Engines of Trustport

Discussion in 'TrustPort' started by Online_Sword, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Online_Sword

Online_Sword New Member
    Trusted

Mar 23, 2015
    In the last Sunday, I sent an email to the customer service of Trustport to ask them, what engines I would get if I purchase I license of Trustport.

Yesterday, the staff in Trustport replied me. According to him, there are some shops and eshops selling activation codes of specific versions. If you activate your Trustport with those codes, the engine installed on your computer will depend on you license.

However, if you buy license directly from the official website of Trustport, you will definitely get 3 engines, the AVG engine, the Bitdefender engine, and the in-house engine of Trustport.

By the way, I have tried the trial version of Trustport. Although it has three engines, it is not quite heavy. It uses about 80~90 MB RAM in the idle status on my virtual machine (3GB RAM, win 7 32-bit). It does not slow down the boot time significantly here.

2. Enju

Enju New Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Did they name the shops selling versions with other engines?

Online_Sword likes this.
  3. Online_Sword

Online_Sword New Member
    Trusted

Mar 23, 2015
    No. They only mentioned that with those codes, users might get viper engine and gfi engine.

They said that you could send them the place where you want to buy the license, then they would reply you the details of the version you would get.

By the way, I have not heard of gfi engine before.

Sunshine-boy and Enju like this.
  4. SloppyMcFloppy

SloppyMcFloppy New Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Earth
    They should get rid AVG and add something like ESET or Kaspersky or Avira.

Xsjx likes this.
  5. Online_Sword

Online_Sword New Member
    Trusted

Mar 23, 2015
    @user102 :

I have tested some malware samples. Statistically, most virus samples are detected by Xeon (the Bitdefender engine).

So, I guess, they use Bitdefender as the main engine, while using AVG as a complement engine.

In such case, replacing AVG with another engine such as Avira might not improve the detection rate significantly.

Enju likes this.
  6. Enju

Enju New Member

Jul 16, 2014
    There is also signature overlapping where all the "big players" detect the same stuff, whilst failing on others which the smaller companies like AVG detect. A combination of Eset, Bitdefender and Kaspersky might sound extremely good but in reality it wouldn't increase the detection significantly whereas a combination like Kaspersky/Avira or Bitdefender/Avast (randomly chosen) might have a higher detection rate since their overlapping is lower.

7. Online_Sword

Online_Sword New Member
    Trusted

Mar 23, 2015
    I think this is really a good point.:) But it is difficult for us to measure the overlapping.

Enju likes this.
  8. jamescv7

jamescv7 Level 61
    Trusted

Mar 15, 2011
    Web and FileMaker Developer
    Philippines
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    Well instead to say overlapping, their protection increase rate is very minimal since only those generic signatures could take much to detect more unusual threats based on their finding concept.

Sunshine-boy and Online_Sword like this.
  9. Nirmaljot singh baidwan

Feb 19, 2017
    India
    I use trustport and in the about section the license section names the following other security companies: Avg, Bitdefender, virusblokada, dr web. Most detections are from xenon engine, but not sure which products make xenon part and which argon. I guess xenon is Bitdefender+dr. Web and argon is avg +vba32. This is just a guess though.

Evandro likes this.
  10. Nirmaljot singh baidwan

Feb 19, 2017
    India
    Attaching a screenshot, regarding engines used by Trustport.

Attached Files:

ravi prakash saini likes this.
  11. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 21

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    Get rig of AVG and license Fortinet. That'd put their product at the top of the charts and with a totally unique engine that doesn't share signatures.

Sunshine-boy likes this.