Advice Request ESET blocking my typing into most applications--any answer?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I was doing better with ESET Smart Security till this happened.
I am being prevented from typing into most of my applications. I can't type into Outlook Express, the Find module of Autoruns, Firefox browser, or Slimjet browser. I can type into Wordpad, Jarte, and Maxthon browser.This is a grievous hindrance to my use of the computer obviously.

I just installed Smart Security for the first time on April 4.

I can't prove in a court of law that it's ESET, but I have never lost use of my keyboard and been unable to regain it after rebooting. I have rebooted numerous times, and I continue to have this block on most of what I try to do on my keyboard.

I suspect the ESET firewall, but I'm not sure. I have found it to be very aggressive. I have been running it on Interactive at a Malware Tips' member's suggestion. I tried changing it back to Automatic, but that didn't make any difference.

I don't know how to get inside ESET and stop it from doing things I don't want it doing.

It frustrates me that I can't just turn ESET off. I can either pause the antivirus or the firewall but not both.

I also have a problem in that the Smart Security icon does not appear in the system tray at startup. I have to go into Windows Explorer to make the GUI appear. When it does appear, sometimes it reveals a number of notifications that have been backed up.

Computer: DELL Dimension 2400
CPU: Intel Pentium 4-2667 (Northwood, D1)
2666 MHz (20.00x133.3) @ 2658 MHz (20.00x132.9)
Motherboard: DELL 0G1548
Chipset: Intel 845GEV (Brookdale-GEV) + ICH4
Memory: 2048 MBytes @ 166 MHz, 2.5-3-3-7
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller [DELL]
Intel i845G(L) Integrated, 64 MB
Drive: WL120GPA872, 117.2 GB, E-IDE (ATA-7)
Drive: HGST HTS545050A7E380, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s <-> USB
Drive: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S, CD-R Writer
Sound: Creative Technology SB Live! Series Audio Processor
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC [A/B/C]
Network: Broadcom 4401 10/100 Integrated Controller
Antivirus: ESET Smart Security 9.0.375.0
Firewall: ESET Smart Security 9.0.375.0
Default Browser: Maxthon

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
You could try disabling all of ESET's components and seeing if it helps, but I highly doubt it's ESET's issue because I think they do not have any anti-keylogger component in their antivirus.

I

illumination

You can reset Eset back to its default "out of the box" rules by going into advanced in settings then clicking default.

I highly doubt Eset has been your problem this whole time. Try running a chkdsk or sfc /scannow of your system, it sounds of corruption and or confliction maybe from left over files/drivers.

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
Take a photo of your taskmanger process tab
Take a photo of msconfig startup: start run type msconfig. Disable all startup on msconfig, go to services check the box hide microsoft service whats left uncheck the v.
Reboot and see if the problem still exsist.
If the problem still there
Take a photo of tasks: Start- run- write tasks
this will help us see whats runing on your system

Reactions: conceptualclarity

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Thanks for your replies. I have to set the record straight. ESET just deleted HitmanPro.Alert from my system after HPA had said on the previous boot that it would install an update on next boot. See HitmanPro.Alert deleted on my system by ESET. Anybody else had that happen?.

This mishap has ironically helped me in causing me to see that it was HPA that was blocking my typing (letters and numerals, but not space bar and backspace). Typing into all applications is restored for me. So I will have to contact HitmanPro about this problem.

Reactions: done

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
Thanks for your replies. I have to set the record straight. ESET just deleted HitmanPro.Alert from my system after HPA had said on the previous boot that it would install an update on next boot. See HitmanPro.Alert deleted on my system by ESET. Anybody else had that happen?.

This mishap has ironically helped me in causing me to see that it was HPA that was blocking my typing (letters and numerals, but not space bar and backspace). Typing into all applications is restored for me. So I will have to contact HitmanPro about this problem.
welcome at anytime

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014

Did you ever find out how to stop Hitmanpro alert from blocking Typing.I have this same problem,only in Chrome,as it dosn't block my typing when I use Edge,I see you can adjust some settings in the advanced,but I can't tell if disabling any will help,and instead of just trying trial and error yet,kind of hope you might know,Thanks,ok if you don't reply if too busy or maybe not interested gl Happy New Year

Reactions: conceptualclarity
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.