Q&A Emsisoft in 2020 - Is it worth buying?

harlan4096

Verified
Staff member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Looks like a great deal (y). How good is Emsisoft behavior blocker? Anyone tested that?

Yanick

Level 1
Jun 14, 2021
Price for Emsisoft went up in my region from 19,99€ to 29,99€ for one license for one pc which i think it bit much tbh.

And addon comment for comodo firewall compatibility, i had chats with Emsisoft support about that because i had the infamous 1,5gb ram usage in Emsisoft. They said in support that comodo firewall (CIS) still loads several components of their AV even if you haven't installed it with the CIS package, they suggested it would be best not to use it.

I do use this combo happily in one computer.

If there are no any other conflicts (appearant) i can live with it.

BigWrench

Level 13
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Price for Emsisoft went up in my region from 19,99€ to 29,99€ for one license for one pc which i think it bit much tbh.

And addon comment for comodo firewall compatibility, i had chats with Emsisoft support about that because i had the infamous 1,5gb ram usage in Emsisoft. They said in support that comodo firewall (CIS) still loads several components of their AV even if you haven't installed it with the CIS package, they suggested it would be best not to use it.

I do use this combo happily in one computer.

If there are no any other conflicts (appearant) i can live with it.

I also have CF installed on one pc alongside EAM. Installed with Revo, traced the install, and deleted some unnecessary junk. Seems to run fine. I believe that the SEP setup uses less memory/ CPU’s.

Yanick

Level 1
Jun 14, 2021
Yes, i believe your correct that SEP seems to be lighter in ram/cpu usage.
SEP with FW only seems to work well with different AV's.

Hmm, well i'm not expert on that heh. Mostly i've been fan of Swedish Mullvad VPN and Swiss based Proton Vpn, think Mullvad is cheaper as it's 5€ a month with good speed and for what articles i've read about them their stance about user privacy seems to be in order.

First time i try multi-quote, see how it works (or not) lol.

BigWrench

Level 13
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014

Hmm, well i'm not expert on that heh. Mostly i've been fan of Swedish Mullvad VPN and Swiss based Proton Vpn, think Mullvad is cheaper as it's 5€ a month with good speed and for what articles i've read about them their stance about user privacy seems to be in order.

I can’t get the multi quote right either.

CyberTech

Level 37
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017

It doesnt matter, just use VPN to change different server to buy the one cheap thats it

Alexhousek

Level 2
Aug 19, 2017

Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home 3 Device​

Not Rated
Read reviews (0)
  • ৳ 3300.00
  • ৳ 1400.00
  • Save 58%
That is a FABULOUS DEAL!!!! 🤯
Nice share, show-Zi (y)
(worth every penny ;))

Do you know if I can purchase this and use it in the USA?

show-Zi

Level 33
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
A caveat when purchasing from a Certified Partner is that you may not be able to renew an existing license. The Japanese agency was like that. That is, additional licenses are issued. There are no issues with usage, but the cloud management screen also manages expired licenses, which is a little confusing.

Zartarra

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
I tested the behavior blocker against 49 samples. The behavior blocker stops 29 samples. I found that a disappointed result comparing to some other AVs.

ProductnameBlocked samples (49)
AVG IS41
Bitdefender33
F-Secure33
Emsisoft 29
Eset IS29
G data27

rain2reign

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I tested the behavior blocker against 49 samples. The behavior blocker stops 29 samples. I found that a disappointed result comparing to some other AVs.

ProductnameBlocked samples (49)
AVG IS41
Bitdefender33
F-Secure33
Emsisoft29
Eset IS29
G data27
That's interesting. Though I find them all quite disappointing in the list, aside from a pleasant surprise in AVG IS. 😲

Farhad24

Level 1
Mar 24, 2021
Nowadays with cybersecurity companies got services by agents 24/7 monitoring your company network and stuff
what real business use Emsisoft i wonder..

well maybe the very small ones, but surely Emsisoft cannot go much further on that since they lack of manpower and technology for that matter

rain2reign

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
In 2021, do NOT buy it. According to what I've heard, Emsisoft intends to reposition itself to focus on business customers. The quality of their customer service is deteriorating.

Your better choices are Kaspersky, Bitdefender, ESET and Norton...
They may try to reposition themselves by trying to push and focus on their business product more, but I don't see that as a valid reason to not recommend them. Their forums are still very active by their staff, even if their other service lines may slightly deteriorate for consumers in favor of business clients. In the end they are still more (pro-)active on their communication and contactable than the vast majority of their competition on the consumer AV-market, including Kaspersky and especially Bitdefender(!) in my experience.