May 19, 2023
How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
On-device encryption
BitLocker Device Encryption for Windows
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
Off
Network firewall
Enabled
About WiFi router
Sky Router with built-in IPV4/IPv6 Firewall
Real-time security
Comodo Internet Security .8012
CyberLock
Firewall security
Other - Internet Security (3rd-party)
About custom security
CIS .8012 in Proactive Config with Containment Set to Untrusted
Cyberlock - ON - Create In/Out Firewall Rules for Unsafe Items.
Periodic malware scanners
Norton Power Eraser
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browser(s) and extensions
Primary: Edge with uBO in Medium Mode - Netcraft/BD:TL
Secondary - Firefox with uBO in Medium Mode - Netcraft/BD:TL
Secure DNS
Provided by ISP Sky Shield though occasionally Cloudflare DNS over HTTP.
Desktop VPN
None. Browsing primarily on home private network.
Password manager
KeepassXC
Maintenance tools
Windows built-in Disk Clean-up and Storage Sense.
File and Photo backup
Seagate - Toolkit - Weekly Backup
Active subscriptions
    • None
System recovery
External Drive - Backup of Documents and folders.
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Working from home
    • Making audio/video calls
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Notable changes
22.01.2022 - Reverted to Comodo Internet Security setup with Firefox as default browser and Thunberbird email client.
15.05.2022 - Reverted to Hard_Configurator setup following errors after uninstall and PC reset with Edge as default browser for MD integration while also sticking to Thunderbird for email & Updated backup routine.
13.08.2022 - Swapped to built-in backup solution.
12.09.2022 - General update in line with new guidelines.
29.10.2022 - Edge Exploit Tweaks re-implimented
15.11.2022 - Edge Exploit Tweaks removed. Removed OneDrive backups.
18.11.2022 - Firefox now my primary browser & Thunderbird primary email client.
12.12.2022 - updated Dec 2022 changes, backup now manual and onedrive. Experimenting with Comodo Internet Security but not fully committed to it yet.
11.01.2023 - Updated Security Configuration for new laptop and having won Emisoft giveaway.
22.01.2023 - Reverted to MD, ConfigureDefender - High & Enabled CFA, FWHardener, Added NPE to scanner, Edge exploit tweaks.
01.02.2023 - Now using Seagate Toolkit for Backup of Documents and Folders
18.05.2023 - Using H_C Beta and few unticks/ticks of PC use.
24.06.2023 - Back to Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home, Changed Password Manager to KeepassXC
02.09.2023 - Switched from Emsisoft Setup to CF/MD Configuration
20.10.2023 - Switched to Firefox, no longer using VPN for as work now has Azure cloud servers. Temporarily removed custom exploit settings.
01.11.2023 - Back to MD H_C setup
12.12.2023 - Added Anti-Exploit Tweaks and uBO in Hard Mode with noop rules.
20.12.2023 - Removed custom exploit rules as having some Edge freezes. Moved back to Comodo Firewall with Cruelsister Configuration.
21.12.2023 - Firefox now primary browser.
27.12.2023 - Edge changed to Primary Browser
06.01.2024 - Removed WFC, Implemented WFH & CL create firewall rules for not safe items.
08.01.2024 - Re-Added WFC
03.01.2024 - Firefox now primary browser.
21.01.2024 - Changed Primary Browser to Edge
28.01.2024 - Removed WFC and replaced with CF
05.02.2024 - Returned to WFC
31.12.2023 - New config for 2024 - MD (DefenderUI), CyberLock,WFC
28.02.2024 - Adjusted uBO Rules & Added Netcraft & BD:TL extensions
25.03.2024 - Changed to CIS .8012
Disclaimer we use date format DD/MM/YYYY here in the UK
What I'm looking for?

Looking for minimum feedback.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Back up and running 5 hours later. Now to re-add all my programs.

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
My suggestion is that you should be taking more frequent backups with MR. I always do before changing security suites etc. That way if something goes wrong or you simply do not like, it, restore back and done. Back up and running in minutes vs. hours.

System restore can't be relied upon full stop. Sometimes it will do the trick yes, but for the most part, backups are what is key here. Sorry you have to re-install everything now.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Reverted back to H_C FWH CD setup. Disk image monthly planned but investigating space require as C drive is 500gb and D is 500gb though C only needs backing up.

There has been a Comodo update but again just focused on Pro at at this moment I could do with just a simpler strong protection that won't cause system errors though it could have just been a failed update.

Windows does have built-in disc imaging so I'll try both out and see what works best but jeez, 5 hours + I won't get back. That'll teach me.

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Reverted back to H_C FWH CD setup. Disk image monthly planned but investigating space require as C drive is 500gb and D is 500gb though C only needs backing up.

There has been a Comodo update but again just focused on Pro at at this moment I could do with just a simpler strong protection that won't cause system errors though it could have just been a failed update.

Windows does have built-in disc imaging so I'll try both out and see what works best but jeez, 5 hours + I won't get back. That'll teach me.

Backups backups, backups. Even if you are using the free version of MR, it is better than nothing. Even if you get yourself an external USB drive and back up to that, it would suit your needs.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
So I use Thunderbird which is fine on he whole but when i forward emails it's forwarded with the header and then a load of attachments rather than the actual message as one. Is there a fix for this??

E.g. this is an email with 4 images which I'm forwarding but there are message parts attached??

1653431710018.png

Sorry I don't know how to do the Spoiler thing

Last edited:

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Just removing those attachments work but reverted to Windows Mail and built-in calendar for now.

On a different note, should I be using CFA with my config? I have onedrive but I don't use it much and lot running at startup as it started uploading gigs of photos I already have backed up with Macrium Reflect.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
On a different note, should I be using CFA with my config?
With all of the OS hardening I wouldn't bother with CFA...

... otherwise it's quite handy as a form of hardening if you add these folders:
Code:
- C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
- C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
- C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
With all of the OS hardening I wouldn't bother with CFA...

... otherwise it's quite handy as a form of hardening if you add these folders:
Code:
- C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
- C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
- C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
Thanks ;)

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Did some experimenting with Comodo a bit but swapped back.

Oddly I saw some DNS errors in the Windows Logs for a beta.phonewagon.com which I never visited. I'll have to keep an eye out for this.

Otherwise, nothing exciting happening. Macrium Reflect backups working well though I think I may get a dedicated external drive for that.

Last edited:

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Just swapped to built-in File History and monthly disk imaging. Have been doing some Comodo experiments but always come back to this setup.

Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Well, that was short lived. Had some lag issues with that. Anyway, returned to Macrium Refect Free and did a fresh backup with a two weekly differential schedule and Created rescue media with a spare USB ;)

Reactions: Nevi and harlan4096

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Just a random. Swapped Microsoft Photos for opening photos for IrfanView. The web version rather than MS store as store app not updated in years but website version updated in March this year. Just very fast and easy to use and includes editing ;)

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I'm not sure to be 100% honest though I don't seem to have the same issue with Firefox.

Just reset both Edge and Network Adapters and reset data on Edge. So far it's working fine, we'll see how it holds out. Thanks for teh different persepective @oldschool

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Definitely need to think about upgrading this thing. Laptop did it's no longer charging thing, last happened 5 weeks ago. Unplug - Force Shutdown - Take out battery and do hard reset, re-insert battery and re-instert power cable and back running again. A month and a day until my b-day. Lets see if it's feasible. Saw a few from 3 different places that would be good and around the £500 budget.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.