App Review ESET Internet Security 2018 Video Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016

Take this test with a huge grain of salt. Still, watch ESET be crushed by zero day samples/links. Still a product worth the use. Take the work from an ESET user :) This software needs a bit of tweaking to offer a great protecting level :)

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
This test is totally Bs!detection of unsafe programs are disabled by default and He don't even know there are such settings:notworthy:
it doesn't protect so much,
What about Hips?it can even work as an ANTI EXE!

Attachments

• 333.PNG
    333.PNG
    5.8 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
This test is totally Bs!detection of unsafe programs are disabled by default and He don't even know there are such settings:notworthy:

What about Hips?it can even work as an ANATI EXE!
Well, someone will inform the tester and after enabling the required settings for PUP/PUA he'll return for another new video :)

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017

Thats true and in my opion the average user doesn't tweak an antivirus. We need a reference for those tests...and the base is that the options are disabled by default.
It's sophisticated whining. Eset is a good product in the top 5 of all security programs.

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Before taking any conclusions or not using the product take into account ESET brings literally hundred of tweaking options to achieve maximum protection, and even after doing it it's still as light as a feather. "Malware Blocker" used a default ESET product which means a really low protection level. Novice users who don't tweak their antivirus should be worried after this video. I hope all of us understand and know how to configure properly any software. I'm using ESET IS18 and i spent around 20 minutes setting it up to achieve best protection. I'm literally warned about everything that goes on on sight and on the background. Take my word and the word of my fellas above.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Video shows the real world scenario with an average user with no IT background downloading some "free" stuffs (cough cough ... Pirated) having no signatures available.
Eset is a good product with very low system impact. They just need to make the default settings a bit more secure.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
That's the problem with ESET for a long time. It has a very powerful HIPS that comes configured from factory to do basically nothing The average user does not want to spend time playing around with their security software that's something that just enthusiasts do. It should come with more aggressive settings.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Video shows the real world scenario with an average user with no IT background downloading some "free" stuffs (cough cough ... Pirated) having no signatures available.
Eset is a good product with very low system impact. They just need to make the default settings a bit more secure.
That's the problem with ESET for a long time. It has a very powerful HIPS that comes configured from factory to do basically nothing The average user does not want to spend time playing around with their security software that's something that just enthusiasts do. It should come with more aggressive settings.
They should really consider setting the HIPS component to smart mode as default.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Marcos

Bad result?
default_smile.png
I don't see any bad results there but there's definitely an issue with the methodology.

As for the urls, it appears to be there were no malicious ones that were not blocked by ESET but those not blocked was mainly fresh phishing from today which was not blocked at that time by any AV.

As for the on-demand scan "test", I "like" tests where one puts all mess (benign files, apps with Chinese gui, PUAs, etc.) into a folder, then scans the files and presents undetected files as misses
default_smile.png
AVs that detect such files have FPs and should be penalized for that but in these "tests" they get good points for detecting FPs.

A credible tester should know what he or she has in the test set, should be able to distinguish malware from PUAs, greyware and other benign applications and remove such from the test set. Including non-malicious files usually substantially skews the final results.

Also note that on-demand scans do not reflect the real-world scenario. In real world, malware is usually downloaded by malicious scripts on compromised websites or spread by spammed email. Running just an on-demand scan cannot test other protection layers that might have prevented the malware from being downloaded and executed.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I do not know why they get so complicated ...
Eset default is enough for a home user ..
Let's be honest people just use facebook and facebook..The most dangerous are the pushing
If you refer to ESET AV then I say it's ok. But if you refer to ESET IS and say the default settings are enough for a home user then I say you don't use the IS but the AV will do.

Choosing an IS involves protection against network attacks as well which will involve the FW and other advanced network settings something which is not suitable for a normal home user. This also applies to other IS from other companies.

Last edited:

nikos200

Level 3
Verified
Nov 18, 2015
it is clear that eset so many years have no good BB....good detection and light on the system..... but no good BB at all....sry eset!!!
Malware Blocker fantastic video like always!!!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.