Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Emsisoft Anti-Malware & Emsisoft Internet Security 9.0.0.5066 released. This is a maintenance release for improved usability, speed, detection and stability.

Note: Update to 9.0.0.5066 requires a computer reboot.
  • Improved: Occasional crash or guards not loading.
  • Improved: Occasional delays during system boot.
  • Fixed: Settings button on malware alert notification.
  • Fixed: Out of resources error.
Source

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
yea they are really improve it!
ram usage on my system : 85-137mg(from 200mg)
boot time increaced from 2 min to 1:24 !
Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Reactions: Petrovic

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
yea they are really improve it!
ram usage on my system : 85-137mg(from 200mg)
boot time increaced from 2 min to 1:24 !
Untitled.png

Untitled.png
you are using EIS no? well this decrease have always been there, but when you do "something" it will bounce back to 200 MB ... can you confirm?

Reactions: omidomi and viktik

Alexstrasza

Level 4
Verified
Mar 18, 2015
Well obviously the resource consumption will go up when you update or perform a scan so things will complete faster... when stuff are finished it'll go back to being almost undetectable in the background.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Well obviously the resource consumption will go up when you update or perform a scan so things will complete faster... when stuff are finished it'll go back to being almost undetectable in the background.
not the case for EIS when idle you may find it is eating 80-100 mb but when doing something silly like plug in up a pendrive, ram will jump to 200 or even more, this was the case when i tested EIS less than a month ago

as for EAM indeed the memory opt. just works the way it has to...

fada

Level 1
Verified
Sep 22, 2014
...Waoo good to hear that, i hope to get on it soon, b'cos the resource consumption issue has been on my neck as well as the occasional crash..CAN'T WAIT TO GRAB IT..

Reactions: omidomi

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
you are using EIS no? well this decrease have always been there, but when you do "something" it will bounce back to 200 MB ... can you confirm?
yea i use EIS!
in last at least 170 and 220 mg
now 85-134 mg
i start scan ye it will go over 148-180
in scan(quick scan) cpu usage 5%-8%
0.png

Do you guys have "Activate memory usage optimization" enabled?
:)
Untitled.png

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
I use Win8.1 64 Bit

Alexstrasza

Level 4
Verified
Mar 18, 2015
Using the memory usage optimization option can cause some performance issues... so if you have any while using EAM/EIS, turn it off.

Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
If you are concerned about the RAM usage, enable memory optimization. That way RAM usage will be minimal, but EAM will have to access the disk during real-time scans, which will cause slow downs.

Most of the AVs today try to cheat to keep the memory they use from showing up in the Task Manager, because most users have an unhealthy obsession with those numbers. Rule of thumb: If your AV has 100+ MB of signature data, but lists significantly less in your Task Manager, it hides those signatures somewhere. Best case: They are kept in memory, but are stored in memory areas that don't show up in Task Manager (kernel memory). Worst case: They are swapped out to disk somewhere and scans will trigger disk accesses, that will severely hurt your performance.

In general I will never understand people who try to use as little of their 8 GB of RAM as possible. Why did they buy 8 GB if they don't want to use it? I have 16 GB and I want Windows and EAM to use as much of it as possible to speed up my normal workflow. Quite frankly I would be pissed if either of them would limit their memory usage someway, especially if by doing so they actually hurt my system's performance.
Source

Reactions: amz and kiric96

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
120% agree with you, at least on my end i have a 2gb pc and it is vital for me to save ram as possible... as for example we have chrome that for a facebook page will eat until 300mb... if you open word is even worse... i was a bitdefender user by i left it because when updating it will freeze my pc... i understand that replacing vurus database will do that but at least on eam i dont have such problem... am running in a low end pc but even on scan the performance will not be that slow... as for EIS the firewall module is causing the big ram usage.. as in eam we dont have that problem... but only when updating... i like products like eset which can load their entire database in ram without making an agressive usage...

Reactions: omidomi

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Hi I am using anti-malware 10 trial and it uses 62 megs ram with firefox open 0% cpu.Very light, I too would like 180 days pls if anyone has .Thks

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.