Emsisoft, Kaspersky or ESET NOD32?

Which product would you choose when it comes to best bang for buck?

• Total voters

Paul Lee

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
Howdy gang, it's that time of year where it's time to renew my security software, but i'm in a bit of a pickle. My ESET license is running out in 12 days and would need feedback on which product is more bang for my buck. I'm not particularly biased about which one to get since they're all around $39-40 CAD. Also, keep in mind I'm not someone who's particularly prone to infections & is quite tech-savvy, so I wouldn't mind having a program which is more advanced. I would just need something among the 3 given programs that would offer solid protection while impacting system performance the least. Which one would you pick and why? I'm curious :D

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Kaspersky: In terms of overall protection Kaspersky is the best. Excellent signatures, cloud protection against new threats, solid web protection, industry's best behavior blocker and also have TAM which if you enable will only allow trusted files to run. Advanced users can also modify each applications permission, configure protected folders etc. It's probably the most complete package. It's light and no noticeable system impact in my experience either.

ESET: It's excellent as well. Brilliant signatures and one of the best at detecting unknown variants of existing malwares. It's web protection is probably a bit underrated, as in my own experience it's better than the other big guns. Has a highly customizable HIPS and no system impact at all. You're using it at the moment so you surely know all about it. Only downside is not having a proper behavior blocker unlike the other two in your list but since you're not prone to infection, this should not be a big issue.

Emsisoft: Emsisoft is known for its excellent behavior blocker. Even though the Bitdefender's signature has become a bit weak against newer threats, this shouldn't be a concern with you're safe browsing habits and the behavior blocker would likely protect you if something gets through. It's the least customizable AV out of the three but it's fast, light and a great program.

Three great products and it's better if you try the trial version of Kaspersky and Emsisoft before making any decision.

Last edited:

Paul Lee

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
Kaspersky: In terms of overall protection Kaspersky is the best. Excellent signatures, cloud protection against new threats, solid web protection, industry's best behavior blocker and also have TAM which if you enable will only allow trusted files to run. Advanced users can also modify each applications permission, configure protected folders etc. It's probably the most complete package. It's light and no noticeable system impact in my experience either.

ESET: It's excellent as well. Brilliant signatures and one of the best at detecting unknown variants of existing malwares. It's web protection is probably a bit underrated, as in my own experience it's better than the other big guns. Has a highly customizable HIPS and no system impact at all. You're using it at the moment so you surely know all about it. Only downside is not having a proper behavior blocker unlike the other two in your list but since you're not prone to infection, this should not be a big issue.

Emsisoft: Emsisoft is known for it's excellent behavior blocker. Even though the Bitdefender's signature has become a bit weak against newer threats, this shouldn't be a concern with you're safe browsing habits and the behavior blocker would likely protect you if something gets through. It's the least customizable AV out of the three but it's fast, light and a great program.

Three great products and it's better if you try the trial version of Kaspersky and Emsisoft before making any decision.
Brilliant summary of the products. Many thanks!

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
@SeriousHoax made a brilliant summary of the products for sure, I think Kaspersky is a little bit better than the others because of how powerful the System Watcher module is, but all those solutions are top tier that you cant go wrong with.

@Paul Lee How about F-Secure Safe? It is now using the full Avira engine (with the cloud enabled), called Capricorn, combined with a in-house engine plus a very powerful behavior blocker (Deepguard), if you are interested I can give you a license valid until 14/11/2020.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.