Energy Drinks: Are they bad for health?

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Are Energy Drinks bad for your health? Who should be able to buy them? How do they differ from the usual sugary drinks?

Looking to see your views and opinions?

Not copy and pasted articles.

Last edited:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Definitely energy drinks that contain caffeine can be harmful: a person should never drink more than a tin of 250 millilitres per day. Considering that a tin of energy drink contains an average of 80 mg caffeine, but also 120 mg, it could be extremely dangerous because of (possible) cardiovascular problems.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I am following a low sugar (no, not in fear of diabetes) + homemade diet since quite some time.
Even if I have to, I'll drink energy drinks or soda once in two months, mainly in a party or marathons only!

Most of us know that Sugar, Caffeine and Vitamin-minerals are used in energy drinks for short, quick boost of energy.
Caffeine works against your natural sleep-cycle regulating hormones to make you FEEL ENERGETIC.
And then comes dear sugar, that actually fuels us with ENERGY.
What do we get? Some good energy supply to boost productivity (or whatever).
Consuming some times is fine I think. But regular consumption can wreck havoc after months or years. And then diagnostics will not probably point towards these old dietary culprits.

By Googling, one will get the cons of excess caffeine consumption. Ok, here's the main difference. Caffeine (to feel alert) + teaspoons and teaspoons of Sugar (to get energized) is used in Energy drinks while usual sugary drinks boast of sugar mainly.
But so much sugar can disrupt normal insulin production, overwhelm liver's capacity of depositing it to liver fat, cause many other complications young people are too shy of even thinking about.
And this can over the period of time cause everything - hypertension, obesity, cardiovascular degradation, ... name it.

And then, to support the storage, chemical isolation and flavoring of the drink, there are other chemicals added, you don't know if they will be good guests for us.

I've my daily food list for a day of energy.
Talking about fruit juices, even those are a no in terms of concentrated sugar (for the conscious), be it natural. What else we've got? ;)

EDIT: Sorry for the long post XD

Last edited:

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
Not sure but I have one every day for many years now and I am not dead yet. :D Need the caffeine fix.

I would just stick to coffee and add a vitamin B12 supplement on the side. Those energy drinks will add up in time and i don't think any of us here want to see you have any issues. My opinion anyway.

For me though, i run on no caffeine at all everyday. No sugar either (in the morning that is). Just my morning protein shake and some oats. Although if i do work late like recently not getting home until 2 am then have to get up a few hours later to go back, i still wont have any caffeine :). Just takes me a bit of time to naturally wake up.

Reason for not having any caffeine? My body has a bad reaction.

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
Depending on consumption there's not much difference, I have a coffee in the AM, energy drink in the afternoon. I looked it up but one energy drink has the caffeine of 3 coffees, so I'm technically drinking 4 coffees.

Drinking 4 energy drinks in a day? BAD IDEA! Most I've ever drank in a day was two and that was a bad idea.

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
Deffo bad IMO,
Full of sugar and caffeine which if you drink a lot of can cause health problems.
I have noticed a lot of these in the local supermarket.

Not sure but I have one every day for many years now and I am not dead yet. :D Need the caffeine fix.

Becareful froggy dont want you hyperactive and running around the forum!!

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Energy drinks, are fine with moderation.Drinking a can once in a while is ok. Sometimes it can help, at times where you're really giving all you've got .For examples during some important exams where there is a lot of fatigue and concentration is of utmost importance. Someone suffering from a certain temporary weakness, or vertigo, at the wrong place, an energy drink can be of great help.

Of course too much of energy drinks, is bad ;) You'll lack sleep, and be nervous all day long. And at times, energy drinks can be rough on your stomach, with burning and acidity.

Hmmm, on a hot sunny day, at the seaside, an icy cold can, of your preferred energy booster is difficult to resist. :p

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I have one every now and then. Used to have them on a regularly basis because of closing shifts, but now a days I only have the occasional one when I feel like having one. Having to much of them from what I've heard from others are bad for you. It's more the sugar that it has in them not the caffeine. You can get a good amount of caffeine out of coffee and still get the same effect as an energy drink just with less sugar.

As for who can buy them, you can't really stop younger people from buying them, because you'll get the older people that will buy it for them. Nothing will stop them getting to them BUT I do think there should be more warnings on them when you do get them, showing that it is a bad habit to have.

RVS2

Level 3
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
In my personal opinion, if you need energy drinks, you're not eating enough good food.

Good food may be cheap or expensive depending on location, but relatively healthy stuff should be the goal.

Ideally, your 3 meals & and light exercise like jogging should increase your energy levels.

Jogos

Level 2
Verified
Apr 9, 2017
And Sugar is bad for your teeth :D

There are many cases of death due to the abuse of energy drinks, and zero because of the abuse of sugar. Drink it everyday as ordinary water, you will see how much your heart will hold.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Alcoholic content = Of course majority of energy drinks does not contain any form amount of alcohol thus it will not cause risk to your health.

However the sugar and caffeine content will lead you to different possible symptoms when consumption is too high; the effect of energy drink will bring instant boost for about 2-3 hours but once lapsed it may lead on drastic fatigue.

Also another thing, a lot of preservatives which can cause peril to the health in long term.

-----------

Still drink a plenty of water and have natural juice drink instead.

Reactions: Jogos

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.