Online_Sword

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
In the last Sunday, I sent an email to the customer service of Trustport to ask them, what engines I would get if I purchase I license of Trustport.

Yesterday, the staff in Trustport replied me. According to him, there are some shops and eshops selling activation codes of specific versions. If you activate your Trustport with those codes, the engine installed on your computer will depend on you license.

However, if you buy license directly from the official website of Trustport, you will definitely get 3 engines, the AVG engine, the Bitdefender engine, and the in-house engine of Trustport.

By the way, I have tried the trial version of Trustport. Although it has three engines, it is not quite heavy. It uses about 80~90 MB RAM in the idle status on my virtual machine (3GB RAM, win 7 32-bit). It does not slow down the boot time significantly here.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Did they name the shops selling versions with other engines?

No. They only mentioned that with those codes, users might get viper engine and gfi engine.

They said that you could send them the place where you want to buy the license, then they would reply you the details of the version you would get.

By the way, I have not heard of gfi engine before.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
@user102 :

I have tested some malware samples. Statistically, most virus samples are detected by Xeon (the Bitdefender engine).

So, I guess, they use Bitdefender as the main engine, while using AVG as a complement engine.

In such case, replacing AVG with another engine such as Avira might not improve the detection rate significantly.

Reactions: Enju

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
They should get rid AVG and add something like ESET or Kaspersky or Avira.
There is also signature overlapping where all the "big players" detect the same stuff, whilst failing on others which the smaller companies like AVG detect. A combination of Eset, Bitdefender and Kaspersky might sound extremely good but in reality it wouldn't increase the detection significantly whereas a combination like Kaspersky/Avira or Bitdefender/Avast (randomly chosen) might have a higher detection rate since their overlapping is lower.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well instead to say overlapping, their protection increase rate is very minimal since only those generic signatures could take much to detect more unusual threats based on their finding concept.

Nirmaljot singh baidwan

Level 1
Verified
Feb 19, 2017
I use trustport and in the about section the license section names the following other security companies: Avg, Bitdefender, virusblokada, dr web. Most detections are from xenon engine, but not sure which products make xenon part and which argon. I guess xenon is Bitdefender+dr. Web and argon is avg +vba32. This is just a guess though.

Reactions: Evandro

Nirmaljot singh baidwan

Level 1
Verified
Feb 19, 2017
Attaching a screenshot, regarding engines used by Trustport.

Attachments

• 3rd Party License info.jpg
    3rd Party License info.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 869
Reactions: ravi prakash saini

Slerion

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
By the way, I have tried the trial version of Trustport. Although it has three engines, it is not quite heavy. It uses about 80~90 MB RAM in the idle status on my virtual machine (3GB RAM, win 7 32-bit). It does not slow down the boot time significantly here.

what does not heavy mean for you only ram usage ? People claim WD is too "light" but its using Regulary even on my r7 1700 8 core cpu ( 16 threads ) easily alot of times 30% cpu while avast spikes max 0-5%

Reactions: Handsome Recluse
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

what does not heavy mean for you only ram usage ? People claim WD is too "light" but its using Regulary even on my r7 1700 8 core cpu ( 16 threads ) easily alot of times 30% cpu while avast spikes max 0-5%

Holy thread necro!

But yes, Trustport is exceptionally lightweight across the board - despite multiple engines.

Reactions: abdou17

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
In the last Sunday, I sent an email to the customer service of Trustport to ask them, what engines I would get if I purchase I license of Trustport.

Yesterday, the staff in Trustport replied me. According to him, there are some shops and eshops selling activation codes of specific versions. If you activate your Trustport with those codes, the engine installed on your computer will depend on you license.

However, if you buy license directly from the official website of Trustport, you will definitely get 3 engines, the AVG engine, the Bitdefender engine, and the in-house engine of Trustport.

By the way, I have tried the trial version of Trustport. Although it has three engines, it is not quite heavy. It uses about 80~90 MB RAM in the idle status on my virtual machine (3GB RAM, Windows 7 32-bit). It does not slow down the boot time significantly here.
How many antivirus engines are there? :unsure:

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
I remember last , Argon is AVG+vba32 & Xenon is Dr.Web+Bitdefender.
pay for more Engine mmm, no idea I think one Engine is enough...(more engines cause heavier,more Fps,more bugs....)

Reactions: Nevi and catjc

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
I'm wondering about Trustport.....headquarter in europe, czech republic, but it's hard to find some resellers..
and website just with 3 languages....I would say they need advice about customer loyalty

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.