Advice Request Emsisoft subscription is expiring - Renew or go another way?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncage

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
May 20, 2017
So my favorite AV expires in less than a month (emsisoft) and i'm trying to think on whether i'm going to renew or not. I love emsisoft what i don't love so much is its probably the only av product i don't ever see good deals for. I see great deals for kaspersky, Trend Micro, bitdefender (family pack can't be beat), eset, & others. On top of that, if i want, i get get norton for free through my ISP. Norton is freakn buggy at hell but has probably some of the best definitions. I also have found bitdefender to be buggy (and a little heavy).

Avast free has great protection & is lightweight but it makes you feel like you're selling your soul. Avast hasn't been know to be privacy friendly and i can tell you from experience no matter how much they tell you the data they sell is anonymous i can be deanonymized pretty easily for someone that gets familiar with the data.

So i'm kind of at a loss what to do here. If emsisoft was the same price as everything else that would be definitely the direction i would. A license for emsisoft for me will be ~$50. Everything else i can get for around ~$20.

Whats very important to me is a top notch behavior blocker (which is one of the reasons i love emsisoft).

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
for me avast free it´s one of the free Av if not the best on shields, options, personalize, and what info avast will get from usser ? dont think they get ur password from ur brownser.. qihoo 360 is great also.

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
I remember a few years back, Emsisoft had the best BB module, but I'm not sure anymore. Norton has really good BB as well with its file insight feature. Kaspersky is pretty good as well. I would prefer Kaspersky over Avast in the free software department. For paid software, either wait for an Emsisoft sale or try Norton/Kaspersky trial and see which you prefer.

ncage

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
May 20, 2017
I remember a few years back, Emsisoft had the best BB module, but I'm not sure anymore. Norton has really good BB as well with its file insight feature. Kaspersky is pretty good as well. I would prefer Kaspersky over Avast in the free software department. For paid software, either wait for an Emsisoft sale or try Norton/Kaspersky trial and see which you prefer.
My only problem with Kaspersky free is no BB. Bitdefender free does have it though as does avast.

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
My only problem with Kaspersky free is no BB. Bitdefender free does have it though as does avast.
Thanks for the heads up about KFA. Bitdefender is a good alternative, although resource heavy. From my experience, Emsisoft was extremely light for the protection it provided. I'd be conflicted with my decision too. From past experience, Norton is very light as well, but it tended to bog down the longer it was on my system. It's hard to say if you should stick with Emsisoft or switch, which is why I always recommend trials first. Different machines react differently to different software.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
The question you should be asking yourself is this: Do you feel that the quality of the components Emsisoft offers justifies the added expense?
If yes, renew your license. If no, replace it with something else that you find acceptable.

My only problem with Kaspersky free is no BB.
Kaspersky Free 2019 release now includes a behaviour blocker but you are unable to adjust individual settings anymore.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

While Emsisoft is priced on the higher side of things (considering they don't have as many sales as their competitors), its does become cheaper the longer you stay with them. I agree with Dave Russo about double checking the renewal price of Emsisoft since you are a repeat customer.

I too would echo trying out Sophos Home Premium and see what you think of it. I believe they are still offering a 20% and 50% sale on their product which covers up to 10 computers. You can see the links in the Sophos Home Premium? thread. I've been using it for a while now and like it alot. It offers very good protection, but I would pair it up with something along the lines of OSArmor and or VS to fill some of the holes. The one downside that some people don't like is that the settings are not local, (you have to access the website to get at them), however there is an option to access the page without having to enter your password, which makes it much easier IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.