• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Hello, I would like to ask that do you think ESET Should have BB as because HIPS are for Advanced User.
Please tell the Reason Why Yes or No.

D

Deleted member 178

No, because after learning a bit about its HIPS, users can manage it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No, because they're dedicated on providing Proactive protection through the use of HIPS -including other range of security features.

Behavioural reminds me of Heuristics, detection based on something that pre-exists.

HIPS allows better self-protection for ESET itself and for computer use, than a Behavioural guard.

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Earth said:
No, because they're dedicated on providing Proactive protection through the use of HIPS -including other range of security features.

Behavioural reminds me of Heuristics, detection based on something that pre-exists.

HIPS allows better self-protection for ESET itself and for computer use, than a Behavioural guard.

Agree :yeahthat:

P

Plexx

Earth said:

I will have to disagree here.

BB is based on a similar concept of HIPS which is based on Whitelisting rules/vendors (several variations approaches between different HIPS and BB across the time).

ESET actually would benefit from having BB module due to the fact that, and I am talking about the standard user here, when ESET is installed, 80% of the users will not change HIPS settings and we all know what are the standard default settings of ESET's HIPS even on V6 out of the box.

So yes BB should have BB to be beneficial to most users.

AVG uses BB technology and has no problem with RT protection.

HIPS is more advanced and for advanced users but if you look at HIPS for ESET alone, the settings to change rules etc is not straight forward, aside from having lack of documentation in terms of guidance.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Biozfear said:

BB is based on a similar concept of HIPS which is based on Whitelisting rules/vendors (several variations approaches between different HIPS and BB across the time).

ESET actually would benefit from having BB module due to the fact that, and I am talking about the standard user here, when ESET is installed, 80% of the users will not change HIPS settings and we all know what are the standard default settings of ESET's HIPS even on V6 out of the box.

HIPS is more advanced and for advanced users but if you look at HIPS for ESET alone, the settings to change rules etc is not straight forward, aside from having lack of documentation in terms of guidance.

I don't agree not 80% i think 90%.

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Unknown said:
Biozfear said:

I don't agree not 80% i think 90%.
I think,they should change it to Learning Mode,it is better than default mode. and if you ask me...98.66% (only few technical-geeks will have brain to change the HIPS settings)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do you think Behavioural Analysis will be integrated in the the AV engine, sooner or later?

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
ESET's HIPS can be annoying as heck so if they made a BB, maybe it would be more user friendly with alot less pop-ups.

P

Plexx

Payback said:
I think,they should change it to Learning Mode,it is better than default mode. and if you ask me...98.66% (only few technical-geeks will have brain to change the HIPS settings)

They could pre-load specific windows operations for starters and incorporate a white listing method, as well as if the solution has pre-defined rules for the OS operations (right click on desktop, empty recycle bin etc (yes those also trigger alerts in Interactive mode), then even changing default to Interactive mode is fine and get rid of automatic as it is basically useless.

@Earth: Considering ESET has Heuristics, having BA integrated to AV engine won't make much improvement. Instead have a BB module counterpart to fill in the gap of zero day protection as RT as opposed to av engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.