Q&A Emsisoft in 2020 - Is it worth buying?

Anthony Qian

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
They may try to reposition themselves by trying to push and focus on their business product more, but I don't see that as a valid reason to not recommend them. Their forums are still very active by their staff, even if their other service lines may slightly deteriorate for consumers in favor of business clients. In the end they are still more (pro-)active on their communication and contactable than the vast majority of their competition on the consumer AV-market, including Kaspersky and especially Bitdefender(!) in my experience.
Please refer to the following links (posted by a veteran Emsisoft user; both in Chinese):
  1. hxxps://bbs.kafan.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=499683&do=blog&id=11665
  2. 是时候离开并放弃 Emsisoft 了_国外杀毒软件_安全区 卡饭论坛 - 互助分享 - 大气谦和!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Correlate

rain2reign

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Please refer to the following links (posted by a veteran Emsisoft user; both in Chinese):
  1. hxxps://bbs.kafan.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=499683&do=blog&id=11665
  2. 是时候离开并放弃 Emsisoft 了_国外杀毒软件_安全区 卡饭论坛 - 互助分享 - 大气谦和!
Not trying to turn this into an 'A versus B discussion', but from what I read (using Google Translate, since I can't read simplified Chinese) it all stems from the same one source. Which is a faulty key or an abused/reseller key. In the western countries, this kind of treatment technically is a regular occurrence due to the fact that abuses using the exact same channels and official procedures use Chinese and/or Indian IP's, servers or services. The reselling of keys is quite a big market, and is very cheap compared to the price of the official local partners (Official emsi local partner resellers) or official shop.

Not to talk it right, but for that particular semi-global market, most of the abuses are being treated as such and ultimately the few legitimate costumers will suffer the same consequences.

That having said, every brand will have their fair share of costumers whom don't recommend said product for the same reasons.

Anthony Qian

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Not trying to turn this into an 'A versus B discussion', but from I read (using Google Translate, since I can't read simplified Chinese) it all stems from the same one source. Which is a faulty key or an abused/reseller key. In the western countries, this kind of treatment technically is a regular occurrence due to the fact that abuses using the exact same channels and official procedures use Chinese and/or Indian IP's, servers or services. The reselling of keys is quite a big market, and is very cheap compared to the price of the official local partners (Official emsi local partner resellers) or official shop.

Not to talk it right, but for that particular semi-global market, most of the abuses are being treated as such and ultimately the few legitimate costumers will suffer the same consequences.

That having said, every brand will have their fair share of costumers whom don't recommend said product for the same reasons. 🤷‍♂️
Well, the point is that the original poster said he did not resell or absue the key.

The OP said he would post on MalwareTips when he has free time.:)

show-Zi

Level 33
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I don't know the quality of service, but I don't think recent official forums are as active as before. It also feels like a transition to a workspace-centric support structure.
Well, the point is that the original poster said he did not resell or absue the key.

The OP said he would post on MalwareTips when he has free time.:)
I remember him well because he often talked on forums recently. I think the conversation became complicated because we didn't explain enough.:unsure:

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
Thanks for @Anthony Qian mention my post .

I understand most of MalwareTips's member can't read Chinese,
and after using Google translate , It's a mess, no one understands it at all,
It's like an alien language.

So I plan to find a free time , write the English version ,
but I've been busy lately, so the article may not be ready so soon.

The original story Chinese version has nearly 10,000 words,
It’s too long, I don’t plan to post a long discussion on MalwareTips ,
so I will try to concise as possible.

In short say ,
my Emsisoft's license just suddenly terminated in early August ,
but those license had already confirm by Emsi salse manager in 2017 ,
it's legally acquired through activities and they give me the promise and guarantee ,
and I still keep those email record between Emsi salse manager and me .

However after Emsi direct terminated my license with out asking or confirm ,
I make a protest and provide those evidence ,
what I got in return was they black list my email"s".
and banned my forum account.

I feel unfair,
so I plan to find time to tell this matter.

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 33
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Thanks for @Anthony Qian mention my post .

I understand most of MalwareTips's member can't read Chinese,
and after using Google translate , It's a mess, no one understands it at all,
It's like an alien language.

So I plan to find a free time , write the English version ,
but I've been busy lately, so the article may not be ready so soon.

The original story Chinese version has nearly 10,000 words,
It’s too long, I don’t plan to post a long discussion on MalwareTips ,
so I will try to concise as possible.

In short say ,
my Emsisoft's license just suddenly terminated in early August ,
but those license had already confirm by Emsi salse manager in 2017 ,
it's legally acquired through activities and they give me the promise and guarantee ,
and I still keep those email record between Emsi salse manager and me .

However after Emsi direct terminated my license with out asking or confirm ,
I make a protest and provide those evidence ,
what I got in return was they black list my email"s".
and banned my forum account.

I feel unfair,
so I plan to find time to tell this matter.
In a genre where performance is becoming more and more uniform, the reputation of a support system is very meaningful in differentiating a product from others. It is rare to actually ask for help from support, but it shows the company's approach and seriousness. Valuable input. I'll wait and see how it goes.:unsure:

Slyguy

Level 44
Jan 27, 2017
In 2021, do NOT buy it. According to what I've heard, Emsisoft intends to reposition itself to focus on business customers. The quality of their customer service is deteriorating.

Your better choices are Kaspersky, Bitdefender, ESET and Norton...

I've been gone for some time, but reading this reinforces my experience in 2021 with Emsisoft. The service/support has declined, remarkably so...

My story is - I had 5 licenses from a legitimate reseller (confirmed by Emsisoft). I used the keys, then did some major upgrades and had to re-install each of the systems and the key came back as already used. I contacted Emsisoft support and was told they would not release the keys unless I made an emsisoft portal account. So I made an emsisoft portal account, and gave them the 5 keys to assign to the account. Then I was told they could only assign 1 key to the account, and I would have to re-buy a subscription or the keys would stay deactivated.

Any subsequent communications were ignored.... It's at that point I permanently banned Emsisoft from my wallet, forever, and went and purchased another (better rated) AV instead. They've declined in every way from the looks of it and I won't support them any longer. :(

show-Zi

Level 33
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Perhaps the beginning of change was when we introduced the workspace. Regarding the procedure to stop the automatic extension of the license adopted from that time and the handling of the account, it was quite esoteric and unfriendly in contrast to the UI of the software.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
It's good to have different perspectives but lets not judge Emsisoft just from a few posts or lines from unhappy users. True, there is less updates and new features these days, but EAM is still an excellent product and having fixes on a regular basis. In the end you want a stable product which is able to protect you.

Focusing on businesses requires a lot of resources and it is good news, a sign that the company is still growing. In Ransomware attacks articles Emsisoft is often mentioned for helping companies to recover and protect their data. And they publish results from independent tests regularly showing that they follow industry standards.

And lastly you have to take into account the COVID crisis, straining the pockets of most businesses. As a business then you try to make less developments, just enough to maintain the quality of products. This is how i see the whole picture about Emsisoft.

show-Zi

Level 33
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
It's good to have different perspectives but lets not judge Emsisoft just from a few posts or lines from unhappy users. True, there is less updates and new features these days, but EAM is still an excellent product and having fixes on a regular basis. In the end you want a stable product which is able to protect you.

Focusing on businesses requires a lot of resources and it is good news, a sign that the company is still growing. In Ransomware attacks articles Emsisoft is often mentioned for helping companies to recover and protect their data. And they publish results from independent tests regularly showing that they follow industry standards.

And lastly you have to take into account the COVID crisis, straining the pockets of most businesses. As a business then you try to make less developments, just enough to maintain the quality of products. This is how i see the whole picture about Emsisoft.
To put it another way, it's like a subtle change in the seasoning of your favorite restaurant.
Considering the damage caused by ransomware, it makes sense that the trend is to target enterprises.:)

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
To put it another way, it's like a subtle change in the seasoning of your favorite restaurant.
Considering the damage caused by ransomware, it makes sense that the trend is to target enterprises.:)
...exactly!But if you take a holistic approach, it also have benefits for Home users when you focus on businesses. Things learned, can easily be implemented in Home products, overall, improving the quality of the product, and faster developments.Avoiding the snares of harvesting user's data,intrusive ads for fast growth and money.

Bushman

Level 1
Sep 9, 2017
As often there are fashions ... Je vous aime moi non plus
I still use Emsisoft on multiple PCs to my great satisfaction and have always been satisfied with the after-sales
For having tried many after-sales services from Eset , G Data , Kaspersky , F Secure are of a poor standard.
So even if some say they have noticed a lower quality after-sales for some time - which is not my case - it is still of a much better level than those I mentioned

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 33
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Regarding the decline in support, it should be noted that this is something that long-time Emisi users feel, and we are not advocating the shortcoming of 'poor support' to new users who are considering using Emisi.
In fact, it can be interpreted that what used to be outstandingly good has now become equal to other companies.