Battle ESET + OSarmor or KIS + default deny mode: Which one is the best?

Software comparison
ESET Smart Security Premium
Kaspersky Internet Security
OSarmor
Feature comparison
  1. Ease of use
  2. Impact on hardware performance
  3. Core protection (malware and heuristic engine)
  4. Proactive protection (anti-exploit, behavior blocker, IDS-HIPS, sandbox)
  5. Network protection (firewall, anti-botnet)
  6. Ransomware protection

Andy Ful

Level 72
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Dec 23, 2014
KIS in @harlan4096 settings will be better for most Home users - it is a very strong and practical solution.
For static software setup, Eset (with HIPS tweaks) + OSA advanced tweaks can be stronger if one will allow in OSA the execution of Microsoft + only a few 3rd party vendors and block anything else.
In practice, you will not see any real advantage when choosing between both solutions.
The second solution will require some learning and much tweaking.

Last edited:

NewbyUser

Level 1
Jul 16, 2021
KIS in @harlan4096 settings will be better for most Home users - it is a very strong and practical solution.
For static software setup, Eset (with HIPS tweaks) + OSA advanced tweaks can be stronger if one will allow in OSA the execution of Microsoft + only a few 3rd party vendors and block anything else.
In practice, you will not see any real advantage when choosing between both solutions.
The second solution will require some learning and much tweaking
Is OSA really required with Eset? I think it's a bit overkill and Eset is quite capable of providing adequate protection.

Reactions: Dave Russo

Andy Ful

Level 72
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Dec 23, 2014
Is OSA really required with Eset? I think it's a bit overkill ...
It can be a kind of overkill depending on how the features of both solutions will overlap. Eset with some essential HIPS setup is enough for most users. Yet, in theory, such a setup will not be as strong as KIS with the @harlan4096 settings based on KSN file reputation.
If one would like to use very tight HIPS to cover well the modern threats, then the computer would be hardly usable for most users. Some of the OSA features can make the setup more usable and easier to deploy.

Reactions: harlan4096

NewbyUser

Level 1
Jul 16, 2021
It can be a kind of overkill depending on how the features of both solutions will overlap. Eset with some essential HIPS setup is enough for most users. Yet, in theory, such a setup will not be as strong as KIS with the @harlan4096 settings based on KSN file reputation.
If one would like to use very tight HIPS to cover well the modern threats, then the computer would be hardly usable for most users. Some of the OSA features can make the setup more usable and easier to deploy.
Yes there I agree. OSA is definitely “easier”. Just clicking a box lol. And I don’t see a way of duplicating the trusted provider aspect of OSA with Eset HIPS.