Malware News ESET discovers 21 new Linux malware families

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
@askalan no need to dream, it is already happening, the number of attacks on Linux increased since people moved from Win10.

Few years ago, you could count around 40 Linux malware, now it is much more.
More Linux become popular, more interested malcoders will become.

I laugh at those noobs who think an OS won't be touched my malware.
Any stats?
Aren't they moving to Android with desktop Linux numbers being stable?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
My advise for anyone new to Linux now, would be to stay alert and keep an ear to the ground where Linux is concerned,
Good advice. There are linux news sites and newsletters that can keep users up to date on emerging security risks, such as the tainted linux mint ISO download a couple years ago, which @Umbra referred to. Fortunately, these types of events are so rare that they are memorable for years after.

g4nu5

Level 2
Verified
Dec 5, 2018
i think in the future maybe increasing and all of these news about malware on linux after moving to windows 10 this is my opinion and not a fact "change"

Reactions: oldschool

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
@askalan no need to dream, it is already happening, the number of attacks on Linux increased since people moved from Win10.

Few years ago, you could count around 40 Linux malware, now it is much more.
More Linux become popular, more interested malcoders will become.

I laugh at those noobs who think an OS won't be touched my malware.

Still Linux is lot more secure than Windows even if both Windows and Linux have 50:50 market-share. Linux by design is more secure simply because its more restrictive just like your lock-down configurations :D

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Linux does not need antivirus. Your username and password is GOD in linux. If you do not give it to anyone, nothing has privileges to execute. It can be hacked, by brute force, but it would take years to know my password.

Black Wings

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 20, 2018
Linux does not need antivirus. Your username and password is GOD in linux. If you do not give it to anyone, nothing has privileges to execute. It can be hacked, by brute force, but it would take years to know my password.
100% agree
Dt08301VYAEGQA8.jpg large.jpg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.