Advice Request Eset Scheduler Not Running On-Demand Scans

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ir0n

Thread author
Dec 22, 2015
I can't get the scheduler to run on-demand scans after the set time period it's supposed to run is passed. Would like to run a scan each Saturday morning and set it to run at 6:00 AM and have set it to run as soon as possible in case it didn't run at the scheduled time.

Now for as long as the PC is running before, the scan starts as intended at 6:00, however in case I only boot up the machine later Eset doesn't run the scan.

I messed around with the settings a bit, scheduled it daily at 6:00 AM but also tried single days and also checked both "run as soon as possible" or "immediately, if time since last run exceeds a specified value" but no matter what I try it only works in case the PC is up an running at the time in question.

Since I can't make it work on my notebook either, I am wondering if I simply misinterpret how the function should work in the first place - is it supposed to catch up on scans that got missed because the PC was powered down at all or only in case other settings (such as Game Mode) prevent the scans to run on schedule?

Infamous

Level 1
Verified
Dec 20, 2015
If your system is powered down at the time of the scheduled scan then it appears that the scheduled scan will be missed. This isn't such a bad idea, since if the system was powered down at the time of the scheduled scan and then powered on at a later time, it may then be inconvenient for the user to have the scan occur at that later delayed time. However, the good news is that there is a setting in ESET which will allow the scans to be caught up if the scheduled scans were missed (e.g. if the device was powered down at the time of the scheduled scan).

Please see the instructions provided by ESET here: How do I create a scheduled scan? (5.x)—ESET Knowledgebase
Check steps 7, it displays an example of setting an action for when the scheduled action was missed.

Hopefully someone who has experience with the scheduled scan will return to this thread and provide better information than me on the matter.

Hope this helped. ;)

Reactions: Ir0n and frogboy

Ir0n

Thread author
Dec 22, 2015
Thank you for the feedback - actually I tried the "Run the task immediately if the time since its last execution exceeds specified interval" setting but somehow it still doesn't work no matter what I try - for as long as the PC is off during the set schedule, that one gets skipped completely.

Reactions: Infamous

Infamous

Level 1
Verified
Dec 20, 2015
Thank you for the feedback - actually I tried the "Run the task immediately if the time since its last execution exceeds specified interval" setting but somehow it still doesn't work no matter what I try - for as long as the PC is off during the set schedule, that one gets skipped completely.
I'm really sorry, somehow I missed it in your post. It's not your fault, it's mine.

I'm afraid I'm not actually sure what the issue is myself; you could try reinstalling the ESET security software and see if this solves the issue, however the issue could be something separate, like a compatibility issue with other software installed on your system.

Out of interest (they may help with finding the issue - although I can only try):
Which ESET security product is this - for example, NOD32/Smart Security, and which version?
Has the on-demand scheduled scan issue been going on since you first installed the product or tried to use it, or has it recently stopped working?
Do you have any other security software other than ESET currently installed on your system?

Reactions: Ir0n

Ir0n

Thread author
Dec 22, 2015
I run the latest version (V9) of Nod32 (64bit version) on Windows 10, no other security software being installed in parallel - have reinstalled it a couple of times over the past weeks since in terms of overall performance impact it's the most lightweight antimalware solution I came across so far (would rank it slightly higher than Emsisoft at least on my machine).

The on-demand scheduled scans never worked when the system was turned off during the set time period - now I read in another thread that in order for the "run if the last execution exceeds a given interval" to work the scheduled scan needs to run at least once so the tool can determin the time period in between - I have now triggered the scheduled scan manually and will wait to see if tomorrow it will start by itself in case I miss the scheduled time (put it on daily for the moment so I can run more tests).

Reactions: Infamous

Ir0n

Thread author
Dec 22, 2015
I messed around with different on demand schedule settings, but no matter what I try the system doesnt run a missed scan the next time the system is up and running. Can't figure out why but it doesn't work neither on my desktop pc running W10 64bit nor my laptop which runs W7 64bit. Probably go back to Emsisoft as it's similar lightweight from my personal experience and runs scheduled scans as I expect it to.

Ir0n

Thread author
Dec 22, 2015
I tried, however the entire Nod32 section of Eset's forum is set to "You cannot start a new topic"

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.