App Review ESET NOD32 Antivirus Prevention Test (MrITReviews)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Feedback is always appreciated. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
thanks for the video!i`m using ESET right now and i kinda like it. :D

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
tipo said:
thanks for the video!i`m using ESET right now and i kinda like it. :D

I kinda like it too, one thing I like about it the most is that it's light on the system. :)

P

Plexx

By the looks of RC, they aint really doing much about its HIPS which is a pity.

With the current HIPS, I rather they would have switched to BB.

That and their still default settings set to Automatic which is basically pointless having it enabled if you are going to leave it as Automatic.

If only they would hear the public...

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
Biozfear said:
By the looks of RC, they aint really doing much about its HIPS which is a pity.

With the current HIPS, I rather they would have switched to BB.

That and their still default settings set to Automatic which is basically pointless having it enabled if you are going to leave it as Automatic.

If only they would hear the public...

I think they leave it at automatic for compatibility reasons, i have to agree with ESET on this one atleast for the AV,hips in automatic mode is better,but perhaps in ESS they can change the default setting.

P

Plexx

arsenaloyal said:
I think they leave it at automatic for compatibility reasons, i have to agree with ESET on this one atleast for the AV,hips in automatic mode is better,but perhaps in ESS they can change the default setting.

Automatic mode: Follow rules, if not, Allow.

Only 1 rule is defined: load drivers.

If that is the case, then have it disabled or on Learning mode as default.

I much rather pair it up with a BB. NOD32 paired with CFW and D+ nets way better results (HIPS) or even Emsisoft's BB.

Short answer: ESET HIPS for a beginner = no HIPS simply because the beginner will not drill in to find out whats automatic mode's rules nor configure them. If he/she has the brilliant idea of setting straight to Interactive mode, after a few programs being opened, chances of HIPS being disabled by the user are 99% due to the rain of alerts and questions.

If the user sets as Policy based and then starts running programs, no program will run since Policy based = Follow rules, if not, Block. This is 100% chance of user disabling or setting back to automatic, loosing the zero day protection.

Been like this since they incorporated HIPS. on RC still same rule.

Oh and initially until i believe the last build or last 2 builds, settings were Automatic Mode but no rules were present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.