Enabling secure start? Avira is the last thing to load on boot. Firefox loads faster!

Status
Not open for further replies.

asilentfire

Thread author
Feb 13, 2013
I'm using: Windows 8, Avira Free Antivirus, and Comodo Firewall.

The other day I powered up my computer, opened Firefox, and logged into Gmail.. Then I noticed that Avira still hadn't started!

Before uninstalling Avira for Bitdefender or Kaspersky, I decided to see what the interwebz had to say about Avira's start time. I found a thread on this wonderful forum, where everyone agreed that upon installing Avira it is best to configure it for "Secure Start", over normal start. (http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Normal-or-Secure-Start-Avira-AntiVir)

Problem is, I had already scoured all the settings for such an option and found nothing to fix its pushover-style startup philosophy that lets everything else load before it.

In the thread I linked, a command was given (avconfig.exe /WIZ) that was supposedly supposed to run a wizard that would allow "Secure Start" to be enabled, but instead it simply opened the settings page to configure the Automatic Update interval.

I'm not sure why, but I would like to give Avira a chance here.. But its painfully slow start time is simply unacceptable. As of now, as far as I'm concerned, Avira Free Antivirus is broken.

*sidenote: When I'm in Avira Control Center and navigate to View > Internet Protection, the item in the menu is: "menu_firewall". This is not consistent with the other items such as "System Scanner" or "Android Security" due to the underscore and unusual capitalization. This is just a curious observation on my part. Any help with my startup problem is appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Please be aware that thread is 2 years old, many changes may have occurred within Avira. How is Avira without secure boot?

asilentfire

Thread author
Feb 13, 2013
I don't know what your asking. Either I don't know how to enable it, it can no longer be enabled and has been removed from Avira, or my install is broken/not compatible.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Have you tried running

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avconfig.exe" /wizard

You can select secure or normal start (or at least you could last I checked). If you're careful with your system you can use normal start. Avira is fast on normal start, except every few boots it will take a long time to load, then next boot it's normal again for a few boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.