Status
Not open for further replies.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Hello!

I just received a genuine email from Symantec offering 10-user license keys for Norton Security with Backup (2015) valid for 1 year for being a beta tester... should I grab it?

I am currently using ESET Nod32 8 and I can use ESET 8 for as long as I want... Hmmm... I know both products are good and light, but ESET is a bit lighter.

I don't worry about Norton's average detections for I am a careful PC user. Maybe Norton's Backup of 25 GB is a big PLUS.

Or maybe I could use Norton for a year then return to ESET ;)

Reactions: frogboy and Kent

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
a really hard decision you have in your hands.eset is good and you know it since you have being using it. personally i used NIS 2014 and it was good little low on detection but good.it just had some false positives which i didn't like but norton firewall is good and it has many features you can find handy.
Anyway my suggestion is that since you have being using eset maybe you should try another product and from my experience i believe that you wont be disappointed by norton. i hope i have helped ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Check your messages to see my reply to why I recommend Norton Security. :)

To add:
ESET Nod32 Antivirus
ESET Smart Security

Norton Internet Security == Norton Security
Norton 360 == Norton Security with Backup

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
a really hard decision you have in your hands.eset is good and you know it since you have being using it. personally i used NIS 2014 and it was good little low on detection but good.it just had some false positives which i didn't like but norton firewall is good and it has many features you can find handy.
Anyway my suggestion is that since you have being using eset maybe you should try another product and from my experience i believe that you wont be disappointed by norton. i hope i have helped ;)
Thanks much.

UPDATE: I am using Windows 10 Tech Preview on my Main (and only) System, and Norton could not be installed on Windows Beta. ;(

Reactions: tonibalas

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
really sorry about that but if you install it later(since the license must be activated till december) i think you will enjoy it

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
then you have 2 options: 1) keep eset on windows 10 and 2) install norton on another pc with another OS. If the second option is not possible then you will continue with eset and lets be fair eset is a top security software so either way you will not lose which ever you use;):)

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
then you have 2 options: 1) keep eset on windows 10 and 2) install norton on another pc with another OS. If the second option is not possible then you will continue with eset and lets be fair eset is a top security software so either way you will not lose which ever you use;):)
Yes I am planning to install Norton on my brother's laptop but I worry because Norton is very new to him.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
i don't think you have nothing to worry about because as i remember Norton on default settings was running pretty good,security was good and it was light on system resources.So as i said don't worry and your brother will do just fine with Norton:)

BIgD1

Level 3
Verified
Oct 25, 2014
Norton is good, but ever since they started using the file reputation it is prone to false positives. And this all cloud thing they are doing now well just sucks. Desktop and cloud detection I have more faith in. And don't forget Norton crapped on a lot of people.

I tried NS back earlier in the month, and here is a screen shot of file rep working it's false magic once again. The file was Kaspersky Internet Security maintenance release 1. Even Norton says the file was 25 days old, so why the false positive?

nsfalsepositive.png

nsfalsepositive.png

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I will agree on those statements its either choose these two.

Norton = You want their own fully file reputation base feature if downloading stuffs in the internet however the auto protect (file shield) which may lead to not so good protection even thou SONAR (behavior blocker) will react always.

ESET = superb on all matters especially in file shield/ web shield protection, the only problem is the HIPS feature which design for experience users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.