Q&A Emsisoft in 2020 - Is it worth buying?

SeriousHoax

Level 35
Verified
Mar 16, 2019
I had got the impression, that Emsisofts behavior blocker was among the best. Nortons Sonar, Kasperskys system watcher is maybe better, but poor? Some places it's toted as one of the best BB around. But peoples opinions vary. It will probably always be that way. :unsure::)
It has a very good BB, but it's very sensitive and highly cloud whitelist dependent. Many things that are not digitally signed triggers its BB, also updates of some signed application occasionally. It even detects uninstaller files of apps often. So it's a must to try Emsisoft before making the decision to purchase. It was very annoying for me to use, so I had to give up.
But as many said above, they offer excellent support and respects the user's privacy. They are probably the best in the industry in these two departments. The protection is also very good.

mlnevese

Level 23
Verified
May 3, 2015
I had got the impression, that Emsisofts behavior blocker was among the best. Nortons Sonar, Kasperskys system watcher is maybe better, but poor? Some places it's toted as one of the best BB around. But peoples opinions vary. It will probably always be that way. :unsure::)

It's one of the best but it relies too much on user input and that is always a risk if the user does not know enough to be able to decide. There is a reason the major brands are going the full automation route.

Last edited:

gery79

Level 9
Verified
Jun 21, 2011
it offers good protection but it is stripped down to only malware . it is a small company so they are focused on not big things maybe due to lack of staff. It is not so expensive. i have used it for a couple of years and it was ok. BB is fine not superb though well if you want a simple set up yes it is worth. if you are a safety freak that is not enough.

Minimalist

Level 6
Oct 2, 2020
No way!!!!!! They used to be kings in behavior blocking when they were selling the behavior blocker separate from their firewall what was it called? Mamutu? Or something like that. Then they integrate it into a suite but damn mamutu used to be the bee's knees in terms of behaviour blocking.
They still have IMO one of the best behavior blockers on market.
IMO words form @marcopaone are not understood correctly. IMO he meant to say it's just a behavior blocker and nothing else. But I may be wrong.

show-Zi

Level 29
Verified
Jan 28, 2018
I just felt it yesterday when I renewed my license, so I don't have a clear picture of it yet. Let me explain briefly.
You will not be asked to enter your license key. That's what puzzled me at first. Currently, emisi is designed to manage configurations, including licenses, in the cloud. There is a dedicated .exe to communicate with the cloud. If you block that with fw, you can't validate even if you have a valid license, so emisi only works as an evaluation. btw, I didn't realize this for a while until I approved it.:sleep:

Minimalist

Level 6
Oct 2, 2020
I've had similar problem when trying to activate it and request always timed out (it did download an install though).
Then I logged in my emsisoft account and downloaded custom exe and that way I got it activated. Don't know what was a problem with regular installer since I didn't block it in FW (I allow outbound connections).

mkoundo

Level 5
Verified
Jul 21, 2017
Also worth noting that if you use a standard user account the "Change License" button is greyed out. Remember to log into an admin account to renew your license. :geek::geek:

thanks again to MalwareTips for the licence giveaway (y)(y)

Untitled.png

Digmor Crusher

Level 10
Verified
Jan 27, 2018
I had trouble with their cloud console as well, in the end its why I stopped using Emsi. What happened to getting a license by email and then entering it in the gui, why does it have to be over-complicated?? I have one account, I don't need no dam cloud console.

show-Zi

Level 29
Verified
Jan 28, 2018
I had trouble with their cloud console as well, in the end its why I stopped using Emsi. What happened to getting a license by email and then entering it in the gui, why does it have to be over-complicated?? I have one account, I don't need no dam cloud console.
I browsed the official support forum.
I think WMISI should have allowed plenty of time for the transition to get used to the new method. It seems to me that the workstations are being introduced too hastily and confusing the users.

I think the simplicity of the setup is one of the advantages of EMISI, but this change in account handling seems to be an arcane maze at the moment. I feel uncomfortable about it.

Zartarra

Level 3
Malware Tester
May 9, 2019
I installed it today on a VM. I run some malwares samples against it to test it. The detection is great and the behavior blocker is good. It even blocked my tests scripts. The only downside is their web protection especially phishing pages. But you can always use a browser extension from an other company to close that gap. It contains not a lot of features compared to other AVs but that is not necessary to protect the system.