Advice Request ESET IS 10 - Any other security software enhancement (with compatibility) required?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

First time using an ISS.

Just reinstalled ESET IS v10.1.219.0 free version. Also, I have VS, Unchecky and SUPERAntiSpyware with it in real-time.

I would like to know whether using ESET IS alone is enough for protection (with its additional settings) or need any other security software like HMPA, ZAL, AppGuard, ReHIPS, AppCheck etc to enhance my protection in real-time? I'm thinking any weak feature in ESET which can be disabled and enhance with 3rd-party software. Of course compatibility is the number one thing here

Any ESET IS user with additional 3rd-party security software can advise?

Thanks

Last edited:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
With all those you listed as possible combo with ESET, I think the best combo you can have is with AppGuard. :)

ESET already has anti-exploit properties, HIPS, and anti-ransomware protection. So, the real deal is with AppGuard, which is unique on its own. :)

AppGuard provides you with an SRP-type protection. And if you use the Lockdown Mode, then you're utilizing a strict default-deny model of protection. :)

This is merely my point of view. I'm not a user of ESET. :)

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Yo don't need Unchecky and SUPERAntiSpyware :notworthy:because ESet has good pup detection.
An anti-Exe is enough with Eset because it has all security features like anti-exploit, firewall ,HIPs, device control, and more....
Rehips or vs Is okay with Eset but if you want to use Eset hips in interactive mode and Rehips in expert mode it's a huge pain for you because they both generate an alert for an operation.
Btw it's only for the first days and after 1 week they both know what to allow or block
Rehips( standard mode)+Hips in interactive mode works nice but if you want to install smth safe jsut set Eset hips in automatic Mode and when the installation finished enable it again.
I don't know how APPGUARD works you can test it yourself.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
With all those you listed as possible combo with ESET, I think the best combo you can have is with AppGuard. :)

ESET already has anti-exploit properties, HIPS, and anti-ransomware protection. So, the real deal is with AppGuard, which is unique on its own. :)

AppGuard provides you with an SRP-type protection. And if you use the Lockdown Mode, then you're utilizing a strict default-deny model of protection. :)

This is merely my point of view. I'm not a user of ESET. :)
Yes, ESET does have exploit and ransomware protection with HIPS. Since I'm choosing an ISS I'll also be looking into its network, FW & HIPS protection as well.

My concern is that knowing ESET is a middle performer when comes to malware protection (wrt testing by test labs and here) I would like to know any other means to enhance this aspect of it. BTW, AppGuard is not without its weakness too.

Thanks

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Yo don't need Unchecky and SUPERAntiSpyware :notworthy:because ESet has good pup detection.
An anti-Exe is enough with Eset because it has all security features like anti-exploit, firewall ,HIPs, device control, and more....
Rehips or vs Is okay with Eset but if you want to use Eset hips in interactive mode and Rehips in expert mode it's a huge pain for you because they both generate an alert for an operation.
Btw it's only for the first days and after 1 week they both know what to allow or block
Rehips( standard mode)+Hips in interactive mode works nice but if you want to install smth safe jsut set Eset hips in automatic Mode and when the installation finished enable it again.
I don't know how APPGUARD works you can test it yourself.
Yup, just removed Unchecky knowing that ESET has the best protection against PUPs

But like I mentioned in the above post ESET is a middle performer when comes to malware protection wrt to others like BD, Kaspersky etc. I'll just keep SUPERAntispyware as a backup.

Thanks

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
My concern is that knowing ESET is a middle performer when comes to malware protection (wrt testing by test labs and here) I would like to know any other means to enhance this aspect of it. BTW, AppGuard is not without its weakness too.

Thanks
I agree that AppGuard has its own weaknesses. But it can greatly aid in your protection because it is a different class in itself when paired with ESET, unlike with what you listed where ESET already covers. To be fair, though, what you listed are specialized, and therefore may be more effective than ESET's. :)

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
Yup, just removed Unchecky knowing that ESET has the best protection against PUPs

But like I mentioned in the above post ESET is a middle performer when comes to malware protection wrt to others like BD, Kaspersky etc. I'll just keep SUPERAntispyware as a backup.

Thanks
ESET IS + VS is all I need for real-time protection (y) and it's light too, the more you add real-time security software the slower your system will be.
Why do you need SUPERAntispyware in real-time as a backup when you have VS as a backup witch is more powerful, even ESET is better than SUPERAntispyware.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Any ESET IS user with additional 3rd-party security software can advise?
I was using Sandboxie/Shadow Defender at a time when I was using Eset and didn't see a need to add any other 3th party security software to over-complicate my setup, (only thing I will suggest is to use HIPS in "Smart mode" because then it will alert only about very suspicious system events, such as changes in system registry, active processes and programs. "Automatic" is useless if there is no pre-defined rules set, and "Training mode" set for a couple of weeks and then to "Interactive" will also eventually piss you off, because it will keep throwing alerts even after like crazy, there are some MT members who have encountered the same and uninstalled Eset because of that, other settings should be tweaked by users personal preference, just make sure you go through everything). Take note that Eset in MH was tested in default settings, so obviously it failed against some stuff. Eset must be tweaked for it's protection to be efficient. Keep it simple and remember that less is better. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@HarborFront first of all don't get me wrong.
If you think that Eset is a middle performer maybe you should look out for another software.
Now about Eset you have to tweak it to get a better level of protection,especially you should tweak HIPS.
As for a 3rd party software right now i have add HMPA alongside, which i won here in MT, to better protect my browsing and the other software that i have installed.
Also if you want something for a back up i would suggest ZAL since it has better sigs than SuperAS.
I also agree with @davisd about Shadow Defender.

toto

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
I don't think that ESET is a medium performer when it comes to malware protection, if you can get used to it's HIPS then you can get very powerful protection.
Even if you set HIPS to smart, you will get enough protection for normal usage. As for the best protection against zero-day you can trust other recommendations given here :)

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I use the exact same setup as you do (excluding SuperAntiSpyware) and I feel no need to add anything else, although I have changed several of ESET's settings to enhance its protection which can be viewed on my configuration page if so desired.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I agree that AppGuard has its own weaknesses. But it can greatly aid in your protection because it is a different class in itself when paired with ESET, unlike with what you listed where ESET already covers. To be fair, though, what you listed are specialized, and therefore may be more effective than ESET's. :)
Yes, I can use varoius security software to form a security system with combo of free/paid software.

The other option is to use an ISS. Unless I disable some weak feature(s) and replace with some secuirty software otherwise there's not much I can do(play) with my system short of enabling the additional features in the ISS.

I'll consider AppGuard. Thanks

:)

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
ESET IS + VS is all I need for real-time protection (y) and it's light too, the more you add real-time security software the slower your system will be.
Why do you need SUPERAntispyware in real-time as a backup when you have VS as a backup witch is more powerful, even ESET is better than SUPERAntispyware.
Well, already paid for SUPERAntiSpyware so might well use it after all I see no conflict so far. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Weebarra

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
In Mh, they test avs in default settings but there are many things that you can enable or change.
like, set the firewall in interactive mode? enable the hips, enable DNA scanning, enable pup and unsafe programs detection and ...
I'm also looking at test lab results after all software sent there are tested with equal criteria besides the testing here. Yes, I know I need to enable the additional features which I'll look into the coming days. Thanks

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I was using Sandboxie/Shadow Defender at a time when I was using Eset and didn't see a need to add any other 3th party security software to over-complicate my setup, (only thing I will suggest is to use HIPS in "Smart mode" because then it will alert only about very suspicious system events, such as changes in system registry, active processes and programs. "Automatic" is useless if there is no pre-defined rules set, and "Training mode" set for a couple of weeks and then to "Interactive" will also eventually piss you off, because it will keep throwing alerts even after like crazy, there are some MT members who have encountered the same and uninstalled Eset because of that, other settings should be tweaked by users personal preference, just make sure you go through everything). Take note that Eset in MH was tested in default settings, so obviously it failed against some stuff. Eset must be tweaked for it's protection to be efficient. Keep it simple and remember that less is better. :)
Yah. SB is a good idea which I'll explore. I can KISS for an ISS. Thanks

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
ESET with proper HIPS option should be enough
ESET + VS free in autopilot would be even better. If you use VS in smart mode + ESET's HIPS, you will get too many popups to deal with

ESET + appguard: nah nah, 2 paid products in the same machine. I'm strongly against although they are very good. Never a fan of paid combos. 1 paid + 1 free or 2 free should be OK

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@HarborFront first of all don't get me wrong.
If you think that Eset is a middle performer maybe you should look out for another software.
Now about Eset you have to tweak it to get a better level of protection,especially you should tweak HIPS.
As for a 3rd party software right now i have add HMPA alongside, which i won here in MT, to better protect my browsing and the other software that i have installed.
Also if you want something for a back up i would suggest ZAL since it has better sigs than SuperAS.
I also agree with @davisd about Shadow Defender.
Like I mentioned I'm comparing ESET's performance here and with the test labs. So enabling more features and using other 3rd-party software for enhancement, if neceassary, will be my work for the coming days.

You use HMPA with ESET ISS? Do you disable the exploit and anti-ransom components in either to avoid conflict? I don't see a need to use ZAL if I have ESET ISS with HMPA.

Thanks

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I don't think that ESET is a medium performer when it comes to malware protection, if you can get used to it's HIPS then you can get very powerful protection.
Even if you set HIPS to smart, you will get enough protection for normal usage. As for the best protection against zero-day you can trust other recommendations given here :)
You mean ESET is not good enough against zero-day exploits and malware? Then I really need to enhance in this area.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: tonibalas and toto
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.