Emsisoft not detected a virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emy12

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 22, 2011
Hi all,

I was surfing on net looking for something and opened a page...Malwarebyte/Superantispyware warned/caught a virus....the question, why Mr Emsisoft Anti-Malware (paid one) was so lazy and did nothing?
I could put the link, i do not know if i am allowed! I do not want to infect anyone's PC!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It wasn't the fact that Emsisoft (as a company) was "lazy", but mainly because they haven't a signature for the file (yet).
If you report or submit the file to them as malicious, they can analyse the file and add it their database (which will come through the updates).

No Anti-Malware / Antivirus (paid or free) software has 100% detection against malicious software. Some miss where others detect, and sometimes they are FPs.

Check your PM.

Emy12

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 22, 2011
Thanks for quick replay. I sent/posted on other forum and i was warned by a user that his AV Norton detected a virus and I had to remove the link.
I only found it in SuperAntiSpyware quarantine, Realtime Protection. It's Trojan.Agent/Gen-Kryptik.Process......\local\temp\more.exe....
I sent an email with the link to Emsisoft.
I am 100% agree with you, but if these two Anti spyware and Norton detected a virus, I expect Emsisoft to do a better job!

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
some av have nature of blocking everything but they miss a little malware :p
in my case ksapersky have done this so i am back with the avast now.:D

D

Deleted member 178

Emy12 said:
Thanks for quick replay. I sent/posted on other forum and i was warned by a user that his AV Norton detected a virus and I had to remove the link.
I only found it in SuperAntiSpyware quarantine, Realtime Protection. It's Trojan.Agent/Gen-Kryptik.Process......\local\temp\more.exe....
I am 100% agree with you, but if these two Anti spyware and Norton detected a virus, I expect Emsisoft to do a better job!

Emsisoft AM is among the best (say the best for me) for detecting malwares, it's detection is above Norton (after personal tests i made) but as Earth said, no AV detect all malwares.
did you set EAM to detect on read or did you left it on "modified or created"?
also i suggest you to upload it to Virus Total to check how many vendors flag it as malware, if few does, so it may be a False Positive or a not harmful one.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Agree with Umbra Emsisoft have best detection maybe a bit heavier but worth to use.I will love it if it make security suite (firewall in built)

D

Deleted member 178

they did OA++ but doesnt have lot of success, so they stop it and replace it by the EAM+OAP combo ^^

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
The interesting thing about a companion antimalware software, in this case for EAM, it is designed in such a way that if another scanner is scanning, and it finds a threat that EAM know about, EAM will still allow it to handle the threat in order to avoid a conflict. For that reason you may believed EAM failed to catch it. This is the same for WSA i've noticed.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 178

bitbizket said:
The interesting thing about a companion antimalware software, in this case for EAM, it is designed in such a way that if another scanner is scanning, and it finds a threat that EAM know about, EAM will still allow it to handle the threat in order to avoid a conflict. For that reason you may believed EAM failed to catch it. This is the same for WSA i've noticed.

Thanks

Exact, i have noticed that too with WSA.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
bitbizket said:

Thanks

Bro WSA never detect so where come the point of leave :p

Emy12

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 22, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
Emy12 said:

Emsisoft AM is among the best (say the best for me) for detecting malwares, it's detection is above Norton (after personal tests i made) but as Earth said, no AV detect all malwares.
did you set EAM to detect on read or did you left it on "modified or created"?
also i suggest you to upload it to Virus Total to check how many vendors flag it as malware, if few does, so it may be a False Positive or a not harmful one.

I was and still am very pleased with it (the Emsisoft), this is the only time when happened do not be detected an "virus" by it. I like the way it warns me anytime i visit a website......a little mirror comes up saying that ....AV stopped a connection with a malicious stuff....I like to see it working.
"did you set EAM to detect on read or did you left it on "modified or created"? "...did not touch any settings, I will try to locate it in settings i guess!
I can not upload it, it is in quarantine of SuperAntiSpyware. I have the only option to restore it.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
Stranger said:
bitbizket said:

Thanks

Bro WSA never detect so where come the point of leave :p

That doesn't mean Norton is not good either. The point is people failed to fully understand how these kind of programs was designed to work.

D

Deleted member 178

the setting i told you is on the "File Guard" settings tab.

EAM's AV will never say what you would like it to say :D, since it is not the AV's job to stop the connection but the "Web filter" , unfortunately EAM doesn't have a web filter.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
umbrapolaris said:

EAM's AV will never say what you would like it to say :D, since it is not the AV's job to stop the connection but the "Web filter" , unfortunately EAM doesn't have a web filter.

So true. :D Either the on-access or BB will.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
umbrapolaris said:

Still it block connection to bad urls better then many other av

Emy12

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 22, 2011
umbrapolaris said:

It is set to modified or created. I have lots of warnings from EAM through a little mirror regarding some attempts of malicious connections....

Emy12

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 22, 2011
Yes, right is Behavior Blocker. I DO NOT need a Web filter. I had other AV (not name them cause it will be other comments...), with Web Filter and the internet speed was affected.
I got response from Emsisoft saying that will check the link.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
Have you uploaded it to https://www.virustotal.com/ yet? Try that and see what companies have definitions for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.