt as admin sc delete VBoxNetFlt as it is not removed on uninstall

There is a Microsoft HotFix for this problem

HotFix for Microsoft Windows (KB2958399)

Here is the link to the HotFix: http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windo...2/Fix499765/7600/free/474557_intl_x64_zip.exe

Here is the zip file link https://www.mediafire.com/?6a77aj03dj4o9dc

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Update: Unfortunately it seems that version 9.0.0.4799 is another bad update from Emsisoft.Here is what I experienced:
  • After updating to the latest version I got constant BSOD's without the HotFix installed on restart and in Safe Mode with Networking
  • Booting into safe mode allowed me to uninstall EIS and then restart to uninstall the hotfix
  • After the HotFix restart I reinstalled EIS 9.0.0.4799 and was warned about Oracle VB causing system instability with EIS 9.I ignored and reinstalled EIS 9
  • Did another restart and immediate BSOD.Booted into Safe Mode without networking and uninstalled EIS 9.After restart everything was fine.
  • I uninstalled Oracle VB(which I have only had to do once with OA) and ran the command prompt as admin to delete Bridged Network driver
  • I reinstalled EIS 9 and after another restart everything is now stable

Unfortunately Oracle wont fix the problem on their end per Emsisoft however no other Security Suite has caused an issue such as this as it does with EIS 9.I like EIS and can use another virtualization software but there were no problems prior to this update such as I have just explained.The only time I ever had a BSOD with EIS was with one Beta 9 update.As for the OA & Oracle VB compatibility,Emsisoft would not allow the installation until VB and the Bridged Networking driver was removed.

Reactions: Azure and FlimFlam

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
@exterminator20 , problem is only for EIS users, am I right? I have no issue with EAM, and I haven't got VB installed.
Yes it appears to be Firewall related and one big pain.I almost dumped it for KIS or ESS.Thing is I have no problems whatsoever on Windows 8.1 however I do not have Oracle VB installed on that Laptop.
It seems to me that after the Update the Firewall not activating and then a BSOD was one problem that was fixed by the HotFix however then the Oracle VB problem reared its ugly head.
If you had a problem with the firewall not activating followed by a BSOD then the HotFix took care of that.However since I have never had a conflict with EIS 9 post Beta I tried the installation without removing Oracle VB
That however resulted in a BSOD on restart and uninstalling VB and its associated Bridged Networking driver via command prompt

I still had download beta updates ticked in EIS and had a BSOD a while back which was solved by unticking the beta updates.Problem also is Emsisoft will not allow you to use a previous version and still update the database

Reactions: yigido
Y

yigido

Yes it appears to be Firewall related and one big pain.I almost dumped it for KIS or ESS.Thing is I have no problems whatsoever on Windows 8.1 however I do not have Oracle VB installed on that Laptop.
It seems to me that after the Update the Firewall not activating and then a BSOD was one problem that was fixed by the HotFix however then the Oracle VB problem reared its ugly head.
If you had a problem with the firewall not activating followed by a BSOD then the HotFix took care of that.However since I have never had a conflict with EIS 9 post Beta I tried the installation without removing Oracle VB
That however resulted in a BSOD on restart and uninstalling VB and its associated Bridged Networking driver via command prompt

I still had download beta updates ticked in EIS and had a BSOD a while back which was solved by unticking the beta updates.Problem also is Emsisoft will not allow you to use a previous version and still update the database
Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, it looks problem came from firewall component.
I am sorry for your headache @exterminator20

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
This is not the first time that OA and VB get into conflict, few VB versions ago had the same problem with Bridged Networking Driver, had to wait for someone to sort their program and then it worked.

FlimFlam

Level 1
Verified
Jul 18, 2014
Same problem here also. Emsisoft is going to issue a warning during the install but I don't think it's been issued as of yet.At least that's what they told me in an email. The hot fix didn't help any at all for me. I had some time left on Emsi's Anti-malware so I re-installed it.From what I understand it affects windows 7 systems.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Same problem here also. Emsisoft is going to issue a warning during the install but I don't think it's been issued as of yet.At least that's what they told me in an email. The hot fix didn't help any at all for me. I had some time left on Emsi's Anti-malware so I re-installed it.From what I understand it affects windows 7 systems.
Yes I have no problems with it on Windows 8.1. My problems are on Windows 7.Thing is until this update I had no HotFix installed and had Oracle VB installed also and everything was fine.They have issued the warnings during install but I am thinking instead of a warning telling you to uninstall a program so their program works they should be working on an update to fix the situation.I wonder if they issue the warning on purchase?

Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, it looks problem came from firewall component.
I am sorry for your headache @exterminator20
Well in the meantime I rolled back to before I uninstalled VB and installed ESS 8.I like Oracle VB and have my Windows 10 tech preview on it and don't feel as though i should uninstall that because another program has conflicts with it.I installed ESS 8 for the time being on Windows 7 and will see what happens with this.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlimFlam and yigido
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.